Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttery

Feb 21, 2015
UK
I hope the Leafs don't make any trades today.... What a day!

Head v heart on Stamkos too. Not the end of the world, and what I thought he'd do.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I imagine he was clearing space for a Stamkos offer, and everything was good to go before Stamkos' agent broke the news to the suitors.

Nashville asked Montreal, "still want to do it?" and Montreal just did it.
Bigger, more experienced, "safer", reliable, and cheaper All-Star D, locked in long term.

It's a confusing deal, but its not a bad one.

Getting the safer, bigger, more experienced, reliable and cheaper dman isn't confusing at all.

Habs fans are confused of course, because they don't see the negatives on Subban. As an outsider who is neither a fan of, or have any real disdain for either team, it makes sense to me.

The scary part on my end is that Habs would actually do something this smart despite the fact that they had to know backlash would be HUGE

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Weber has a lower cap hit and his contract is all but paid off. Gives them flexibility to add another top 4 dman.

$1.2 mil. caphit difference doesn't mean a whole lot in the long run.

Being free from a contractual obligation to a player 5 years sooner does.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't understand Bergevin's thinking here. He made his evaluations I guess...
He must really not want Subban around anymore. That's the only reason I see.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I actually think Weber is still the better player here. However, the clock is ticking on that one and Subban was a player built from within. When a team trades a star player on their team, that is NEVER a good sign. Even if the return is good.

Hell look at Chicago last year when they moved Sharp...how did the Hawks do this year? Sure they were good, but also a sign that things aren't great anymore.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This deal will look even worse in 3-4 years. I can't for the life of me understand the reasoning behind this deal. They would have been better off trading P.K for Hall. If I'm a MTL fan I'm livid over this.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
What issues? Getting along with Patches and donating money to a kid's hospital?

This is thinnly veiled racism by MTL management, nothing more.

It's a good thing that they're gonna be screwing themselves over in the long run w/ Weber too.

Here's hoping Subban goes on to big things, and MTL gets moved to Seattle.

If MTL is racist enough to make this trade for no other reason, why bother drafting Subban in the first place?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I've never seen a trade that makes less sense than this one.

The Hall/Larsson trade was a fleece job but at least it makes sense for EDM. But this.. this ... I have no idea

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
wow...two bad contracts flipped for one another. how does this make sense for either team? congrats to both, i guess...

Guess the Canadians didn't trust PK enough to continue on with him.

For MTL, the Weber contract won't come back to bite them. Re-capture penalty won't impact the. Weber is due $48 million over the next 6 years then his yearly compensation drops to $3 million then 3 years at $1 million. Is he going to play out his contract for that amount?

Worst case is MTL takes a recapture penalty of under $900k which is allocated over the final 4 years of his contract.

Nashville has to allocate $24.5 million over the years that Weber doesn't play.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
I just...
manfaceaua.jpg

(can't)

...ok, I've had a few minutes, and I can. Personally, I'm a Subby guy. So while I know Weber is good... what the heck, Montreal?

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
Really don't understand this from a Montreal perspective, unless the issues between him and coaching/management really were that bad.

Wow.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Pk is a stud.

Shea Weber is also a stud.

Pk scored 6 goals last year. Weber had 20.

Pk is 6'0 210lbs. Weber is 6'4 230lbs.

Pk might have character issues. Shea is a known leader.

People need to pull their heads out of their *****. It isn't this awful trade that others are making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->