MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
The assessed value of the City Place property is $85M. Then you have to demolish everything on it...so another $2.5M at least. Then you have to build a new arena. Low end is, what, half-a-billion right now? So we're looking at $600,000,000 probably at the minimum. Plus you close down Hargrave between Graham and St. Mary and I still don't think that site is bigger than the current site (City Place + Hargrave plus all but one lane of Donald = 108m x 150m; current arena: 93.5m x 150m (avg - it's not exactly a rectangle)).
Just because someone says TNSE's plan is to take over City Place I just don't believe it but maybe that's just me.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Maybe it's not TNSE's plan - maybe it's Osmington Inc's plan (Thomson's real estate holding company)...
Maybe, I don't know. This discussion all seemed to start after Deedog said

Hargrove will be closed down and true north will take over city place and build right next door while current arena is in use.

I'll stick by my original comment, if that's the plan it's an aggressive one.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
I work at BMTSP and have very good connections with a higher up employee that works for True North, and I've been told that they are doing some renovations to the south side entrance of the suite level.

They are looking to make it more how the North side entrance is - the more open concept, with the sofas and the extra seating area. I've been told that they will be looking to remove one of those walls starting as early as this week.

It won't be anything as big as the concourse upgrades that have happened in recent years, but it'll be a noticeable change for anyone coming in through those doors and uses the suites often.

I can see that, widening and opening the connecting skywalk from CityPlace to BMTSPlace...

Making it the width of the building to reduce the bottle-necking moving the box office/coat check further into CityPlace away from the security/BMTSPlace gate entrances. A lot of people use this entrance since it connects to the skywalk network to multiple other downtown parking locations including the future new TN Square connection...

It only makes sense that they beautify and smooth out the flow of people to and from that area in time for it's completion.

Reactions: Spock

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Just because I can't resist tweaking a poster with the username Spock:

More seats do not reduce demand. Instead it increases supply while demand remains constant, which means you move down the demand curve to lower prices.

incrsupplyeq.jpg
Your chart does not include key variables such as human reaction to the increase in available tickets on the secondary market, and the potential loss of season ticket holders based on their reaction to the increase in overall quantity.
Demand has many variables, and cannot be defined by this chart alone.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Just because I can't resist tweaking a poster with the username Spock:

More seats do not reduce demand. Instead it increases supply while demand remains constant, which means you move down the demand curve to lower prices.

incrsupplyeq.jpg

The graph doesn't work for stadium seating. Each person is buying a unique product. The demand curve for a p1 seat differs from a p6 seat. Supplying a new p7 tier seat may do nothing to the "natural" price of a p1 seat since they are different products.

Reactions: Spock

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The graph doesn't work for stadium seating. Each person is buying a unique product. The demand curve for a p1 seat differs from a p6 seat. Supplying a new p7 tier seat may do nothing to the "natural" price of a p1 seat since they are different products.

I would disagree. Sports tickets are much more fungible than they are unique. Each gets you a ticket inside the building to see the game.

I mean supply and demand curves are like intro Economics 101. There is no such thing as a "natural" price of a seat. The price is going to depend on, well, supply and demand. If you create a new P8 tier yes, probably someone sitting in a P1 isn't going to switch to P8. But someone in P7 or P6, who just wants to go to the game for the cheapest possible price, probably does switch. That means you move down demand curve. If P6 and P7 seats are cheaper, now your P4 and P5 customers may want to switch. And so on and so forth.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Anyone know when the concessions come up for renewal? With the exception of one or two items the food is absolutely atrocious.

In another not for all you Loge owners out there... don’t you find it reducilous that they don’t have import beer on the menu? Would also be nice to have a couple of healthier options to choose from! Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Anyone know when the concessions come up for renewal? With the exception of one or two items the food is absolutely atrocious.

In another not for all you Loge owners out there... don’t you find it reducilous that they don’t have import beer on the menu? Would also be nice to have a couple of healthier options to choose from! Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

My guess is they have 7 or 8 years left on their concession deal. They got a 10 year extension a few years ago.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would love to see local craft beer on the menu but it seems Budweiser just wants their products..... just mediocre beer, even Goose Island.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I would love to see local craft beer on the menu but it seems Budweiser just wants their products..... just mediocre beer, even Goose Island.

I like Stella but if I want it I have to go and get it even this it would be just as easy if they had it on the menu. Just doesn’t make sense.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Sorry if I missed. What renovations are they doing this year?

The concourse has been closed for over a month.

I thought I heard the dressing room and player's areas were being upgraded.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I don’t think we will see anything substantial for this coming season. Just hoping they improve overall service for the Loges.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It's all business. I heard that Bud and Bud Light dominate our local market (myself, I almost always buy local craft beer because it actually has a taste... on occasion I'll buy Stella or Corona).

How anybody can drink Bud Light and say that they're drinking beer is beyond me. It tastes like cold dish water.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
It's all business. I heard that Bud and Bud Light dominate our local market (myself, I almost always buy local craft beer because it actually has a taste... on occasion I'll buy Stella or Corona).

How anybody can drink Bud Light and say that they're drinking beer is beyond me. It tastes like cold dish water.

Most importantly, why are you drinking cold dish water on the first place?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
It’s been mentioned before but it would be awsome to have a local beer Kiosk on each level. Due to licensing issues I highly doubt it would happen.
Manitoba’s local breweries are actually really good...
As a side note: what the heck happened to Canada’s beer culture..why is Bud, Bud light, Coors light, and Michelob dominating the Canadian Beer market?
Bob and Doug would be ashamed.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It’s been mentioned before but it would be awsome to have a local beer Kiosk on each level. Due to licensing issues I highly doubt it would happen.
Manitoba’s local breweries are actually really good...
As a side note: what the heck happened to Canada’s beer culture..why is Bud, Bud light, Coors light, and Michelob dominating the Canadian Beer market?
Bob and Doug would be ashamed.

Pretty sure Bob and Doug Mckenzie were drinking mass-market Molson Canadian. They were anything but beer snobs. But then again the 1970s were a different time...

The reason of course that BMTSP doesn't have good microbrews is that multi-national Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV pays good money to be the exclusive beer supplier.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Maybe it's not TNSE's plan- maybe it's Osmington Inc's plan.( Thomson's real estate holding company).

The Jet's need a bigger arena - when MTS Center was first proposed, I believe Glen Murray was the mayor, and he wanted to reinvigorate the downtown area. It was thought at the time that Winnipeg would never get an NHL team back in this city, as it was to small a market. The dollar was trading at 60 cents vs the US dollar, and many people did not think Winnipeg could afford an NHL franchise. All salaries for players are negotiated and paid out in US dollars.

I thought differently, and thought when the dollar bounces back up,(and it did) and when the province and City started to grow, that Winnipeg would be able to do this. Many other people thought the same-- and it came to be that the Chipman group made it happen.

So now the Jets are stuck with an arena that holds about 15,000 people, and they really need an arena that will hold 20,000 --in order to compete with other cities. Those "extra" 5,000 seats would bring in a lot more money, that will be needed to pay players as the Cap rises. I think this will have to be done, and also think the Jet's could pretty much fill a 18,000 to 20,000 seat arena.

I'd like to see a 20,000 seat arena built for the Jets-"would cost a lot of money"- but it would be good for many years, and accommodate growth as well. I believe the Jet's have sold out this 15,000 seat arena for the last 6-7 years--so I don't see a problem in filling a 20,000 seat arena.

I believe that Thomson and the Chipman's could make this happen !!!

Last edited:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think the current arena has the appropriate seating capacity. People are already saying they are dropping their season tickets as they can buy just the games they want at a similar cost. And this is during a time when the Jet's are near the top of the league standings. I'd say that if they did have more capacity, they'd have to put them in at a new lower price level (less that current P7). While I would love wider corridors, that doesn't justify a new building.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

The Jet's need a bigger arena - when MTS Center was first proposed, I believe Glen Murray was the mayor, and he wanted to reinvigorate the downtown area. It was thought at the time that Winnipeg would never get an NHL team back in this city, as it was to small a market. The dollar was trading at 60 cents vs the US dollar, and many people did not think Winnipeg could afford an NHL franchise. All salaries for players are negotiated and paid out in US dollars.

I thought differently, and thought when the dollar bounces back up,(and it did) and when the province and City started to grow, that Winnipeg would be able to do this. Many other people thought the same-- and it came to be that the Chipman group made it happen.

So now the Jets are stuck with an arena that holds about 15,000 people, and they really need an arena that will hold 20,000 --in order to compete with other cities. Those "extra" 5,000 seats would bring in a lot more money, that will be needed to pay players as the Cap rises. I think this will have to be done, and also think the Jet's could pretty much fill a 18,000 to 20,000 seat arena.

I'd like to see a 20,000 seat arena built for the Jets-"would cost a lot of money"- but it would be good for many years, and accommodate growth as well. I believe the Jet's have sold out this 15,000 seat arena for the last 6-7 years--so I don't see a problem in filling a 20,000 seat arena.

I believe that Thomson and the Chipman's could make this happen !!!
It'd be Thomson, Chipman and (mostly) the taxpayers that would make it happen, if it ever does.

But I don't see a new arena on the horizon for Winnipeg in the next 20 years. Maybe they'll start talking about it in 2038, but the current arena meets the market's needs. Having 5000 empty seats for most regular season games won't help the Jets one iota.

Reactions: Spock and GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad