Status
Not open for further replies.

eastcoast72

Sep 19, 2011
Gallagher
Kassian
DSP
Weise

Not a tonne of scoring, but damn that's hard to play against. I have no issue having those guys on our team during a playoff series. Getting a guy like Kassian allows us to play guys like Hudon and Andrighetto without worrying about intimidation or net presence.

Playoffs ? Not with that Hab's 4-some on the right side.
The days of crash 'n banging your way to the top of the standings are over.
Speed 'n skill is the name of the game.

Just look at the Bolts right side:

Stamkos
Kucherov
Callahan
Brown

Total goals this past season = 99 goals

The Habs right side = 50 goals

...'nuff said

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I wasn't sure about this guy in his draft year...had many a debate with TT over him as I thought he was overrated and kept advising him not to draft him (he went before we picked).

As was suggested..can drive you crazy after awhile....floats around doing nothing far too often...hits with his ass most of the time...thinks he's a finesse player when he should be playing like a power forward...he can fight but not as smartly as Prust. Always left me wanting more...and questions about his hockey sense/maturity didn't help.

On the other hand..the cost was low for a former top 12 pick from just 6 years ago, he is just entering his prime..presumably has done some maturing..he brings imposing size to the lineup and is hard to contain on the cycle when he chooses to play a power game. He has a hard shot, can distribute the puck, and will score some goals. If he plays close to his potential...guess what....he's a second-line right winger.

I don't mind the gamble...have DSP, Holloway and Kassian battle along with the likes of Andrighetto, Hudon Scherbak Thomas,,..perhaps DLR....,for a second-line spot on right wing. That's a pretty nice mix...and I don't think it is unrealistic to hope for at least one of them to earn a top-six spot.

If anyone can simplify his game..and that's what needs to be done with him..north south and less east-west,..it's Therrien :)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Just like the Bruins who paid 20M for a 32 pts 27 years old forward? I'll take the 24 yr old at 2M.

And like I said...if we would have been the team who would have gotten Belesky, everybody would be ecstatic. But hey, that's how it works.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Love Prust in is first season, but considering that he just wasn't has effective anymore we got a guy that is younger, bigger, faster, more skilled and clear some cap space. Worst case he is a upgrade over Prust and we get a pick, if we are lucky he able to play in the top 6.

Great move by MB

Even if a RW might be the last thing we need I would of like to take a chance on Semin.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Kassian and DSP give the Habs a couple of big young guys with skills. But they're both a roll of the dice, DSP needs to drop like at least 10 pounds to get his skating up, and Kassian needs to get his bad back sorted out.

For the Canucks, Prust gives us a nose-to-the-grindstone, heart-on-his-sleeve veteran leader for the fourth line so that Kenins-Horvat-Hansen can become the third line. Then when we are last in the division next spring we can move him at the deadline. Hopefully for more than a fifth-rounder!

Key to this deal is that neither of these guys were coming back to their teams when their contracts are up next year. Habs take a chance on the guy with higher upside, Canucks get stability with the guy where you know what you're getting. And whenever you can add a guy who all the refs in the league hate you gotta do it. Hope they play him with Burrows lol.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I wasn't sure about this guy in his draft year...had many a debate with TT over him as I thought he was overrated and kept advising him not to draft him (he went before we picked).

As was suggested..can drive you crazy after awhile....floats around doing nothing far too often...hits with his ass most of the time...thinks he's a finesse player when he should be playing like a power forward...he can fight but not as smartly as Prust. Always left me wanting more...and questions about his hockey sense/maturity didn't help.

On the other hand..the cost was low for a former top 12 pick from just 6 years ago, he is just entering his prime..presumably has done some maturing..he brings imposing size to the lineup and is hard to contain on the cycle when he chooses to play a power game. He has a hard shot, can distribute the puck, and will score some goals. If he plays close to his potential...guess what....he's a second-line right winger.

I don't mind the gamble...have DSP, Holloway and Kassian battle along with the likes of Andrighetto, Hudon Scherbak Thomas,,..perhaps DLR....,for a second-line spot on right wing. That's a pretty nice mix...and I don't think it is unrealistic to hope for at least one of them to earn a top-six spot.

If anyone can simplify his game..and that's what needs to be done with him..north south and less east-west,..it's Therrien :)

I'm hoping for the bold part!! (thank-you :popcorn: ).

Maybe the Habs would have drafted Kassian at 18th (instead of Leblanc)...If Leblanc wasn't there anymore?! We shall never know?! (and/or Kassian was projected to go top 10-15 anyways, so he would not have been available, but wondering if Habs would have taken him...doesn't matter now since we have him!).

It really does look like there is some ''wild/crazy'' in him (in his eyes, demeanor, missing teeth, way he acts on ice, etc,etc!! but if he can control this ''wild/crazy'' he may just be a solid 2nd or 3rd line PF for us...I'll be crossing my fingers). Some thought Ryan White was too crazy (too many crazy penalties)... I still miss Ryan ''old-school warrior'' White (always felt his hockey/pts projection had way more potential VS Prust). I would have been more patient with White. Oh well...I'm just glad we're giving a chance to Kassian...I really think it can work out (love his potential). Hopefully he's more mature...very possible at 24-25 VS 21-22.

#9:
First thing's first...Kassian will have to pick another number!! (#98? #89? #96? ninety-something!,etc,etc...he can pick any number as long as he can be that solid PF 2nd or 3rd liner for us...Go Kassian Go!!).

Last edited:

Smokey McCanucks

Dec 21, 2010
Is this the same Kassian that Gooned it up against the Habs in the playoffs.
I clearly remember Kassian being nothing more that a Pillow Puncher.

No that's the Kassian that played for the Sens and the Wild, different guys. This Kassian played for Buffalo and Vancouver and infamously clobbered some poor kid in the OHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This season will be crucial for Kassian. He has all of the tools, size, skill, speed, toughness. Concerning that he has been traded twice, literally given away today.
Then you look at how Dale Weise was chased out of the Same town and never received a chance only to turn into a solid 3rd liner.
Bold prediction- Kassian breaks out with a 20/20 season!

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think your vastly underestimating the human aspect of the refs and how badly they are lead by Campbell.

i;m out west this year... will get to see a bunch of the nucks games... i'll keep an eye on it and get back to you :popcorn:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
I really hope Zack pans out for us and fulfills his potential. A top 6 RW power forward is exactly what this team needs. Please let something like this work out for once. PLEASE.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I like the trade.

1. I was never a huge Prust fan, the upside with Zassian is much higher here.
2. Though the Habs got another project, I can respect the fact that there is an attempt to find a long-term solution on the wing instead of chasing quick cheap fixes like they've tried to do since moving Cole. It satisfies my wishes in that sense.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
This season will be crucial for Kassian. He has all of the tools, size, skill, speed, toughness. Concerning that he has been traded twice, literally given away today.
Then you look at how Dale Weise was chased out of the Same town and never received a chance only to turn into a solid 3rd liner.
Bold prediction- Kassian breaks out with a 20/20 season!

Could be a good time to give him a 1 or 2 yr extension a la cheap?
(I'm predicting 15 goals and 15assists...maybe more...not too much or else the RFA contract will be too expensive!!;)).

Most important:
I hope he will be a playoff warrior.
(only many or key injuries can stop us from making the playoffs, so for me it's all about the playoffs).

Better at actual hockey:
Kassian>>>>>>>Prust
White>>>Prust

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I like the trade.

1. I was never a huge Prust fan, the upside with Zassian is much higher here.
2. Though the Habs got another project, I can respect the fact there is an attempt to find a long-term solution on the wing instead of chasing quick cheap fixes like they've tried to do since moving Cole.

unless Kassian is as advertised, in which case we're right back where we started next summer.

thought i'm of course crossing my fingers that the kid has a bertuzzi-like wake-up, and MB comes away looking like a genius for securing the next great PF in the league for next to nothing... hope is a powerful, yet dangerous, thing...

Smokey McCanucks

Dec 21, 2010
My scouting report on ol Kass might be a little biased cause he has been one of my favorite players to watch in the last couple seasons. He's an exciting player and he's a character, wears his heart on his sleeve as they say...it's not always a good thing.

He can skate, real good skater, but he doesn't always (usually) know where he ought to be skating to.

He has a terrific shot, which is how a good portion of his goals come.

He's actually a really good passer as well although you wouldn't say he sees the ice well.

Following up on all that, he has the skill set (skating, passing, shot) and the size but he lacks awareness. If you've ever played on a poorly-prepared hockey team where nobody is on the same page, it doesn't matter the skills, if nobody knows where they should be or what the plan is you are not gonna be able to string plays together. That's always been Kassian's problem from day one here, he is on a different page and so he can't unlock his skills like he should. He doesn't know what the other guys are gonna do and he doesn't know what he should be doing, so he ends up out of position and out of the play. At first it was like, well he's with a new team and practice and coaching will sort it out. Never happened. It's especially glaring on the defensive end. Has repeatedly just driven coaches nuts on account of all that so I am interested to see how he will work with Therrien. MT will either be exactly what he needs or the end of the line.

Kassian's a great player for fans because at any time he could pull some crazy skill move, crush someone with a hit, drop the gloves and break a fool or start pretty much any kind of drama imaginable. MTL is the perfect place for him. I'd give better odds he either does something that starts a riot or is out of the lineup entirely than that he just has a normal, boring season. More likely to put up something like 28/20/120 or 3/1/60 and multiple suspensions than anything normal.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Interesting trade by Bergevin.

Prust's 1st season with Montreal was great - he was hitting everything in sight and fought bigger and tougher guys. Injuries took a toll on him though, particularly his shoulders. You could see he couldn't play that way anymore. Shame, 'cause he really was effective for us when he first got here. He's also a great locker room guy, so he'll be missed that's for sure.

That said, Bergevin traded for someone younger who'll be RFA after next season and, more importantly, has offensive potential.

Gomez91

Fala!!
Nov 27, 2011
Where I want
Bergevin the 5th round collector

Garbage collector more like it any GM just off a Semi final conference loss would address team need, MB makes a cash saving minor trade and thinks he is a step closer to the finals lol. With Kassian is Montreal better than Tampa Bay? I say no MB fixed the team how?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Interesting trade by Bergevin.

Prust's 1st season with Montreal was great - he was hitting everything in sight and fought bigger and tougher guys. Injuries took a toll on him though, particularly his shoulders. You could see he couldn't play that way anymore. Shame, 'cause he really was effective for us when he first got here. He's also a great locker room guy, so he'll be missed that's for sure.

That said, Bergevin traded for someone younger who'll be RFA after next season and, more importantly, has offensive potential.

Steve Begin was a great Hab,his style was awesome to watch
He'd always lay it on the line like a mad man banging,even nailing Chara time and again ......but took a big toll on him .
Same with Prusty in the same way i think the warrior he is we all like to think there invincible but heading for 32
it's catching up with him now ...I love these guys

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
What's really impressive about him to me is that he's full out admitted every fault to a tee today. Admitting something is basically 80% of the job in correcting it. Kassian is coming here with something to prove imo.

Apr 28, 2010
We need to step it up, guys. Nucks fans already have 2 threads about this trade.. :laugh:

Can't wait to watch Kassian, though. Still only 24 years old.

I will also miss Prusty. Great team guy.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
We need to step it up, guys. Nucks fans already have 2 threads about this trade.. :laugh:

Can't wait to watch Kassian, though. Still only 24 years old.

I will also miss Prusty. Great team guy.

I like Kassian as well but we need to temper expectations.

He's 24 and this is his 3rd team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad