Pre-Game Talk: Mtl. versus EdMcDavidton 14:00h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
two of my favorite teams, pretty depressing to watch the oilers this year aside of mcdavid and a couple others.

should be a good game anyway Go Habs Go!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The second goal where he could have covered Hischier but decided to skate the opposite way.

You're right he was on the ice.

If you watch that play develop. On the original rebound Weber waves at the puck and misses and skates right by the puck instead of stopping. This gives the Devils player time behind the net to send the puck out to the two Devils in the slot (at 7:10 of the video below). Notice there are two Devils there and two Habs (Danault and Rielly).

Drouin sees this and could have and should have stayed in the slot instead of covering the point. But Drouin's role as a winger is to cover the point. If he goes to the slot and the puck pops out to the point and they score, do we blame Drouin for puck watching and not covering his man?

If you look at the play: the puck is in the slot - there are two Devils and two Habs. Danault loses his puck battle and Reilly skates right out of the slot to waive at the puck leaving two Devils open to have the puck after Danault's lost battle.

While Drouin should have left his point man to help in the slot, I blame Reilly, Danault and Weber for not doing their job more than I blame Drouin for leaving his man to cover for their mistakes.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
two of my favorite teams, pretty depressing to watch the oilers this year aside of mcdavid and a couple others.

should be a good game anyway Go Habs Go!

The Oilers have had our number the last couple of years. I wouldn't pitty them too much: they may wipe the ice with us this afternoon.

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
The Oilers have had our number the last couple of years. I wouldn't pitty them too much: they may wipe the ice with us this afternoon.
i called the beating they gave us in their barn earlier this season they were motivated after the coach calling them out, i really hope its a different outcome today but we tend 2 struggle against big rough teams

Reactions: 26Mats

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You're right he was on the ice.

If you watch that play develop. On the original rebound Weber waves at the puck and misses and skates right by the puck instead of stopping. This gives the Devils player time behind the net to send the puck out to the two Devils in the slot (at 7:10 of the video below). Notice there are two Devils there and two Habs (Danault and Rielly).

Drouin sees this and could have and should have stayed in the slot instead of covering the point. But Drouin's role as a winger is to cover the point. If he goes to the slot and the puck pops out to the point and they score, do we blame Drouin for puck watching and not covering his man?

If you look at the play: the puck is in the slot - there are two Devils and two Habs. Danault loses his puck battle and Reilly skates right out of the slot to waive at the puck leaving two Devils open to have the puck after Danault's lost battle.

While Drouin should have left his point man to help in the slot, I blame Reilly, Danault and Weber for not doing their job more than I blame Drouin for leaving his man to cover for their mistakes.

If players all do their jobs perfectly there would be zero goals scored. There's always a mistake/bad guess somewhere in the chain of events leading up to every goal. Waving at the puck and missing is dumb luck, not really a fault. Deciding to drop your man and cover another is a split second gamble that ends up being right or wrong depending if NJ passes or shoots. There were no blatant mistakes last night.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, I don’t think Edmonton is that great a team. I think as a “group”, we’re deeper than they are. We also have Price.

However, they have the best player in the world and Draisatl himself is no slouch.

End of the day, regardless of how the rest of their team plays, if we can’t stop McDavid, it’s going to be tough.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Was Drouin on for any of the Devil goals yesterday? No. Those goals were on the penalties Benn and Weber took back to back, the careless play by Reilly and Danault in front of the net, and the last one was all Niemi.

If anything, we need to stop trying to rely on scoring only 2 goals in a game and still get the win.

To me the solution to try to get the offense going (and hopefully without sacrificing defense): put Drouin and Gallagher with Kotkaniemi, find another good combination with Domi (I've seen good things from Tatar-Domi-Byron, Tatar-Domi-Armia, and even Hudon-Domi-Armia.) Keep whatever works best. A Lehkonen-Danault let 3rd line will be an excellent shut down line and create offense off their relentless forecheck.
Could be a good possibility. Still doesn't help when JD only shows up 1 game in 4

He needs to be challenged, instead of coddled. He can drive the bus every game, but he seems like a passenger most nights.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If players all do their jobs perfectly there would be zero goals scored. There's always a mistake/bad guess somewhere in the chain of events leading up to every goal. Waving at the puck and missing is dumb luck, not really a fault. Deciding to drop your man and cover another is a split second gamble that ends up being right or wrong depending if NJ passes or shoots. There were no blatant mistakes last night.

But people are putting the loss on Drouin.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Because why not:

Dyf_qtAXcAAGNWa.jpg:large

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Could be a good possibility. Still doesn't help when JD only shows up 1 game in 4

He needs to be challenged, instead of coddled. He can drive the bus every game, but he seems like a passenger most nights.

I'd like to see him get the challenge of being on a potential top tier offensive line and creating chances for two good finishers (Kotkaniemi and Gallagher), all while being good defensively. I'd rather see him get this challenge than being asked to go up against, and shut down, the top offensive players in the league every night.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
But people are putting the loss on Drouin.
Drouin didn't lose the game for us. He went to the net, then circled back expecting a shot from the point. If Hischier doesn't have a shot and passes back, Drouin looks good. Didn't work out that way. Certainly not the smartest move, but just one piece in the series of misses and gambles that led to the goal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin didn't lose the game for us. He went to the net, then circled back expecting a shot from the point. If Hischier doesn't have a shot and passes back, Drouin looks good. Didn't work out that way. Certainly not the smartest move, but just one piece in the series of misses and gambles that led to the goal.

I like Francois Gagnon, but his headline for his article covering the loss is "When Drouin turns the wrong way..." And many on here are advocating for him to be a healthy scratch tonight.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I like Francois Gagnon, but his headline for his article covering the loss is "When Drouin turns the wrong way..." And many on here are advocating for him to be a healthy scratch tonight.
You can't get away with half-assed efforts here. They're all starting to turn on him.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Screw the Super Bowl, I'm watching the Great Canadien Game!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Go Habs Go. Hey Ryan on goldstream oilers are getting kicked today. Hope Don Cherry is here today, help kick this off!!!........:vhappy:I remember working in Leduc back in the early 80's.
:vhappy::vhappy:Expect Gallagher to have fun today, Alberta still needs more trees as windbreaks. Edmonton the only place i went to school when the temperature wss -28. Walking only half mile, great outdoor rinks everyone had in the backyard.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You can't get away with half-assed efforts here. They're all starting to turn on him.
the goal was Reilly, Danault, and Weber's fault more than Drouin's. watch the replays to see all of their errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad