Post-Game Talk: Muller saves his job with 3 PP goals! Evans, Suzuki and Fleury impress! Habs win 4-0 vs Sens

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Well, you're in the PGT of a preseason game saying ''if anyone still thinks Danault lacks IQ and is watching the games''...So ya, kinda referring to how he's currently performing (on top of other seasons).

I like how you're trying to tell me what I meant rather than saying, "Sorry, I thought you meant this pre-season."

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I disagree.

Bergevin is a very low bar to set. Just because he had the role doesn't automatically make him better than some of the posters here.

Yes, there's more to the job and yes most here would fail at it. But I'd put my money that there are probably more than a few here who could pull it off and at a minimum wouldn't have ****ed up the core that MB inherited.

MB basically walked into a young core that needed very little to contend. It needed a good coach and a couple of players. Yes, we needed a center but we might've even had that too if we'd used our centers properly.

Instead it was a fiasco of epic proportions and we wasted a good young core only to have to restart things - AGAIN.

It's hard to envision how anyone could've done any worse than that to be honest. All he had to do was not **** things up.

I'm not say there aren't posters on HF that couldn't do the job, but I think there's much more to the job than what we talk about here and it's not as easy as many of us make it out to be.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Can you guys stop with this? No, no one on this board is cut out to be an NHL general manager. Most of us carry a lunch pail to work and our biggest financial transaction was taking on our personal mortgage.
Hmm..sure...same is true of almost every NHL player, heck, most don't even have college degrees. But once they retire, they get hired by teams and go through training to move up the executive ladder.

Most would be star stuck if we saw an NHL tweener in the flesh, or set foot in an NHL dressing room.
Sounds like Geoff Molson actually...
I saw plenty of Habs on nights out, couldn't care less, never asked for a picture, never took a picture in hiding, didn't text friends to say ''OMG..guess who's next to me??''..So, I don't know man, speak for yourself there.
Very few of us have ever had to fire someone, let alone being responsible for the hiring of an entire department.
Neither did Bergevin or plenty of other ex-player turned GM.
None of us have spoke in front of the media, all of us have said ridiculously wrong things online that if in the position would haunt us forever as having zero knowledge of the sport.
Hmm..so? Considering how terrible some of these guys handle media, hard to imagine anybody could do a lot worse. Actually, I think a lot would at least sound a lot better simply from being able to adequately speak in two languages or at the very least one.
Who cares about what we've said online, that PR related, changes nothing on your ability to be the General Manager.

I could go on and on.

Stop with the delusion. Some may have the potential and the ability to be a pro, but no, nobody on this board "could have done a better job" over the past few years than Bergevin.
You don't know that, you don't even actually know who writes here or what their backgrounds are.
If people had the same leash, budget and freedom to build something, who knows.
I will agree that, well, it's impossible to know. Deciding whether or not to re-sign this guy or that guy, move him instead, etc, all easily written on a board with no consequences, sure, I get that.
But that doesn't mean some grown people here wouldn't have been able to do something better.
Considering Bergevin has been pretty lost on this job and just freestyle, the bar to beat ain't set very high.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotProkofievian

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I would have put Poehling in and kept Suzuki as an injury callup just so he could get some AHL experience. But given how well he's played and Poehling's injury... I think you're right. He's shown he's ready. Give him a shot.

I wish CJ would put him with KK though. I'd love to see how that would work. I realize they're both young but again... that's what the preseason is for.
I wouldn't be opposed to him and KK being out together, both are strong on both sides of the puck. I think CJ is probably unlikely to see it that way, but that is what I would like to see too.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I like how you're trying to tell me what I meant rather than saying, "Sorry, I thought you meant this pre-season."

Why should I apologize?..Couldn't I just say the same thing to you? You should simply say ''oh my bad, I can see how that was confusing''....That would be stupid right? Same same.

I was just showing you the context with the use of grammar. It's all good man. No need for anybody to apologize and I already moved on from that in my post drawing a comparison to Plekanec to actually discuss Danault.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
So... Lehkonen-Domi-Gallagher were very good together
Tatar-Danault-Suzuki were excellent aswell.

That leaves us with Drouin-KK-Weal and then Hudon-Cousins-Armia ? Byron takes hudon’s spot when he comes back.

Current line up expected :
Lehkonen-Domi-Gallagher
Tatar-Dumb player-Suzuki
Drouin-KK-Weal
Byron-Cousins-Armia
Hudon/Thompson

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Fleury
Folin

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Why should I apologize?..Couldn't I just say the same thing to you? You should simply say ''oh my bad, I can see how that was confusing''....That would be stupid right? Same same.

I was just showing you the context with the use of grammar. It's all good man. No need for anybody to apologize and I already moved on from that in my post drawing a comparison to Plekanec to actually discuss Danault.

Fair enough.

I'm also not saying Danault is a superstar by any stretch, but he's vastly underrated offensively by many on this board. He's a good 2nd line centre in his prime, like Plekanec was.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not say there aren't posters on HF that couldn't do the job, but I think there's much more to the job than what we talk about here and it's not as easy as many of us make it out to be.
Totally agree on that front. There are personal skills required that some may not possess.

Thing is though, you can mitigate some of this by hiring the right people to help you. As an example, I certainly woudln't have not returned Larry Robinson's call. If anything, I'd have reached out to him right away. I wouldn't be calling up buddies for positions, I'd be looking for experienced competent people. Robinson would be at the top of that list.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

That leaves us with Drouin-KK-Weal and then Hudon-Cousins-Armia ? Byron takes hudon’s spot when he comes back.

Lehkonen-Domi-Gallagher
Tatar-Dumb player-Suzuki
Drouin-KK-Weal
Byron-Cousins-Armia
Hudon/Thompson

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Fleury
Folin
Suddenly the lineup looks not too bad with Suzuki in the lineup and Weal looking like he found another gear.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Fair enough.

I'm also not saying Danault is a superstar by any stretch, but he's vastly underrated offensively by many on this board. He's a good 2nd line centre in his prime, like Plekanec was.

I think Plekanec might be a step above, he's more of an Eller to me. Perhaps just a notch higher, slightly below Plek. I always felt Plekanec could have produced more if he had better support. He did that everytime he had some with Koivu or Gomez. He had a career year with 69pts being used in a more offensive role with Kovalev-AKost, but then followed it up with a bad season. The entire squad had issues though that year.
Gomez came in to help instead of Koivu, Plekanec enjoyed again some defensive relief shared duties with SG, which lead to another career year. After that, Gomez went off the map, and for the rest of his time here, Plekanec was given the heavy defensive responsibilities as we had to shelter the top 2 center, namely DD.
I think Plekanec could have been a steady 60+ guy if he had a healthy Koivu-Gomez type of center to support him.
I don't see Danault having that much ability up front...could be wrong.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

Lehkonen-Domi-Gallagher
Tatar-Dumb player-Suzuki
Drouin-KK-Weal
Byron-Cousins-Armia
Hudon/Thompson

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Fleury
Folin

Right now I'm at:

Lehkonen - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - Danault - Suzuki
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Cousin - Evans - Weal
(Thompson)

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
(Reilly, Folin)

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Preseason is a key word to understand and include in all the current talks.
To me, no veterans should ever be evaluated on preseason. Drouin looks like crap...Danault looks great..meh, means nothing. Most NHLers aren't pushing themselves, and half the others wont even be playing in the league.

It's good to see how kids perform, which ones are really pushing the envelop and forcing management to give them a shot at staying with the club longer because they might actually be NHL ready.
How a guy like Danault plays...pretty irrelevant to me.

Danault looking great in the preseason means nothing because he’s been playing well for several years now!

God this is a frustrating subject.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hmm..sure...same is true of almost every NHL player, heck, most don't even have college degrees. But once they retire, they get hired by teams and go through training to move up the executive ladder.

Sounds like Geoff Molson actually...
I saw plenty of Habs on nights out, couldn't care less, never asked for a picture, never took a picture in hiding, didn't text friends to say ''OMG..guess who's next to me??''..So, I don't know man, speak for yourself there.

Neither did Bergevin or plenty of other ex-player turned GM.

Hmm..so? Considering how terrible some of these guys handle media, hard to imagine anybody could do a lot worse. Actually, I think a lot would at least sound a lot better simply from being able to adequately speak in two languages or at the very least one.
Who cares about what we've said online, that PR related, changes nothing on your ability to be the General Manager.

You don't know that, you don't even actually know who writes here or what their backgrounds are.
If people had the same leash, budget and freedom to build something, who knows.
I will agree that, well, it's impossible to know. Deciding whether or not to re-sign this guy or that guy, move him instead, etc, all easily written on a board with no consequences, sure, I get that.
But that doesn't mean some grown people here wouldn't have been able to do something better.
Considering Bergevin has been pretty lost on this job and just freestyle, the bar to beat ain't set very high.
I know if you're a frequent poster here you're likely not a general manager or CEO of anything significant.

That said, I'm not denying that there are some very bright people here that would have the capacity to do the job with the proper training and onboarding etc.

I've been here long enough to also know that pretty much everyone of these bright posters have had a hot take or 2 which would have ravaged the team way worse than a bridge deal or keeping a coach around too long.

Many are way too stubborn and proud to do the job, this is easy to see with the daily online interactions they participate in.

Basically, the posters I think could be NHL general managers would have way too much self awareness and humility to ever suggest they could do the job.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know if you're a frequent poster here you're likely not a general manager or CEO of anything significant.

That said, I'm not denying that there are some very bright people here that would have the capacity to do the job with the proper training and onboarding etc.

I've been here long enough to also know that pretty much everyone of these bright posters have had a hot take or 2 which would have ravaged the team way worse than a bridge deal or keeping a coach around too long.

Many are way too stubborn and proud to do the job, this is easy to see with the daily online interactions they participate in.

Basically, the posters I think could be NHL general managers would have way too much self awareness and humility to ever suggest they could do the job.
There's zero doubt it would require preparation and NOBODY here could just walk into the job and do it day one.

Again though, by surrounding yourself with experienced people you'd make things a lot easier on yourself. Good leaders also delegate tasks to others with experience.

As an example, I could see people here actually hiring SL for the minors. He had a resume and got a shot... no problem with that I guess. Mistakes happen.

But none of the posters I can think of (and I'm not naming them because I don't want this thread to go there) would've held onto him as long as they did. None of the guys I can think of would've hired Therrien to begin with because he was a known entity and none of them would've ignored Larry Robinson's phone call.

Would those people get goosebumps walking into the Hab dressing room? Sure. Who wouldn't? I bet that's the case for each one of our players/GMs/coach's the first time they do so as well. But they'd get over that really quickly.

Don't want to fire somebody or tell them they've been traded? There's always the option of having somebody else do it. Delegate things you aren't good at. That's what leaders do. Personally I think it should come from the GM but... whatever.

And FOR SURE there would be mistakes. Everybody makes them. But again the bar for success here is very low if we're comparing it vs MB.

Reactions: habergeon

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I think Plekanec might be a step above, he's more of an Eller to me. Perhaps just a notch higher, slightly below Plek. I always felt Plekanec could have produced more if he had better support. He did that everytime he had some with Koivu or Gomez. He had a career year with 69pts being used in a more offensive role with Kovalev-AKost, but then followed it up with a bad season. The entire squad had issues though that year.
Gomez came in to help instead of Koivu, Plekanec enjoyed again some defensive relief shared duties with SG, which lead to another career year. After that, Gomez went off the map, and for the rest of his time here, Plekanec was given the heavy defensive responsibilities as we had to shelter the top 2 center, namely DD.
I think Plekanec could have been a steady 60+ guy if he had a healthy Koivu-Gomez type of center to support him.
I don't see Danault having that much ability up front...could be wrong.
That's a fair take, both on Plekanec and Danault. Phil is closer to Plekanec than Eller in that he has a clearly above average hockey IQ. He's similar to Eller in the way he can protect the puck with his body, whereas Plekanec had to use his speed and quick plays with supporting line mates in order to avoid the check. Danault doesn't have the shot of either of those guys, but he's a more intelligent puck distributor.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Again, I disagree, and it's important you understand that Bergevin is viewed as a terrible GM. Nobody here is suggesting they could have done a better job than what George McPhee pulled in Vegas, or what Yzerman built in Tampa. We're talking about the terrible work from Bergevin that's lead us to missing the POs 3 out 4 years entering his 8th season. If we miss them again this year, we will have gone through the worst 5 year stretch of our entire 100 year + history.

So again, ya, the bar to beat ain't set very high.

As for the stubborness displayed here...it's an internet forum mate and people know they come here to shoot the shit. Pretty sure the discourse in person would be very different than most discussions here.
That being said, talking about stubborness and humility...man, have you not watched or listened to his press conferences over the years? The Man claimed a few years ago how the last good center traded was freaking Joe Thornton..that's in 2005 in case you don't remember. Come on man.

Again, nobody is suggesting they could be great GMs, they are saying how they possibly could have done a better job than this bozo who's going on the worst possible stretch in Habs history. Just like plenty of folks could have done better than Houle, I'm sure of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad