Muckler wants Carey Price

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by DaveMatthew, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. DaveMatthew

DaveMatthew Registered User

John Muckler was just on the Team 1200, and he basically said that he will take Carey Price at #9 if he is available. He said he likes that Price is big, athletic, and "close".

Otherwise, he said that they will go with best player available if Price is gone.

2. Vincent_TheGreat

Vincent_TheGreat Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    I don't like him that early, but then again what does Ottawa need most?

3. Tap on the Ankle

Tap on the Ankle expert analysis

I'm not sure what to think about that. Carey Price, ehhh.... I'd rather them take Bourret, Skille, or O'Marra. But I suppose we do need a goalie. However, this now shows that Muckler isn't as high on Emery as we all thought, which is good, because I'm not too high on him either.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Carey Price will be available at the 9th spot. The teams drafting top 6 will go after Crosby, Johnson, Brule, Poiliot, Ryan, and Kopitar. The Blackhawks might take him at 7th, but I think there's a better chance they take a forward like Skille or O'Marra. The Thrashers, picking at 8th, sure as hell won't select Price.

4. Le Golie

Le Golie ...

I don't think this is a great fit unless Hasek can carry the ball for four more years. Hearing Muckler saying Price is 'close' is very weird. Price is close athletically, but needs a ton of work on fundamentals.

Who is going to fill the gap? I'm not sure Hasek can do it this year, let alone be the backbone until Price is ready. And let's be honest, it is doubtful that Emery will be a future championship calibre goaltender in the NHL. I think Ottawa would be best served to trade for a good goalie in his late 20's or early 30's and have him give the Sens long term stability in goal.

5. Egil

Egil Registered User

Home Page:
    I think Muckler is trying to draw a team to trade up before #9 to take Price, saving an extra skater for the Sens.

6. The Mars Volchenkov

The Mars Volchenkov Registered User

Please Muckler, take Jack Skille!

7. Clutch Mediocrity

Clutch Mediocrity Registered User

Home Page:
    If you're saying Emery won't be some league-best, super All-Star I agree. But I still no reason why he can't be a good starter. I'm not much higher on Price than I am on Razor and don't really want a goalie in the 1st round unless we're trading down for one. At #9 I think we have to draft a skater.

8. V for Voodoo

V for Voodoo Registered User

Self-Employed
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I have no idea why he would come out and say that he wants Price.

9. V for Voodoo

V for Voodoo Registered User

Self-Employed
    Home Page:
    Werd!

10. Bileur

Bileur Registered User

I dont like it.

Pick Bourret.

11. Wally112pac

Wally112pac Registered User

Home Page:
    Don't believe a word any exec says.

If someone gives out crutial info like this he isn't being truthful.

If an exec is asked if they're tryin to trade for let's say Pronger you'll probably get a no comment or he'll say somethin like we're considering all our options.

A while ago Keenan said he loves Bourdon. Don't believe it.

Muckler says he'll take Price. Don't believe it.

He's playin a game with 29 other gms.

That is like showin your hand in poker. No one does it.

12. Sabres75

Sabres75 Registered User

President of the USA
    Home Page:
    Chicago will take a goalie, imo

1. Pitts - Crosby

No surprise here, but I don't feel Crosby is that great phenom everyone is setting him up to be. If they think Crosby is Lemeuix, then I'm Gilbert Perreault.

2. Anaheim - Jack Jackson

They have some decent offensive players and goaltending. I think they take a top American defenseman.

3. Carolina - Marc Staal

I think Carolina needs a little bit of everything, but I doubt they pass up the chance to take Eric Staal's brother. Good defenseman and my top rated defender in the draft, but he may slip down to 7th or 8th.

4. Minnesota - Bobby Ryan

Big US born kid who can score. Minnesota could reach for a goalie, but I think they need a solid forward to continue to increase the goal scoring on this offensivly challenged team. Goals sell tickets.......their coach needs to go.

5. Montreal - Benoit Pouliot

He may not drop to 5th overall, but I think the other teams needs to go with the choices I outlined. I personally feel he is the best available after Crosby. Montreal won't let this French kid slip out of their plate.

6. Columbus - Gilbert Brule

Needs offense to sell those tickets and Brule is small but can put up the points.

7. Chicago - Carey Price

Chicago has some excellent forwards and defensemen in their system. They could use a top goalie prospect. Again, going on team needs here and not the best players available.

8. Atlanta - Jack Skille

Offense is a good thing for this team after they spent the past 2 drafts taking goalies and defense on the top rounds.

9. Ottawa - Ryan O'Marra

Team Canada player is something the Ottawa team likes to take from the under 18 teams.

10 Vancouver - Kenndal McArdle

If they pass up the top rated British Columbia player in this draft they will probably have a revolt in Vancouver. Good offensive player.

11. L A Kings - Brian Lee

They will take an American defenseman and rely on their top forwards in the AHL to carry the load up front. He may go earlier.

12. San Jose - Luc Bourdon

Under-rated offensive defender out of the Quebec league. San Jose needs help everywhere except for goaltending. They will take the best player available with this pick.

13. Buffalo - Brendan Mikkelson

Good offensive defenseman plays with Funk and Coburn on Portland. Played for Team Canada under 18 and put up the points. Buffalo needs to improve the backend. 6'2" 190 lbs Left defense

13. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    I think he knows that Vancouver will likely want him at 10. So he is posturing, Price might be one of the stupidest picks in sens history if they take him at that point. I will be extremely dissapointed if they dont get either Skille or Bourett.

14. turnbuckle*

turnbuckle* Guest

Jeez - a tad cynical are we? Don't believe a word an NHL exec says? Believe it or not they actually tell journalists the truth sometimes. I remember distinctly going into the 1984 draft that the Habs were going to pick a Czech defector (Svoboda) with the fifth pick and Shayne Corson with the 8th pick. It had been written in several newspapers. That's just one of many examples of a GM/exec admitting that he likes a certain prospect - not a draft goes by without at least a couple of pre-draft leaks to the press becoming fact. Kovalev going to New York (it was common knowledge) etc., etc.

Muckler likes Price; so do a lot of people. I would not be surprised to see him take Price at 9th overall if he is still available, I heard him say it with my own ears, and happen to believe that Mucks is a straight shooter, who, two weeks from now, doesn't want to explain to Gord Wilson and Tom Casey why he picked Rask instead of Price even tho he admitted that Price is his highest ranked goalie

BTW - the player Keenan admitted that he liked was Parent, and that is not a lie. I was told by a scout last spring (and mentioned it here) about a week before the interview in question (where hKeenan admitted his affection for Parent) that Florida was extremely high on him, and would even consider taking him with a top five pick if they got one.

15. Wally112pac

Wally112pac Registered User

Home Page:
    ^^We'll see if Muckler takes Price.

16. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

I don't think Vancouver is targeting Price. We took 2 goalies last year. If he is the BPA in our scouts opinion, then we take him. Personally, I would rather get a forward.

17. turnbuckle*

turnbuckle* Guest

We sure will; looking forward to it. It's a guessing game for everyone, that's what makes it fun. It may be a moot point if Chicago picks Price with the 7th pick, and that's a distinct possibility.

Muckler pointed out that he's not likely going to draft a blueliner, and that makes sense. There are defenceman rated around the 9th position (Staal, Bourdon, Parent) who Muckler would likely pass on to pick Price. Perhaps a forward that the Sens have in their top five will drop to 9th and they'll take one instead of Price if he's still available. We shall indeed see.

18. Jackets16

Jackets16 Registered User

2 things. 1 - CBUS DOES NOT NEED OFFENSE TO SELL TICKETS(and i dont like brule either) 2 - WHERE IS KOPITAR? he wont be there, but if he is, the jackets better grab him.

and some bonus, if staal goes 3, carolina's gm should be fired

19. Air

Air Registered User

Home Page:
    Re: the poker card hand thing

Well, if nobody does it, maybe that's why he's doing it. Maybe he's so clever that he knows nobody will believe him but he secretly does plan to do it.

I wish Muckler would stop talking.

20. Sabres75

Sabres75 Registered User

President of the USA
    Home Page:
    Yeah, you may be right about Columbus not needing goals to sell tickets. Now that they have Todd Marchant. :yo:

21. salty justice

salty justice Registered User

I gotta say there has got to be less than a 5% chance of Chicago picking Price. Tallon said he wants a speedy finisher and Price certainly doesnt fit that bill. We have several good goaltenders in the system and atleast one will be a top 15 starter in a few years.

Our biggest need on the team and in the farm is goal scorers. Id like to see Chicago swap #7 and #9 with Ottawa contingent on Muckler picking Price. Ottawa could throw in a 4th rounder or something.

22. ceber

ceber Registered User

Why do you think MN would take Ryan over Pouliot?

23. Wild Thing

Wild Thing Child... please.

Home Page:
    The only thing we know for sure after hearing what Muckler said is that we don't know who he really wants to draft. Which we pretty much knew already, eh?

24. turnbuckle*

turnbuckle* Guest

I gotta say ther's more than a 95 percent chance you're wrong. At least one will be a top 15 goalie? A bit of an optimist are you? Why not three in the top 15. Let me guess - you also think Babchuck, Barker and Seabrooke will ALL be top 10 defenceman.

None of Chicago's goalie prospects are projected to be all-stars in the NHL IMO. I like Leighton and he may become a decent NHLer, but top 15? That certainly remains to be seen.

Chiocago's biggest problem is that they do not have a top 15 goalie NOW - so picking a potential top 15 goalie is a real possibility.

25. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

I can see Chicago picking Skille. He fits the description to a tee of the kind of player that is needed by that franchise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.