Proposal: Mtl-van

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
to MTL: Alex Edler

to VAN: Josh Brook, 2nd round pick in 2018

A team wishing to contend trades futures to a rebuilding team for an aging top 4 LHD.

Markov's walk opened up a big hole in our left side D and we haven't been able to cover it with practically anything so far. Edler is trending down but he can still play big minutes, he could be paired with Weber in the first pairing and is signed for two more years on an affordable cap hit which fits our timeline for contending.

Vancouver gets a prospect for their position of need, RHD. Brook was drafted in the 2nd round this summer, a solid all-around dman who can skate well. The 2018 draft is considered to be a deep one so a 2nd round pick has a lot of value as well, I feel the Canucks could use these pieces for their future. Plus, dealing Edler might open up a spot for Juolevi.

What do you guys think?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Seems low for Edler. I think if Van waits until the deadline, they could do much better.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think Edler is a good target but this won't move the needle much for Vancouver.

Maybe Juulson for Edler straight up?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Why bother? Might as well keep Edler if this is the return. People seem to have it in their heads that Edler is no good or something, when in reality he's still a very good top 4 defenseman. Unless a 1st or equivalent prospect is coming back there isn't even a starting point to build from.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think Edler is a good target but this won't move the needle much for Vancouver.

Maybe Juulson for Edler straight up?

That crossed my mind too, Juulsen could be expendable since we have Petry and Weber locked for years in RD. However, he's a very good prospect and Edler won't likely have many years left as a top 4 dman so I'd say Vancouver needs to add a little if we traded Juulsen for Edler.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Edler has a ntc

which is the same as a NMC

NMC means Canucks cant waive him or send him to the minors.

NTC means no-trade

if he had a modified NTC, he would have to submit a list of teams he would like to go to or like Tanev, submit a list of 8 teams he wont go to

Edler has a NTC which means he aint goin anywhere unless he agrees to it

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Even if we throw out the argument that he is a top two defender on our team, and forget we lost two regulars out of our line up this summer, and don't think about his NTC (and his adamant resolve to stay here), that is not enough for a player who can, at the absolute worst, be called a top four D.

Merci pour votre considerations, mais notre reponse est non.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Even if we throw out the argument that he is a top two defender on our team, and forget we lost two regulars out of our line up this summer, and don't think about his NTC (and his adamant resolve to stay here), that is not enough for a player who can, at the absolute worst, be called a top four D.

Merci pour votre considerations, mais notre reponse est non.

Fine, so I undervalued him. If we offered a 1st round pick instead of a 2nd, would that spark your interest? Or as was discussed earlier, Juulsen straight up for him (maybe with a little add if necessary)?

Of course, with the current information he's not willing to waive but he could change his mind right?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Fine, so I undervalued him. If we offered a 1st round pick instead of a 2nd, would that spark your interest? Or as was discussed earlier, Juulsen straight up for him (maybe with a little add if necessary)?

Of course, with the current information he's not willing to waive but he could change his mind right?

Let's say Juolevi has an insane camp, and Edler has an epiphany/bump on the head and reads the writing on the walls, and waives.

Brook and a 1st, or Juulsen+?

Yeah, we're getting closer. Brook and your first could be workable, but would I be correct in assuming you'd want to offload a cap dump as well?

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Let's say Juolevi has an insane camp, and Edler has an epiphany/bump on the head and reads the writing on the walls, and waives.

Brook and a 1st, or Juulsen+?

Yeah, we're getting closer. Brook and your first could be workable, but would I be correct in assuming you'd want to offload a cap dump as well?

Actually no we don't need to offload a cap dump, at least to take on Edler's contract. Our cap situation is alright with almost $10mil to play with and no big raises coming ahead in the next two years.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Actually no we don't need to offload a cap dump, at least to take on Edler's contract. Our cap situation is alright with almost $10mil to play with and no big raises coming ahead in the next two years.

Then yes, we're in the ball park valuewise, but we must overcome Edler's reluctance to waive his NTC, and any trade would likely be conditional on his replacement/heir apparent being ready to step in.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I actually would like Edler.

Would Shaw and McCarron do it for Vancouver fans?? Maybe adding a pick?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
That crossed my mind too, Juulsen could be expendable since we have Petry and Weber locked for years in RD. However, he's a very good prospect and Edler won't likely have many years left as a top 4 dman so I'd say Vancouver needs to add a little if we traded Juulsen for Edler.

We need to add to Edler, a minute munching dman that can play on the top pairing and not look too out of place for an unproven prospect that would be lucky to even turn into a player half as good as Edler?

Damn.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Seems low for Edler. I think if Van waits until the deadline, they could do much better.

I don't think Edler has much value. As the OP says he's trending down. Most importantly so is his health. You really want to wait until the deadline and hope he's not injured? I wouldn't.

You also have to look at the risk in that contract. He's not near a 5 million dollar dman this year never mind next.

Trade him and embrace the suck Canuck fans. Linden/Benning don't seem to understand this but I hope Canuck fans do.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I like brook, I think edler would be great in Montreal.
I'm not sure if that's enough, and I could understand why Montreal wouldn't trade their first. If Montreal added both their 2018 2nds, maybe a deal is closer ?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I like brook, I think edler would be great in Montreal.
I'm not sure if that's enough, and I could understand why Montreal wouldn't trade their first. If Montreal added both their 2018 2nds, maybe a deal is closer ?

Edler's body doesn't seem able to handle the regular season. What do you think the odds are he makes it through a playoff schedule? When you are talking about the Habs that's an important question. If its no or unlikely I don't think the Habs would go that high.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Edler's body doesn't seem able to handle the regular season. What do you think the odds are he makes it through a playoff schedule? When you are talking about the Habs that's an important question. If its no or unlikely I don't think the Habs would go that high.

apply the reduced travel throughout the season, as well as somewhat a reduced role compared to what he's doing in Vancouver. If you add in that the east is also less heavy and physical compared to the west(especially the cali teams) that helps too. Maybe adding conditions on one pick ?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
apply the reduced travel throughout the season, as well as somewhat a reduced role compared to what he's doing in Vancouver. If you add in that the east is also less heavy and physical compared to the west(especially the cali teams) that helps too. Maybe adding conditions on one pick ?

Josh Brook+2nd +conditional pick

based on how many games Elder plays in the the playoffs this year, or maybe percentage of the habs playoff games he plays in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad