Confirmed with Link: [MTL/TB] Sergachev + cond. 2nd (2018) for Drouin + cond. 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We could’ve had that, but the GM bought a dog.

He said to Markov and Radulov. We have our terms. Take them or leave them. Meanwhile other GMs did what you're supposed to do and made those players feel wanted. Sigh...

Dogs are incredibly forgiving of human error. But even a dog won't appreciate an owner that doesn't make them feel wanted.

Reactions: LaP

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It is a fact that the Habs would be much better off with Serg + Radulov.
No doubt, Radulov is looking great in Dallas, he seems to have settled in to even being a leader on the team. Serghechev with Weber would have been great. Looks how Weber's mentoring has helped a guy like Mete. Imagine the benefit to Sergechev.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
It was a bad trade from day 1. You never trade a young potential #1 defencemen for an inconsistent winger. And I guarentee the only reason it was made was because Drouin is french-Canadian.
Lets not get carried away here. Drouin is a FANTASTIC player. He's never been given a real chance to succeed. It's not a big secret that Cooper and Yzerman did not like him; JD was wasted in that stacked Tampa line-up. When he had a chance to play with Kucherov, he looked amazing. It was said over the summer when the trade happened - Drouin is not a centerpiece, but he can be a great supporting player. Sergachev was perceived by Montreal management as damaged goods; his first stint with the Habs was awful. The Habs should have never rushed him last season. And yeah, they gave up on him very quickly. But at the time, he didn't quiet look like he had the IQ to be a top pairing D. He sure does now, but that's hindsight.

ps. The scary thing is, Sergachev + Point can fetch Tampa Karlsson. Imagine that blue line, with Hedman, EK, and Stralman. Holy cr*p.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Drouin is not a centerpiece, but he can be a great supporting player.

If he's not a centerpiece then it's a bad trade. Cause Sergachev will more than likely become one.

I've never been a big fan of JD. Goes back to junior. When TB drafting him 3rd overall in front of Jones i simply could not believe it. I personally would have drafted Jones in an heartbeat back then (without insight).

This said when the trade was made i was willing to give it a chance. I thought we were going to sign Markov and Radulov which would have put us in a position where we could not wait for Sergachev to blossom. Drouin was closer to his prime and he legitimately was making our offense better.

But after we did not sign Radulov and Markov i was one of the first to call this trade bad. If you are not going to try to win now it's far better to build around a potential top pairing dman than a winger with attitude problems.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The thing about this trade is that the context was very poorly thought out by the management...

Drouin may or may not have the overall ability to become a dominant player (vs being a high quality supportive/2nd tier scorer). Bringing him into a market like montreal, desperate for both offensive talent and "the next franchophone superstar", then signing him to a lucrative long term deal, then doing absolutely nothing else to improve the team's offensive talent (while simultaneously downgrading the defensive group, in particular in the puck moving/offensive talent department) was unbelievably stupid.

Sets him up to fail. MB continues to show no concept of strategy, player emotional IQ, or team building.

These kinds of things need to be a part of the equation, saddly MB seems to be caught up in a video game approach to managing the team, ignorant to the human factors that ultimately make the difference between success and failure.

That they also seemed to have badly underestimated just how talented Sergachev is, is not Drouin's fault, but it is further sign of the overall incompetence guiding the organization.

Reactions: Sorinth and LaP

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
If he's not a centerpiece then it's a bad trade. Cause Sergachev will more than likely become one.
That's what it looks like now. But it's not what it looked like 6 months ago. Sergachev was lucky he didn't get a career-ending injury in those games he played last year. Could only be described as lost & confused. And yes, he looks like a mean, highly skilled beast now. As I said, hindsight is 20/20.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's what it looks like now. But it's not what it looked like 6 months ago. Sergachev was lucky he didn't get a career-ending injury in those games he played last year. Could only be described as lost & confused. And yes, he looks like a mean, highly skilled beast now. As I said, hindsight is 20/20.

Honestly i called it after we did not sign Radulov. I said short term Drouin would replace Radulov (thus not improving our team) and long term Sergachev had more potential.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Honestly i called it after we did not sign Radulov. I said short term Drouin would replace Radulov (thus not improving our team) and long term Sergachev had more potential.
Drouin would have been a great complimentary piece had the team retained Radulov and Markov, and shipped off Sergachev + Galcheyuk + pick somewhere for a #1C. If Sergachev becomes a real beast (he is a mean player, not intimidated by anyone) then these moves would still be questioned. BUT they would at least make sense, and would improve the team in the short run.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Drouin would have been a great complimentary piece had the team retained Radulov and Markov,

I agree. And that's why i did not call this trade the day he was made. I was 100% sure we were going to sign Radulov and Markov and i liked the trade. I mean with Markov, Radulov AND Drouin we legitimately had a great team. Still lacking a first line center but it would have been one of the best group of wingers. Being strong on the wing is usually not a recipe for success but can't fault a GM for trying his best to win. What is frustrating about this trade is it really looks like it was a smoke grenade to hide the fact we were not going to sign Radulov and Markov (unless they accepted MB final offer). Listening to Markov it's like MB did not even try hard to sign him. I mean MB knew the perspectives to sign Radulov and Markov were not good when he acquired Drouin.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I agree. And that's why i did not call this trade the day he was made. I was 100% sure we were going to sign Radulov and Markov and i liked the trade. I mean with Markov, Radulov AND Drouin we legitimately had a great team. Still lacking a first line center but it would have been one of the best group of wingers. Being strong on the wing is usually not a recipe for success but can't fault a GM for trying his best to win. What is frustrating about this trade is it really looks like it was a smoke grenade to hide the fact we were not going to sign Radulov and Markov (unless they accepted MB final offer). Listening to Markov it's like MB did not even try hard to sign him. I mean MB knew the perspectives to sign Radulov and Markov were not good when he acquired Drouin.

competitive team.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'd like to issue an apology to @Habs Icing . I thought this trade was useless, but fair value. But in fact, even as a Drouin fan, it's looking like a disaster.

You got nothing to apologize for.

Yesterday I scrolled through the old thread concerning the Drouin thread and even I wasn't all that upset about the value. I posted as much. I was just concerned that the trade didn't meet any of our needs.

I can remember thinking at the time that the trade was almost of equal value - slightly in Tampa Bay's favour. What I was really worried about was that Drouin was not a center and he had displayed some emotional immaturity in Tampa Bay.

I still think the trade can be salvaged by moving Drouin to the wing.

However that doesn't solve the center men issues.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Lets not get carried away here. Drouin is a FANTASTIC player. He's never been given a real chance to succeed. It's not a big secret that Cooper and Yzerman did not like him; JD was wasted in that stacked Tampa line-up. When he had a chance to play with Kucherov, he looked amazing. It was said over the summer when the trade happened - Drouin is not a centerpiece, but he can be a great supporting player. Sergachev was perceived by Montreal management as damaged goods; his first stint with the Habs was awful. The Habs should have never rushed him last season. And yeah, they gave up on him very quickly. But at the time, he didn't quiet look like he had the IQ to be a top pairing D. He sure does now, but that's hindsight.

ps. The scary thing is, Sergachev + Point can fetch Tampa Karlsson. Imagine that blue line, with Hedman, EK, and Stralman. Holy cr*p.
How do you fit that under the cap unless Karlsson is a run for the cup asset that they re-trade before his contract is up?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I didn't see last night's game. But remember Drouin hasn't been ill, so it's not surprising if he sucked, had no energy.

I'm not sold on Drouin. He can stick-handle in a phone booth and dance with the puck. But can he play hockey?

But I'm not ready to give up on him. He has skills and hockey sense. Can he put it all together?

With the way Timmins churns out defense (McDonagh, Subban, Sergachev, Streit, Mete, Beaulieu, Emelin, Yannick Weber - that's 8 dmen in 14 years + Juulsen and Lernout as legit prospects) we're getting between 1 dman every two years and 2 every 3, and the way we're starved for offense, if we trade a dman for an elite offensive player, even if a winger, it's definitely not the worst thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad