Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
:habs Zaitsev

:sens Weber

Habs save 3.357M in cap space each of the next 3YRs, then 4.5M once Zaitsev's deal is finished in 4YRs. Get a replacement RD that is decent in a 2nd/3rd pairing D role. Big benefit for them is getting rid of Weber's 7.857M cap hit and replacing him with a younger D, avoiding the risk of a significant decline in Weber's play as he approaches his late 30s.

Sens get the better of the two D right now. Weber has no NTC so he can't say no. He makes the same salary as Zaitsev over the next 2YRs (9M), and then makes 1M in the last 3YRs of his deal (if he doesn't retire early), which is music to Melnyk's ears. Much higher cap hit doesn't hurt the Sens, since it's unlikely they'll ever spend to the cap as a budget team. Could be a great fit beside Chabot.

Thoughts?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
value of habs players is so skew on this site, im done.

There's no question Weber would have a decent amount of value if not for his contract, but he's 35 with a 7.857M cap hit until the end of the 2025/26 season. How much value would he have around the league because of it?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Weber is on the decline no doubt but the chance he gets worse than Zaitsev or even close in the next two seasons is incredibly slim lol with his injury history and career earnings of roughly 130 million I will eat my shoe if Weber is playing past 2023 for 1 million a year

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This isn't a fair trade for the Habs. C'mon, grumbling?

Well, there's another thread on this very board about tearing down the Habs completely.

With Weber's big cap hit, there aren't going to be a lot of trading partners.

The Senators are one of the few teams out there that can absorb that size of a contract on an aging asset.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's clever but I suspect there will be a lot of grumbling for no reason.

I mean I get it. The idea of trading your captain and a legendary D for a lesser player to save cap space is hard to swallow, even if it's possibly in the team's best interest long-term.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Man people on this board really don't understand Weber's contract and why it won't be a problem if the Habs want to trade him. The team will not be taking back a bad contract for him as there's no need. There will be in the next year or two several teams who will have no problem and/or want to take on Weber's hit.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
:habs Zaitsev

:sens Weber

Habs save 3.357M in cap space each of the next 3YRs, then 4.5M once Zaitsev's deal is finished in 4YRs. Get a replacement RD that is decent in a 2nd/3rd pairing D role. Big benefit for them is getting rid of Weber's 7.857M cap hit and replacing him with a younger D, avoiding the risk of a significant decline in Weber's play as he approaches his late 30s.

Sens get the better of the two D right now. Weber has no NTC so he can't say no. He makes the same salary as Zaitsev over the next 2YRs (9M), and then makes 1M in the last 3YRs of his deal (if he doesn't retire early), which is music to Melnyk's ears. Much higher cap hit doesn't hurt the Sens, since it's unlikely they'll ever spend to the cap as a budget team. Could be a great fit beside Chabot.

Thoughts?
Thoughts are if you want to save cap space just leave Weber unprotected in the expansion draft and sign RHD Dougie Hamilton to replace Weber.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well, there's another thread on this very board about tearing down the Habs completely.

With Weber's big cap hit, there aren't going to be a lot of trading partners.

The Senators are one of the few teams out there that can absorb that size of a contract on an aging asset.

Sure, but in real dollars his contract is front loaded. The next five years it goes from $6 Million to $3Million and then to $1 Million for the last three years.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don't see why Ottawa does this. Webers contract would be an issue when we have to resign tkachuk, stutzle, Norris, batherson, brannstrom, etc

He's still a good player but that contract would keep teams away.

Reactions: 3rdWheelNeil

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The Zaitser has been very solid this season, the best he has looked as a Senator and a big reason for the Sens improving as of late.

Weber is on the decline, but he is still Shea Weber who a young team like the Sens can learn from. That said, the cap is too high and age related diminishing return on investment is inevitable. Very few teams can take on the cap that size. Barring a useless one bad cap for another type trade, Montreal either has to retain cap or give up some assets to make Weber'a cap hit another team's problem.

Cannot see Eugene El Cheapo Melnyk approving such a move.

In a vacuum, with salary/cap reality, you are looking at Weber+ for Zaitsev.

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's clever but I suspect there will be a lot of grumbling for no reason.

Stutzle (0.579 PPG) for Armia (0.583 PPG)

Ottawa is the worst defensive team in the league, so adding a better defensive forward that produces at the same rate would be a sensible move for them.

No grumbling.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man people on this board really don't understand Weber's contract and why it won't be a problem if the Habs want to trade him. The team will not be taking back a bad contract for him as there's no need. There will be in the next year or two several teams who will have no problem and/or want to take on Weber's hit.

Zaitsev has actually been pretty decent this year. Good enough to justify a protection spot.

I'm still a little skeptical since he was underwhelming last season, but I don't think I'd consider his contract a particularly bad one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stutzle (0.579 PPG) for Armia (0.583 PPG)

Ottawa is the worst defensive team in the league, so adding a better defensive forward that produces at the same rate would be a sensible move for them.

No grumbling.

Your analogy would make sense if Stutzle is 29 years old and Armia is 35.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Clever, but as the Sens I say no.

I still think Zaitsev is a better fit for Ottawa. We're not ready for a playoff run, and I'm worried how much Weber will decline by the time the Sens are ready to make the playoffs in the next season or two.

I'd consider it next season or two seasons from now if Weber doesn't decline too much.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Thoughts are if you want to save cap space just leave Weber unprotected in the expansion draft and sign RHD Dougie Hamilton to replace Weber.

That's interesting. I could see Seattle selecting Weber to be their captain, despite his cap hit. Somewhat of a local guy too given he's from BC.

Might be a way for the Habs to clear his contract off their books without adding any cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad