Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] Laurent Dauphin for Michael McCarron

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Have you seen the players they invite to their prospect camp? Heavily biased towards French players as opposed to looking at talent as the only criteria.

Local boys are better known by the scouts. Regardless, these are longshots and it doesn't cost anything to try them out.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure other teams try out local talent.

If they start clearly trading talent for language, then there is a basis to scream.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
McCarron is a bust, but to trade for another with a lower ceiling? Habs should have packaged to trade for a much better player.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Have you seen the players they invite to their prospect camp? Heavily biased towards French players as opposed to looking at talent as the only criteria.

are you francophobe or something? take a look at tampa, they probably were the most heavily biased towards québécois in the last decade, has it hurt them?

what is so wrong with inviting local kids during camp anyway?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
It's a false narrative. There are currently 2 francophone players with the Habs and HF still thinks it's too much.

It's not a false narrative. I provided facts, not a single team in the league compares over Bergevin's tenure. What did you provide?

Bergevin is all about PR.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not sure why but the thread title made me laugh as a little voice went off in my head of someone gasping and saying "The Dauphin"!!!

To explain myself for anyone who doesn't get it, in France that was the title given to the heir of the throne to France.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
They stopped for a while which resulted in hits like Mike Fischer over Claude Giroux

And then they used a 1st rounder on Louis Leblanc.

Either way this is nothing but an AHL trade, maybe to do both players a favour but neither will likely ever amount to more than fringe players.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Now list those who don't speak French.
It’s not about mother tongue for Bergevin. Never has been. You should know that by now. He only concerns himself with the international language of love.

IMG_3871hires-copy.jpg

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Now now, fellas... I think the problem for many non-french speaking fans is the way this organisation came forward some ten years ago and announced that they wont even interview other than french-speaking candidates for GM position, and the way this new french-speaking GM has dealt with things ever since. Add the Koivu conspiracy, some quebec born players and the gross incompetence of Bergevin to the mix, and you have yourselves an angry mob of fans. It is understandable that in this market, Habs would prefer a french-speaking star rather than a guy named Gary America. But I think too many people are tired of trying to find that local boy in the expence of wasting chances to acquire talent from elsewhere. But this trade? It's a minor league deal. Don't really see the problem with trading for Dauphin.

Reactions: Cenzo_

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Now now, fellas... I think the problem for many non-french speaking fans is the way this organisation came forward some ten years ago and announced that they wont even interview other than french-speaking candidates for GM position, and the way this new french-speaking GM has dealt with things ever since. Add the Koivu conspiracy, some quebec born players and the gross incompetence of Bergevin to the mix, and you have yourselves an angry mob of fans. It is understandable that in this market, Habs would prefer a french-speaking star rather than a guy named Gary America. But I think too many people are tired of trying to find that local boy in the expence of wasting chances to acquire talent from elsewhere. But this trade? It's a minor league deal. Don't really see the problem with trading for Dauphin.
Just don't see why this is brought up in a McCarron Vs Dauphin, swap of bust/ahl players. It's not like the current management went of their way to acquire french canadian players or prospects. Perhaps when Therrien was hired, but the guy put up a very respectable record during his tenure without a top tier line up. Then Julien was most likely a top 5 candidate language aside. The reality is fans are angry because the habs haven't been a top team for years, no success in the playoffs since the Halaks miracles, and create a false debate over language... The problem with Bergevin isn't the language he speaks, it's the fact he wasn't able to bring the team to the next level. He had an interesting resumé when he was hired as he helped build the Hawks into multiple cup champions. Was he the best candidate? Probably not in retrospective, but there weren't many candidate that were head and shoulders above him at the time (or perhaps they were, perhaps does guys didn't want to come here too).

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Jim Nill was talked to about the GM position. He declined.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
So every single time Montreal trade for a french speaking player, it's biased?

And the solution is? Never, ever trade for a guy from Quebec. This is beyond stupid.

McCarron is a bust. Dauphin is a bust no matter what the f*** he speaks. It's a bust-a-roo. End of the story.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
And then they used a 1st rounder on Louis Leblanc.

Either way this is nothing but an AHL trade, maybe to do both players a favour but neither will likely ever amount to more than fringe players.

Montreal has 2 first round picks who are french (Leblanc and Eric Chouinard) since 1989. Plus two players with french names who spoke zero french (Beaulieu and Brent Bilodeau)

The idea that they draft players due to language is silliness and not based on any facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad