Proposal: Mtl-van

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Edler is signed only for 2 more years and trending down, don't expect a crazy package for him.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Josh Brook+2nd +conditional pick

based on how many games Elder plays in the the playoffs this year, or maybe percentage of the habs playoff games he plays in.

Say conditional is habs make 3rd round edler plays in minimum 50% of playoff games and it's a 2nd rounder. Otherwise it's a 5th rounder.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Fine, so I undervalued him. If we offered a 1st round pick instead of a 2nd, would that spark your interest? Or as was discussed earlier, Juulsen straight up for him (maybe with a little add if necessary)?

Of course, with the current information he's not willing to waive but he could change his mind right?

Obviously still some major logistical stumbling blocks like Edler's NTC and desire to stay in Vancouver, and the fact Canucks management want to keep some experienced Top-4D around to shelter and mentor the young players.

But if you can get past that stuff, Brook and a (late, projected playoff) 1st is probably talking the right sort of package value-wise.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
We need to add to Edler, a minute munching dman that can play on the top pairing and not look too out of place for an unproven prospect that would be lucky to even turn into a player half as good as Edler?

Damn.

This argument would make sense if Edler was still in his prime.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This argument would make sense if Edler was still in his prime.

Edler was easily a top 2 d-man in his prime. Now he's a top 4 guy that can play on the top pairing, but ideally be your #3/4 on a contending team. He can handle the minutes of a #1 or #2 easily.

We would not have to add to a proven commodity to get a prospect like Juulsen. The consensus has pretty much been that he's worth a late first + a prospect, which is very similar value to Juulsen.

You know what you're getting with Edler. Juulsen, not so much. It would be the Habs adding if anybody.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I don't think Edler has much value. As the OP says he's trending down. Most importantly so is his health. You really want to wait until the deadline and hope he's not injured? I wouldn't.

You also have to look at the risk in that contract. He's not near a 5 million dollar dman this year never mind next.

Trade him and embrace the suck Canuck fans. Linden/Benning don't seem to understand this but I hope Canuck fans do.

Edler is fantastic value at $5m/season.

He might not be a 40+ point guy anymore, but he's a far better overall defenseman in all three zones and still paces 25 points.

Health issues are a concern, but a top pairing D (albeit a lower end one) for 5 million is a bargain.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The only way I trade Edler is if we somehow find someone to replace the mins he plays. If we signed Brian Campbell, I'd trade Edler for a 1st + prospect.

OP's proposal is not enough.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Edler is fantastic value at $5m/season.

He might not be a 40+ point guy anymore, but he's a far better overall defenseman in all three zones and still paces 25 points.

Health issues are a concern, but a top pairing D (albeit a lower end one) for 5 million is a bargain.
He's worth nothing for 14 games last year, 30 for the year before. I would have my doubts he's going to improve health wise going forward. The injuries are just eroding his physical tools.

Fantastic value is not what comes to mind. But have no fear Benning is a moron and will keep him until he retires at the end of his contract.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
He's worth nothing for 14 games last year, 30 for the year before. I would have my doubts he's going to improve health wise going forward. The injuries are just eroding his physical tools.

Fantastic value is not what comes to mind. But have no fear Benning is a moron and will keep him until he retires at the end of his contract.

Hmm, pretty sure I mentioned that his health is a concern in my post...weird, was it deleted? Wish the NHL offered some kind of cap relief for players on injured reserve...

His health concerns don't affect his value relative to his salary—teams get cap relief for injured players.

Does it affect his trade value a bit? Sure.

But I didn't mention that at all, so...

$5m/season for a 2/3 D is a bargain.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Hmm, pretty sure I mentioned that his health is a concern in my post...weird, was it deleted? Wish the NHL offered some kind of cap relief for players on injured reserve...

His health concerns don't affect his value relative to his salary—teams get cap relief for injured players.

Does it affect his trade value a bit? Sure.

But I didn't mention that at all, so...

$5m/season for a 2/3 D is a bargain.
If he played the whole season the 5 million would be worth it. But he doesn't, you don't get to have it both ways. Therefore his value for that 5 million is not good. Its not that hard.

It affects his value in a HUGE way. He will never get 2/3 Dman value with his injury history. Plus the 2nd year on the contract is a detriment.

A 2nd and maybe a C grade prospect plus the cap space would be well worth it to the Canucks. Teams have got great young players with cap space.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
If he played the whole season the 5 million would be worth it. But he doesn't, you don't get to have it both ways. Therefore his value for that 5 million is not good. Its not that hard.

It affects his value in a HUGE way. He will never get 2/3 Dman value with his injury history. Plus the 2nd year on the contract is a detriment.

A 2nd and maybe a C grade prospect plus the cap space would be well worth it to the Canucks. Teams have got great young players with cap space.

A 2/3 D at $5m/season is a bargain.

There is no "both ways."

Relative to salary, it's cut and dried.

If he's injured, his team gets cap relief. If he's playing, he's a 2/3 D at $5m/season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Edler was easily a top 2 d-man in his prime. Now he's a top 4 guy that can play on the top pairing, but ideally be your #3/4 on a contending team. He can handle the minutes of a #1 or #2 easily.

We would not have to add to a proven commodity to get a prospect like Juulsen. The consensus has pretty much been that he's worth a late first + a prospect, which is very similar value to Juulsen.

You know what you're getting with Edler. Juulsen, not so much. It would be the Habs adding if anybody.

It's true I undervalued him a little in the OP and my first take on the Juulsen offer, what I meant is it's not really fair to compare Juulsen to Edler in his prime. Edler has had a great career and we would absolutely want him to Montreal, hence the proposal, but the general consensus also is that he's not likely to have a lot of years in him and we're only going to have him for two years anyway.

Anyway, I think we settled on a Brook+1st if Edler himself agrees and Juolevi shows promise in the camp.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Vancouver has changed coaches this Summer. Edler's role may be redefined. He has been a horse nearing thirty minutes a game.

Canucks defensemen often have to hold the puck, waiting for team mates to glide off the ice. This means taking a lot of hits. Edler and Tanev are not fragile.

Edler isn't going anywhere. He has a NTC. He might waive it in his last contract year but I doubt he does before then. That said, the offers in this thread seem attractive. Prospects and picks are ideal return for older players. If Benning received offers like these, he'd have acted. I don't think he got any offers at all despite reports. Canucks were atrocious last season and they do not have a good culture. Why bring that in?

Lastly, Canucks are again peddling delusional fantasies like, "We can fight for the playoffs this season." They have to maintain a façade for a credulous public. They can't just deal off useful pieces and still claim playoff contention. Their goaltending moves already undermine lofty claims. No way can they deal a top defenseman, too.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I like picks so I'd do your 1st and Chicago's 2nd for Edler.

If Montreal doesn't want to give up that first then I'd want back Juulsen or De La Rose + Montreal's 2nd.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008

Not even close to worthwhile for the Canucks. They might as well just keep Edler if that is all they can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad