Rumor: Multiple teams interested in Justin Brazeau (UPDATE: signs 2 year AHL deal with the Marlies)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A lot of people are saying he’s just dominating because he’s bigger than everyone else.

Thing is... he’lll still be 6’6 at the NHL level, and there aren’t many players with that size there either.

Yeah but you can get away with size at the lower levels. You can't just be bigger than everyone else and think it's going to work at the NHL level. Alexei Semenov was also 6'6 and upon reaching the NHL with limited talent was only able to be a 7D at best for about three seasons' worth of games spanned over six seasons. You gotta be more than just big to succeed.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Of course, I also think of a guy like Boko Imama who scored 41 goals his overage season in the Q, and isn't even an AHL'er as a pro.

Or, I mean, Dave MacLean or Norm Milley or a million other guys.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah but you can get away with size at the lower levels. You can't just be bigger than everyone else and think it's going to work at the NHL level. Alexei Semenov was also 6'6 and upon reaching the NHL with limited talent was only able to be a 7D at best for about three seasons' worth of games spanned over six seasons. You gotta be more than just big to succeed.
Now that's a name I haven't heard in awhile.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Who would you rather have as a prospect going forward? Who seems more promising?

Justin Brazeau (RW) - 21 years - 6'6 - undrafted - 61 goals, 113 points in latest CHL season - notable improvement on a year to year basis

or

Tage Thompson (RW) - 21 years - 6'6 - 1st round 26th overall in '16 - nearly PPG in last college season (U of Connecticut) - 10 goals, 21 points in 104 NHL games

Similar styles, concerns, and builds. No agenda. Just curious...

This was the name that came to mind for me too. Seem pretty similar.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Go ahead and find me an undrafted player that played their overage season in the CHL that became an NHL player. It doesn't happen.
David Clarkson is close to meeting that criteria. It’s not impossible for undrafted players to have have use to existing clubs. I doubt anyone’s considering him a key place but things like skating, shot and passion can be gauged without watching other players. Personally I feel as though that type of player needs to accept a two way contract or even tryout but if he’s really getting so many suitors it can’t hurt to ask for one team to give him an entry deal and set themselves apart.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
c'mon now, there is a reason why most of these undrafted players were not drafted..... the common excuse is there were underrated.... none of these teams saw any upside.

now does that mean they will not be a viable addition to a team ?? how bout the idea that maybe, just maybe they develop late.

let each one of them prove themselves in training camp.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Why compare him to who is already drafted, this is a freebie pickup, not a trade or a used draft pick. If it does not work out, oh well AHL depth. Maybe pair him with an talented centerman who can see the ice and hang on to it, is not fast and needs a power forward RW = Krejci.

Reactions: LDF

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Beware of the big shiny stats from older players is all I mean. Depends too on how much this guy wants and whether or not you can convince him to take a 2 way deal? By the sounds of things he wants an NHL only contract.

But why? I understand the logic, but I think it's worth questioning from time to time.

130 points suggests this guy is TOO GOOD for the OHL. Why does it really matter how old he is or how big he is, or how good he was when he was 18 competing with peers to be drafted? He's good now... too good for the OHL.

The next step in the progression is AHL and then maybe NHL. It's not a race and it doesn't really matter how you get there if you eventually arrive.

My point is drafting players at 18 has a built in bias and forces a false equivalency... that by 18 years old, all those kids are equal in terms of: 1) coaching, 2) training and fitness, 3) fully grown, 4) maturity, 5) health in their draft year, 6) playing situation in their draft year etc, etc... and thus we can evaluate what separates them as their "skill" and therefore "potential".

But really we don't care what they look like at 18... we care how they are going to perform at 24, 25, etc.

I read the coach's comments... interesting. And I don't know what size he was at 18... maybe HE was the one disadvantaged by the draft system because he was still small (or recently grown and thus awkward/uncoordinated)... and the kid drafted beside him who was 5'11 for three years, fully adjusted to just an average frame was the one advantaged by the 18 year draft system. You just can't know for sure... Obviously this kid has improved each year, and there's only one next logical step (or two if he skips a step).

This story reminds me a little bit about Dustin Penner
Dustin Penner - Wikipedia

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Is he a late bloomer? or just another overager that dominates smaller/younger players that cant even make it in the AHL.

It's been stated he doesn't "physically dominate" these players, so maybe his "size" advantage is simply that now he can dangle wider, and leverage a wrist shot harder.

Players in the NHL aren't the same age or the same size. This guy has a collection of skills & attributes that make him better than anyone in the league he's playing in. The only way to know whether that collection of skills & attributes will translate to the next level is to play there.

Reactions: LDF

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This was the name that came to mind for me too. Seem pretty similar.
Guys in college are playing against men. Guys in the CHL are playing against mostly boys. The is a huge difference between US college players’ physical maturity and that of the guys in the CHL. A 6’6” 21 year old in the CHL is going to dominate by just standing in front of the net.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He's a free asset. I'd rather try him in our team versus a few of the guys we have been trying that simply don't work.

Reactions: bukwas

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Somebody will give the kid a shot. Nobody could be bothered to squander a draft pick on Myers but i bet there are a few who regret it now. As long as there is room to absorb him on the farm and there are elements to his game that are attractive why not take on the challenge of developing his game to a pro level. If you don't have room in the system or are at/near the contract limit then you pass. Even if he bombs out completely and the ROI is 0 the loss is still less than a 7th rd draft pick and who really worries about those not panning out.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I watched him play for the battalion in his first few seasons back when I was living in North Bay and the kid improved noticeably each season so you have to give him some credit. He obviously put the work in every offseason to eventually become a dominant player in the O and that's not as insignificant as some might think. Big and skilled, not particularly physical. Reminded me a lot of Nick Paul who was also a late bloomer that worked his way onto a team Canada roster but seemingly hasn't been able to take the next step at the pro level. Brazeau might ultimately have the same career path but taking a flier on a young player that destroyed the best Junior league in the world seems like a no brainer. I'm sure every team would have interest on an AHL contract, we'll see if anyone is willing to cough up an ELC... for his sake I hope he gets it

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
A lot of people are saying he’s just dominating because he’s bigger than everyone else.

Thing is... he’lll still be 6’6 at the NHL level, and there aren’t many players with that size there either.

If all it took to make the NHL was being 6'6, there would be lots of them.

Of coure, it takes more then that.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Interesting response here, overall it is a negative response but when Dallas signed Felhaber it was generally positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad