Confirmed with Link: [MTL/PIT] Joseph Blandisi & Jake Lucchini for Phil Varone & Riley Barber

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Josh Anderson and Kovalchuk traded to BOS :D
Know you're joking but wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson in Boston (Jarmo will ask a 1st round pick). Kovalchuk??? Will be interesting.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It’s an ahl deal. I’m not a MB defender, but the guy IS allowed to make deals for Laval too. It’s his job. Not sure why this is even getting this much discussion.

and yes, I know he needs to fix the Habs. I know.

Not long after this trade, Tampa and Florida made an AHL trade (Greco for Martel). Habs aren't the only ones to make these kinds of trades.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It’s an ahl deal. I’m not a MB defender, but the guy IS allowed to make deals for Laval too. It’s his job. Not sure why this is even getting this much discussion.

and yes, I know he needs to fix the Habs. I know.
f*** him. :laugh: We live in Hamilton. Watched the Bulldogs for years and years. Then Bergevin and Sly turned that team into an unwatchable pile of shit every Friday night. Play offs became a thing of the past.

Sound familiar ?

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
f*ck him. :laugh: We live in Hamilton. Watched the Bulldogs for years and years. Then Bergevin and Sly turned that team into an unwatchable pile of shit every Friday night. Play offs became a thing of the past.

Sound familiar ?
I didn’t comment on the quality of the trade. Just the act itself. It was more for the usual “plan the parade” people.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I didn’t comment on the quality of the trade. Just the act itself. It was more for the usual “plan the parade” people.
"its his job" (minor league team) Is what I replied back to.

You will forgive me and anyone in Hamilton if we laugh out loud at that comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
"its his job" (minor league team) Is what I replied back to.

You will forgive me anyone in Hamilton if we laugh out loud at that comment.
Whether someone thinks he’s bad or good at his job doesn’t matter. what I said is true. It is his job to manage the organization as a whole.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Whether someone thinks he’s bad or good at his job doesn’t matter. what I said is true. It is his job to manage the organization as a whole.
We know that. But you replied to my comment of who gives a shit.

A GMs duties are all too obvious.

But thanks anyways

Cheers

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
Lucchini was captain in the BCHL and NCAA, most be a good team player.
I saw a lot of comments about Blandisi being a decent 4C option who plays with energy and has amazing work ethic. Maybe to take the spot if Thompson if he gets trade?

Reactions: Fixxer

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Really liked Dumonts article in the Athletic today.

I don't want to excuse Bouchard, as I think the team should be in a position to make the playoffs.

That said, Ive liked the way he manages his young players quite a bit. KKs and Evans are getting a lot of responsibilities for example.

But Dumont touches on why veterans might not quite like Bouchard, even if the reasons are implied. And I tend to side with Bouchard. These guys should be pros. I get why they play for their next contract but frankly I don't give a shit. The better teams have guys who buy in and pay attention to details.

Some of the things Varone and Barber did were frankly unacceptable for veterans. Peca too. He directly caused the loss and I hope he packs his bags as well. Those are awful influences.

If MB was smart, which he's not, he'd give Bouchard assist GM duties to build his team, as clearly there are types of players that respond well to him and some that don't.

Anyways, all of this makes me appreciate Hudon that much more. That guy's got a lot of heart and professionalism.

Also, I don't know if hell ever be a regular NHLer, but man does Evans have a great attitude. Guys a leader on and off the ice. He's super consistent shift to shift and real smart on both ends.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
MB just traded some pending UFA AHLers for pending RFA AHLers. It's called good asset management because the Habs had no interest if bringing back Barber or Varone. They can resign the 2 RFAs for Laval this summer. The question to ask here is why the Pens were looking to acquire 2 AHL players on expiring contracts.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
MB just traded some pending UFA AHLers for pending RFA AHLers. It's called good asset management because the Habs had no interest if bringing back Barber or Varone. They can resign the 2 RFAs for Laval this summer. The question to ask here is why the Pens were looking to acquire 2 AHL players on expiring contracts.

Barber is a Pittsburgh native and a better scorer. Varone can fill in the NHL better than Lucchini.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Extra depth... In a long playoff run you can go through a lot of bodies!

Plus they really didn't give up anything...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This also helps Laval with the vet rule. Both Barber and Varone count as vets. Blandisi and Lucchini both don't count as vets. Laval's vets right now are Peca, Hudon, Veilleux, and Alzner. Goalies don't count so Kinkaid may be a vet, but he isn't considered one in the AHL.

Also, Bouchard said that when Varone and Peca were injured and Barber was in Montreal, and Laval had less talent on the ice, they were having more success because those players would battle an commit and buy in.

Reactions: Andrei79

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure what we gained or lost, we're still at 48 contracts? So what the hell is this trade doing?

Removing two players who weren't putting team first and seemed to not accept their roles within the organization and were unhappy and in return, they're bringing in two guys who don't put up the kind of production Barber and Varone could offer, but may very well be better fits for what Bouchard is trying to accomplish. Only time will tell.

But with Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Evans, and Hudon taking up the bulk of the TOI coupled with the fact vets like Barber, Varone, and Peca weren't/aren't delivering their share made them expendable.

Barber - Varone - Peca was the 4th line last night and they were all invisible. I could see Blandisi and Lucchini play those roles better.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If MB was smart, which he's not, he'd give Bouchard assist GM duties to build his team, as clearly there are types of players that respond well to him and some that don't.
Judging from the number of former Armada players, as well as the speed with which players who displeased him are traded away (McCarron, Varone, Barber), Bouchard has a strong influence on roster construction.
Frankly, if you compare his Armada connections with players found by Larry Carrier (Lynch, McEneny etc.),I don't know if he deserves that much influence in this field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad