MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It'd be Thomson, Chipman and (mostly) the taxpayers that would make it happen, if it ever does.

But I don't see a new arena on the horizon for Winnipeg in the next 20 years. Maybe they'll start talking about it in 2038, but the current arena meets the market's needs. H Having 5,000 empty seats for most regular season games won't help the Jets one iota.

Well you would certainly be right Gmoney if they couldn't fill the extra seats - then of course it would not be wise to build a new arena. I've heard the Jet's have been sold out, and there's a long waiting list for tickets--I could be wrong though ?? I'm sure some other posters on here, would have a good idea on attendance, waiting lists, demand-- etc.

Seems like a couple of other posters--posted along the same line as you, and think we should stay with what we have. If it happens they stay "sold out' --with a long waiting list, then they have to start looking at a new larger arena in my opinion. If such is not the case - I guess we'll stay with what we have now.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Well you would certainly be right Gmoney if they couldn't fill the extra seats - then of course it would not be wise to build a new arena. I've heard the Jet's have been sold out, and there's a long waiting list for tickets--I could be wrong though ?? I'm sure some other posters on here, would have a good idea on attendance, waiting lists, demand-- etc.

Seems like a couple of other posters--posted along the same line as you, and think we should stay with what we have. If it happens they stay "sold out' --with a long waiting list, then they have to start looking at a new larger arena in my opinion. If such is not the case - I guess we'll stay with what we have now.

I think we are now moving into a stage were buyers are not blindly lining up for season tix and renewals. The new car smell is wearing off, and the market has settled a bit.

By having a smaller arena, there is still a sense of urgency for potential buyers, to take advantage of tickets when they become available. Adding an additional 5000 seats would dissolve that urgency, why should I buy now, if seats will be available tomorrow.

Reactions: GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

With the upgrades they've made to Bell MTS Place, it's a fine facility with all the necessary modern arena amenities (good concession variety, a few restaurants and bars, a decent number of suites, premium loge seating, HD scoreboard, etc.). Plus it's paid for, so it's a cash cow TNSE will be content to milk for quite some time. They won't go through the pains of trying to coerce governments into ponying up hundreds of millions of dollars for a new arena until it's a necessity.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Problem with Budweiser is they have the money to back large accounts. It’s Bud at the Blue Bombers Stadium too. Wasn’t Labatt’s Blue named after the Blue Bombers? LOL

Other issue is that most nationally mass marketed Canadian beers aren’t Canadian owned. Labbatt’s is Belgian owned, Molson is mostly USA owned, Sleemans is Japanese owned. Moosehead is the only true Canadian one. So you know that if any of them put the big bucks towards a large account, it won’t be pushing their Canadian brands hard.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Problem with Budweiser is they have the money to back large accounts. It’s Bud at the Blue Bombers Stadium too. Wasn’t Labatt’s Blue named after the Blue Bombers? LOL

Other issue is that most nationally mass marketed Canadian beers aren’t Canadian owned. Labbatt’s is Belgian owned, Molson is mostly USA owned, Sleemans is Japanese owned. Moosehead is the only true Canadian one. So you know that if any of them put the big bucks towards a large account, it won’t be pushing their Canadian brands hard.

If I'm someplace with a limited beer selection, Moosehead is my choice. It would be nice to see the local breweries represented, and maybe we should be contacting our ticket reps with that suggestion. Will it do any good? Probably not, but at least we can feel like we've voiced our opinion. We'll be BJW's. Beer Justice Warriors. :)

Reactions: drumzan

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Re new Arena

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

not for 20 years at least.

Spending half a billion dollars to gain what? 5000 50 dollar tickets.......?

5000* 50= 250,000 x 82= 20,500000/ season

New Arena amortized is what? 600000000...700?

say 650 for fun

650000000/20500000 = 29.27

so 30 years of debt to put 5000 low rent seats in play....seats that most likely would be half empty half the time......
seats that are overall, not important to the financial stability of the franchise.

I'm pretty sure I remember Chipman saying something very close to this in 2011

Last edited:
Reactions: 1stDan

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea a new arena will not be happening for at least 20 years and even then I would doubt it unless government builds it for them. Maybe I am odd but I love the MTS centre.

Reactions: purdy44

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Building a new arena just to add more seats doesn't fit the Jet's business model. One day, 30 years from now, building a new building because the old one is falling down, OK.

And the elephant in the room... who's going to pay for it?

Reactions: purdy44

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Building a new arena just to add more seats doesn't fit the Jet's business model. One day, 30 years from now, building a new building because the old one is falling down, OK.

And the elephant in the room... who's going to pay for it?
1.jpg

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Anyone who thinks that Winnipeg will be getting a new arena in the next 20 years is delusional... sorry but this is WINNIPEG... any money put into a arena will be met with extreme hostility by a significant portion of the community.
The old Winnipeg Arena was a dump Jerry Rigged together from the original 1955 Arena with just the lower bowl to a band-Aid quick fix in 1979 to get it to minimal NHL standards. And to get THAT arena replaced was like pulling teeth out of a Yeti...and primary reason for the Jets 1.O leaving
MTS is only 14 years old..so at bear minimum you would expect to get 40 years out of a Arena we are looking at 26 years from now...
Even it’s built 100% on private funds/land there would be tax grants, loans expected from all levels which would be met with extreme hesitation

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Don't think any of us older folks will ever step foot in a new arena by the time it is built, which wont be anytime soon, bigger isn't always bigger and the one we have atm is perfect for a city this size and serves the purpose of the current owners, and what they are doing around that building.

Reactions: 1stDan

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
It's all business. I heard that Bud and Bud Light dominate our local market (myself, I almost always buy local craft beer because it actually has a taste... on occasion I'll buy Stella or Corona).

How anybody can drink Bud Light and say that they're drinking beer is beyond me. It tastes like cold dish water.

It's ironic how those Budweiser drinkers are often the people who try to degrade craft beer drinkers for drinking "fruity" or "tasty" beer. I have even heard someone say "real men don't drink craft beer" and later "Budweiser is a man's beer." Even Vulcans know a weak, watered down for the masses beer when they have one.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
It's ironic how those Budweiser drinkers are often the people who try to degrade craft beer drinkers for drinking "fruity" or "tasty" beer. I have even heard someone say "real men don't drink craft beer" and later "Budweiser is a man's beer." Even Vulcans know a weak, watered down for the masses beer when they have one.
In my opinion Molson is possibly the worst beer on the planet.

Reactions: Mathil8

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If TNSE wanted to get creative, they could find ways to add an additional 500-1000 seats at MTSC within its current footprint.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If TNSE wanted to get creative, they could find ways to add an additional 500-1000 seats at MTSC within its current footprint.
A gondola like the press box hanging on the opposite side might be a reasonable option. There are arenas with suites and high end lounges using that type of thing. Vancouver's Club 500: Canucks Tickets - Club 500

But if they get into anything where they have to raise the roof or make big structural changes, it probably won't be worth it (or take a very long time to break even).

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
A gondola like the press box hanging on the opposite side might be a reasonable option. There are arenas with suites and high end lounges using that type of thing. Vancouver's Club 500: Canucks Tickets - Club 500

But if they get into anything where they have to raise the roof or make big structural changes, it probably won't be worth it (or take a very long time to break even).

That just looks like something for the ultra-rich who aren't there to actually watch the game. You would need binoculars to make out the players from up there.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
That just looks like something for the ultra-rich who aren't there to actually watch the game. You would need binoculars to make out the players from up there.
It's all relative.
That's how lots of fans feel about those who sit in loge seats. ;)

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
It's all relative.
That's how lots of fans feel about those who sit in loge seats. ;)

On the contrary. I think people that most people that sit in the Loge do so in order to be able to get the best vantage point of the whole ice surface. I know I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad