Proposal: MTL vs EDM

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Exactly both are a work progress. Still a long way to be called a #1C on many teams.
many teams? really? they have a long way to go, but I think several teams wouldn't mind trotting out Suzuki, Danault, Kotkaniemi and Evans - all 27 or younger

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
That's some crystal ball you got there.

Kotkaniemi was better in this first year and has regressed in his 2nd year. Players development aren't linear. He has to show more to be anything but a low end #3.
I'm not posting it for the 10th time, but it would be worthwhile for you to understand what happened to kotkaniemi in year 2 before posting 100% nonsense

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Here are the pieces available for a trade that might help you guys out (not putting scraps, because I know you don't want them):

Defense
Chiarot
Edmundson
Weber

Offense
Armia
Danault
Kotkaniemi
Lehkonen

Goaltending
Price
Allen

Let's discuss to see what you would like, and what you would be willing to trade in return.

I know other Hab fans would flip their shit seeing Weber's name out there, but I'm open to trading him for a good return.

What about a Danault for RNH swap? Who adds? Both are UFA this offseason. Oilers could use Danault as a good 2 way C 2nd line C, allowing them to play Draisaitl and Mcdavid together again. The Habs could give RNH a test drive on the wing, where he’s played most of his time the last 2 years.

Neither player needs a quarantine.

Edit: I’ll also be shocked if Dubois isn’t a Canadien by the offseason so I figure Danault isn’t in the long term plans

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
What about a Danault for RNH swap? Who adds? Both are UFA this offseason. Oilers could use Danault as a good 2 way C 2nd line C, allowing them to play Draisaitl and Mcdavid together again. The Habs could give RNH a test drive on the wing, where he’s played most of his time the last 2 years.

Edit: I’ll also be shocked if Dubois isn’t a Canadien by the offseason so I figure Danault isn’t in the long term plans
I like RNH a lot more than most. I would be down for that trade! Would be a win win, since you get a top defensive Center, and we get a great winger!

Also, I doubt we go for PLD. Especially after how he’s behaved himself lately, this is not something Bergevin would be cool with.

Reactions: Smartguy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

And why would the Oilers trade RNH for Danault?

They can just have Nuge center the 2nd line with Yama if uniting Drai with McD was needed.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
And why would the Oilers trade RNH for Danault?

They can just have Nuge center the 2nd line with Yama if uniting Drai with McD was needed.

Danault is a much better 2 way Center, had a few Selke votes last year, would be surprised if he doesn’t win one at some point but maybe I’m higher on him than most.

He also outscored RNH at even strength last season. Not to mention he likely comes cheaper than RNH this offseason as well when both are UFA.

This would also allow the Oilers to give Yama PP time in RNH’s spot, something that looks like it will be deserved for him in the near future. With RNH/Drai/Mcdavid it’s unlikely Yamamoto ever sees much PP time. Despite being, arguably, one of the best Oiler players the last 30 odd games he’s been up

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Danault is a much better 2 way Center, had a few Selke votes last year, would be surprised if he doesn’t win one at some point but maybe I’m higher on him than most.

He also outscored RNH at even strength last season. Not to mention he likely comes cheaper than RNH this offseason as well when both are UFA.

This would also allow the Oilers to give Yama PP time in RNH’s spot, something that looks like it will be deserved for him in the near future. With RNH/Drai/Mcdavid it’s unlikely Yamamoto ever sees much PP time. Despite being, arguably, one of the best Oiler players the last 30 odd games he’s been up
RNH is our best PKer and there is no issues with him on the top PP unit. Swapping him with Yama would be a downgrade.
There is a reason why RNH will be commanding more money in the free agency than Danault.
Oilers would not want a pending UFA anyway if they are sellers at deadline. Really makes no sense

Danault being a "much better 2way player" is your opinion

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Zero interest in RNH. Danault's line outperforms the elite top lines in the league and crushes the 2nd lines. He is everything you want in a 2C and only has a 3M caphit.

Why would the Habs trade him for RNH? Why try to fix what is not broken? Habs do not have a need at C. RNH hardly plays C as it is.

Last edited:

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Imo the top three teams, TO, Cal, Oil, will be well ahead of fourth before the TDL. So no way RNH gets moved, when the Oil are in the playoffs. He’s gone as a UFA.
I highly doubt Edmonton will be ahead of Montreal by more then a few points, if at all. Montreal has looked very good. Right now Edmonton isn’t a top 3 team, not even close.

Reactions: TFHockey

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Zero interest in RNH. Danault's line outperforms the elite top lines in the league and crushes the 2nd lines. He is everything you want in a 2C and only has a 3M caphit.

Why would the Habs trade him for RNH? Why try to fix what is not broken? Habs do not have a need at C. RNH hardly plays C as it is.
This. We we need Danault more than RNH. Just don't see the point.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Really early for this but lets say if Edmonton aren't going to make the playoffs this year what would be the asking price for RNH considering he's a ufa.

Would want him as I think he'd be a better option for the habs instead of Drouin.

Could something revolving around Drouin work? Drouin has 2 more years left at 5.5mill.
Montreal don't need to make this trade.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Drouin is a 50+ point winger the aren't trading him for the reason you suggust.
He's 26 and has had 50 points twice in his career. I'll give you that though and call him a 50 point winger. How's the rest of his game? Would you say he's your best forward? He's tied with Anderson for the highest paid. Would you rather have Toffoli or Drouin? Toffoli got 4.2M from you guys, no one else was willing to go that high and Drouin is 1.3M more than Toffoli.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
He's 26 and has had 50 points twice in his career. I'll give you that though and call him a 50 point winger. How's the rest of his game? Would you say he's your best forward? He's tied with Anderson for the highest paid. Would you rather have Toffoli or Drouin? Toffoli got 4.2M from you guys, no one else was willing to go that high and Drouin is 1.3M more than Toffoli.
He's now on a line with Suzuki and Anderson the odds Montreal trade Drouin this season at least are low.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Habs got Toffoli on a sweetheart deal because of covid. What point are you making? Very unlikely the Habs trade Drouin as he has found chemistry with Suzuki and they are a pretty good line.

Its not like he's a boat anchor like Lucic / Neal.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yup. We've only had anything over our B game once and we smacked the Canucks around. Good signs in the Leafs game, hopefully we can build on that tonight.

I see major holes in the Oilers D and a shift in coaching that is focussing on team defence at the expense of offense. It will be interesting to see if this pays off.

The Oilers downfall will always be defense, depth and goaltending. That's hard to overcome, even with McDrai playing half the game. I don't think the Oilers have an "A" game.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yup. We've only had anything over our B game once and we smacked the Canucks around. Good signs in the Leafs game, hopefully we can build on that tonight.

A second win against the Leafs in a tight checking game would be welcome. Oilers need an identity and to be harder to play against. maybe they are going to galvanize into such a team, I dunno.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
A second win against the Leafs in a tight checking game would be welcome. Oilers need an identity and to be harder to play against. maybe they are going to galvanize into such a team, I dunno.

Generally you build a team to be a tight-checking defensive team - ie. you acquire / develop players that fit this system. Its challenging to take a team that is built on high-octane offense and try to teach them to play team defense. It will be an interesting experiment.

As a fan of the game, i don't like how the Oilers / Leafs game went down. I fell asleep in the 2nd period. That type of hockey is not fun to watch.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I see major holes in the Oilers D and a shift in coaching that is focussing on team defence at the expense of offense. It will be interesting to see if this pays off.

The Oilers downfall will always be defense, depth and goaltending. That's hard to overcome, even with McDrai playing half the game. I don't think the Oilers have an "A" game.

Koskinen's been fine so far this year, better than half of the starters in the North. The D is a bit of a work in progress, but it's coming along too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad