Mueller

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
He was hyped huge on these boards at the start of the season...

Link?

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I dont mind him and actually like his game...but he didnt go forwards in the draft rankings throughout the year...

So what? He was rated very high to begin with, and the individual draft rankings (CSS, McKeens, etc.) are subjective and vary greatly.

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I dont think that many teams would take him over Staal or Toews at this point...if any teams and thats what your saying you would do as a Blues fan.

That's right -- although, if you'll notice, I did infer that Staal would be a consideration for me as well, "a big, skilled, playmaking center" -- and I explained my reasons in my original post, but I'll add a little more clarification here.

In the playoffs (WCHA tournament and NCAA tournament), Toews was decent, with 5-6-11 totals in 8 games. Plus-7, 0 PIM, 1 PPG, 0 GWG.

In the OHL playoffs, Staal's got 4-1-5 totals in 10 games, with a minus-1 and 8 PIM. 3 PPG, 1 GWG.

In the WHL playoffs, Mueller is 5-4-9 in 9 games,with a plus-8 and 4 PIM. 2 PPG, 2 GWG.

Staal isn't stepping up when it matters. To be fair to him, he's very young, and his team has other top-notch players to pick up the slack.

Toews stepped up in the playoffs, but was pretty much a non-factor in UND's loss to BC, when he needed to step up a little further and get the Sioux to the championship game.

To be honest, I don't see the big deal about Toews. He's got good numbers, sure, but the three times I saw him play, he didn't impress me greatly. Admittedly, I was focused on TJ Oshie -- and since you're in Brandon, I'd be very interested in your take on Ryan Reaves -- but Toews didn't stand out and grab my attention in those games.

Mueller is a point-per-game playoff performer, leading his team, has a solid plus/minus, and has accounted for 40% of Everett's game-winning goals in the playoffs so far.

Based on that, it's hardly out of the realm of possiblity that Mueller would get some consideration as a very high pick. I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but scouts do tend to watch how players perform in crunch time... ;)

P_B

:bow: :blues

Tinordi24*

Belfast Giants said:
What the physical element of his game like? Has he got a mean streak with his game and does he like to drop the mits if he has to?

Seems like the textbook powerforward from what I've read above and you cant beat the leadership qualitites.

I'm curious about this too if anyone has comments...

Tipped Off

Well..

...as a STH of the Tips, I can't recall Mueller ever dropping the Mitts. I was on him pretty good for his "soft" play throughout the first part of the season. I even posted something on the Tips board early in the year about how I thought he was under performing based on the hype....that being said, I think the 2nd half of the season and especially the post season he has definately lived up to his billing.

In the regular season I saw him board guys, but nothing like I've seen out of him in the post season. He is playing with grit and heart like I haven't seen from him early on. He has been a big "team first" guy. In fact, one of my complaints about him is that he has great moves and a great/quick/powerful shot, but he tends to pass them up to make the pass to a team mate who maybe doesn't have quite as much finishing skill. I'd actually like to see him take those chances himself.

Tinordi24*

Tipped Off said:
...as a STH of the Tips, I can't recall Mueller ever dropping the Mitts. I was on him pretty good for his "soft" play throughout the first part of the season. I even posted something on the Tips board early in the year about how I thought he was under performing based on the hype....that being said, I think the 2nd half of the season and especially the post season he has definately lived up to his billing.

In the regular season I saw him board guys, but nothing like I've seen out of him in the post season. He is playing with grit and heart like I haven't seen from him early on. He has been a big "team first" guy. In fact, one of my complaints about him is that he has great moves and a great/quick/powerful shot, but he tends to pass them up to make the pass to a team mate who maybe doesn't have quite as much finishing skill. I'd actually like to see him take those chances himself.

Great info. Seems like he is getting comfortable and asserting himself.

For a guy with his size and apparent outlook I have to admit I'm a bit dissappointed that he doesn't like dropping the gloves. But everything else sounds good as being a Caps fan I have a feeling we will be taking him at the 4 or 5 spot....our GM loves WHL players and seems to love drafting them in the 1st round.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Prussian_Blue said:
To be honest, I don't see the big deal about Toews. He's got good numbers, sure, but the three times I saw him play, he didn't impress me greatly. Admittedly, I was focused on TJ Oshie -- and since you're in Brandon, I'd be very interested in your take on Ryan Reaves -- but Toews didn't stand out and grab my attention in those games.

I dont think that Toews is going to be a big time scorer......I really dont see scouts as looking at him for that either that much........I mean he is a guy that will chip in with some points but that isnt going to be the big part of his game, or what gets him drafted higher then someone like Mueller.....IMO scouts are looking at his all around game........hes going to be a very solid defender who chips in with points, but he wont be your top line scoring player i dont think.

As for Reaves.....I like Reaves quite a bit......he hits like a freaking train.....he tends to look lazy from time to time, but this could be a result of him being so huge and moving slowly........he def. needs to work on his defence and skating as well finishing around the net......He doesnt fight nearly like he should.....being a WK season tick holder for the past decade ive seen allmost every homegame hes played and this past season he may have fought 3 or 4 times......he is a huge guy and should play rougher then he does.
Reaves had a sub standard regular season this year and I think maybe even looked better in his rookie year then he did this past year.....however when playoffs came around he played a great series vs Moose Jaw and hit absolutely everything in sight......he was a big reason the WK's were right in the series vs MJ.
2 years in a row he had a very good playoff run.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Off topic but

Mueller's prospect game jersey just went for $1755.00 on the real auction website.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I dont think that Toews is going to be a big time scorer......I really dont see scouts as looking at him for that either that much........I mean he is a guy that will chip in with some points but that isnt going to be the big part of his game, or what gets him drafted higher then someone like Mueller.....IMO scouts are looking at his all around game........hes going to be a very solid defender who chips in with points, but he wont be your top line scoring player i dont think.

OK, fair enough. If Toews does all that, he'd be a good fit in St. Louis, and I wouldn't object to picking him in any case.

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
As for Reaves.....I like Reaves quite a bit......he hits like a freaking train.....he tends to look lazy from time to time, but this could be a result of him being so huge and moving slowly........he def. needs to work on his defence and skating as well finishing around the net......He doesnt fight nearly like he should.....being a WK season tick holder for the past decade ive seen allmost every homegame hes played and this past season he may have fought 3 or 4 times......he is a huge guy and should play rougher then he does.
Reaves had a sub standard regular season this year and I think maybe even looked better in his rookie year then he did this past year.....however when playoffs came around he played a great series vs Moose Jaw and hit absolutely everything in sight......he was a big reason the WK's were right in the series vs MJ.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them very much.

Reaves intrigues me somewhat, as I think the Blues have a place for a real heavyweight who can keep opposition thugs (like that $%^&@#! Jody Shelley :rant: :madfire: ) honest... but if he doesn't fight, he'd better bring a little more offense to the table.

P_B

:bow: :blues

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
This guy reminds me so much of watching Nedved in junior, all offence and just hating the physical play. This guy can play, he is very confident and very skilled. I think he could be a great NHL player but could also be a Brendl as well. Other than his lack of physical play there is nothing wrong at all with his game, he can shoot, pass, skate and he has size.

I give him a lot of credit the WHL have not called anything in the playoffs, basically its a free for all with the clutching and grabbing and Peter has found a way to still put up points and be a very good player. Scouts will be loving the way he has played so far.

Its funny, you watch him and you cant put a finger on it but there is something you dont like. Maybe its the long hair, pretty boy look, but for some reason he seems too soft but he gets it done. He'll never be a 4th line rookie like Getzlaf or Perry I dont think, he'd kill you defensively so who knows.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

I agree with what you say about Toews being drafted so high for more reasons than just his offense. But I also think that he WILL eventually turn into a first line center. He was the leading point getter on his team at Shattuck when he was 16 years old. The first year in the NCAA is tough, but I think Toews' 38 jpoints was very respectable. He really turned it on towards the end of the year also. Remember, before the season he was said by most people to have great hockey sense, incredible vision, and incredible hands. You could see all those things come out, especially after the world juniors. Most of his assists were just unbelievable tic-tac-toe plays(watch the first assist from the Michigan game.) He DOES have great offensive ability but he spent most of this season honing his defensive skills(which is what the coaches at North Dakota typically do with freshman). Next year I believe he will put up at least 55 points in the NCAA and show his awesome offensive ability. I can see him developing into a Lecavalier type player.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
crosby_87 said:
I agree with what you say about Toews being drafted so high for more reasons than just his offense. But I also think that he WILL eventually turn into a first line center. He was the leading point getter on his team at Shattuck when he was 16 years old. The first year in the NCAA is tough, but I think Toews' 38 jpoints was very respectable. He really turned it on towards the end of the year also. Remember, before the season he was said by most people to have great hockey sense, incredible vision, and incredible hands. You could see all those things come out, especially after the world juniors. Most of his assists were just unbelievable tic-tac-toe plays(watch the first assist from the Michigan game.) He DOES have great offensive ability but he spent most of this season honing his defensive skills(which is what the coaches at North Dakota typically do with freshman). Next year I believe he will put up at least 55 points in the NCAA and show his awesome offensive ability. I can see him developing into a Lecavalier type player.

And don't forget he scored more goals in the NCAA than the "Offensive Dynamo" Kessel.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Belfast Giants said:
What the physical element of his game like? Has he got a mean streak with his game and does he like to drop the mits if he has to?

Seems like the textbook powerforward from what I've read above and you cant beat the leadership qualitites.
Not physical enough to be a powerforward I don't think. He's big and pretty strong and definitely hard to take off the puck, but he doesn't throw his weight around much. He's getting better at using his size, but I don't think he has the aggression to ever be a power forward. I don't know if he fights, but I've never seen it.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
Have you seen either of Staal or Toews play much? How would Mueller compare to those two? I'm more interested in Staal, as I am concerned his name might get him a little more credit than he deserves.
I have seen Mueller a couple of times, and Staal quite a few, and Mueller impressed me more.

Staal is a solid prospect for sure, but the games I saw him play he was mostly invisible, his teammates like Downie and Ryder obviously overshadowed him, but I expected more out of him, not that he's a bad prospect though, I would certainly take him in the top ten, but not ahead of Mueller, and likely not ahead of Backstrom from what I hear of him.

Mueller is really sublime, that is a great way of describing him RR, I can see a little Hawerchuk and a little Nedved in his game for sure. The guy he reminds me of the most if Alexei Zhamnov though, and I mean that in a positive way.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
letterH said:
This guy reminds me so much of watching Nedved in junior, all offence and just hating the physical play. This guy can play, he is very confident and very skilled. I think he could be a great NHL player but could also be a Brendl as well. Other than his lack of physical play there is nothing wrong at all with his game, he can shoot, pass, skate and he has size.

I give him a lot of credit the WHL have not called anything in the playoffs, basically its a free for all with the clutching and grabbing and Peter has found a way to still put up points and be a very good player. Scouts will be loving the way he has played so far.

Its funny, you watch him and you cant put a finger on it but there is something you dont like. Maybe its the long hair, pretty boy look, but for some reason he seems too soft but he gets it done. He'll never be a 4th line rookie like Getzlaf or Perry I dont think, he'd kill you defensively so who knows.
I disagree on a few points here. It's true, he isn't a physical force, but it's not like he shys away from contact or is afraid to go in the corners. Also, this part of his game has gotten better over the course of the season. Also, the reffing from what I have seen has been pretty on and off. Some nights they call nothing, other nights it seems like they're doing a reasonable job.

Most of all I disagree with the idea that he is poor defensively. One of the things I like best about him is that he is sound defensively and is pretty committed to working hard in all three zones. Certainly one of the more complete 17 year olds around, and I think he has to be to get the ice time he does under Constantine.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I think that people def though the would light up the league and be one of the best players in it......hes not a 16 year old rookie in the league he was a rook in his draft elligible year.
I think he battled inconsistency all season and it caused him to fall down a lot of scouts rankings.....earlier in this year he was clearly thought of as the number 3 or 4 on the draft board...now i would be surprised if he goes before 6-7.....in fact he is my pick this year to be the guy who falls a little ways down when projected to be near the top.

The thing is, he did light up the league.

If you pro-rate his stats for the time he missed due to injury/WJCs, he finishes 8th in league scoring with 80+ points - right with a top-10 pick like Setoguchi. And is again amongst the leading scorers in the playoffs. Damn impressive given who he plays for.

There was no way in hell he was ever going to score 100 points in that league on that team, no matter who he was.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
Have you seen either of Staal or Toews play much? How would Mueller compare to those two? I'm more interested in Staal, as I am concerned his name might get him a little more credit than he deserves.
More like Toews that Staal definitely. Mueller and Toews have at least a few things in common, including that they both have pretty well rounded games for being 17 year olds with top end talent. Both also are smart and use that to be in the right place to make up for their lack of elite speed. Toews I think has more grit, and seems to embrace physical contact and win battles with guys bigger and stronger than him, but like Mueller he doesn't initiate a lot of contact or throw his weight around much. Mueller from what I've seen has a better shot I think, but Toews might be a slightly better passer. Both are reported to have great leadership qualities, and certainly both have a very good work ethic and commitment to playing the whole ice with and without the puck. Toews has a quality about him though, a winner at all levels, and he seems crafty or something (not sure if crafty is the right word).

Staal is a lot more raw than both of these guys, but also has a lot higher potential. He's got a huge frame, and when he fills out, look out. He has a silky smooth long stride, but not the strength in his legs yet to really fly, but I think he eventually will be a great skater. Long reach that makes it hard to take the puck away from him too, and soft hands, great finish, great stickhandler, finds a way to create room for himself in small spaces.... I'm drooling at my keyboard right now, heh. Unlike Mueller or Toews, though, he's very raw and really needs to work on the completeness of his game. He also needs to work on his consistency and maximizing the amazing tools he has. This is where his bloodlines come into play a little. In part because of the track his brothers have followed, people are expecting a similarly steep development curve from him. I should mention, though, that I've never seen Staal live, and I've only seen him a few times on TV, so I should be wary of jumping on board a little quick, but with some guys I just can't help being reeled in right away.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Somewhat comparable to Craig Conroy?

Team first guy, but not quite captain material. Lacking first line skill, but steps it up in the playoffs. Good two-way guy, but not a phsyical as you would hope for.

:dunno:

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
I would say that Conroy is more of an energy, high-strung, constant motor running type of player while Mueller looks like he just lumbers around. For all the things I like about Mueller's game he is a bit of a floater. Like it has been written above his strengths are his strength with the puck, a load to move from infront of the net, and his passing(vision).

CycloneTaylor

Apr 17, 2006
Mueller's got to realize that that he'll never fall to the Leafs if he keeps this up. That would be a good day for sure. All he would need is a fresh haircut. Honestly though the kid had a pretty solid year and played pretty well on an american wjc team that imploded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->