Proposal: [MTL] Max Domi vs [MIN] Mat Dumba

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah the pick would have to have top 3 protection. I just see Dumba > Domi (slightly) so I think value-wise Montreal’s 1st would make the deal OK for me assuming they picked ~10th. It’s a good draft, but we’d literally be Detroit bad if we made that trade, so...
Yeah, the problem is trading both defensemen will gut your team big time. I think Domi for Dumba is a good trade.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I agree that Brodin is worth a mid-1st pick. But the thing is this draft is pretty strong and MTL is getting a top-10 pick (maybe even top-3). I wouldn't trust MTL's future at all either (1st 2021, etc).

The obvious solution is a top 10 protected first in 2020 + Domi for both.

While it is probable the first is indeed top 10, I think a line-up with a backend like:

Dumba-Brodin
Petry-Romanov
Weber-Chiarot

is quite unlikely to miss the playoffs. Could be wrong, though. Weber-Chiarot would be a heck of a 3rd pairing. ;) Mete/Kulak would certainly be expendable.

Still think the most realistic trade is Domi for Dumba, straight up. Brodin is a less attractive target, but would be doable with an extension attached after July 1st.

Will Toronto be able to pry Dumba before the deadline to help'em in their push this year? That is the great question. They don't have a top 6 C to spare, however.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016

While it is probable the first is indeed top 10, I think a line-up with a backend like:

Dumba-Brodin
Petry-Romanov
Weber-Chiarot

is quite unlikely to miss the playoffs. Could be wrong, though. Weber-Chiarot would be a heck of a 3rd pairing. ;)

Still think the most realistic trade is Domi for Dumba, straight up. Brodin is a less attractive target, but would be doable with an extension attached after July 1st.

Will Toronto be able to pry Dumba before the deadline to help'em in their push this year? That is the great question. They don't have a top 6 C to spare, however.
I'd rather go for Cam Fowler or Hampus Lindholm (if available) for our 1st pick. Fowler top-10 protected, Lindholm top-2 protected (+ a good prospect or decent middle-6 player).

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I'd rather go for Cam Fowler or Hampus Lindholm (if available) for our 1st pick. Fowler top-10 protected, Lindholm top-2 protected (+ a good prospect or decent middle-6 player).

I don't see Murray trading Lindholm ever. It's no secret Bergevin always liked Fowler, but he has a NTC. Fowler should cost a LOT, more than a mid-first IMO. Depends on how high they are on Mahura, I guess. Still, I think Montreal should focus on RHD before LHD.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Funny how you’re always more inclined to think your player is more valuable. I just say Dumba because I know what he was last year and know there’s a chance that he can be that again. It was incredible to watch. He was so dynamic from the blue line. Looked like he was going to be a 1D for the next decade for us. That’s why I have trouble with the idea of trading him after a bad half of a season. He’s been much better since the all-star break. For me, I think Domi and Dumba are both having bad years, but I Valued Dumba >>>> Domi coming I to this year.

Right, and the reverse can be true from a Montreal perspective. Last year Domi was a 70 point center that opened up the ice and played with an infectious edge. And he's also had struggles this year, but he's far from the only one. I don't want to trade Domi (I'd rather move Tatar or Drouin), but sometimes you have to give to get.

I also no how ****ing hard it is to find center depth, so I'm really not eager to see Montreal move a guy that likes being here.

The reality is that there are concerns about both players and trades like this always carry inherent risk. You'd want a plus because Domi has been uneven in his career and might have unrealistic contract demands. I'd want a plus because Domi might have more control depending on his contract and Dumba hasn't looked the same coming off his injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDN24

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Dumba-Brodin
Petry-Romanov
Weber-Chiarot

is quite unlikely to miss the playoffs. Could be wrong, though. Weber-Chiarot would be a heck of a 3rd pairing. ;) Mete/Kulak would certainly be expendable.

Too much protection.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Look, We need a RD that will lead after Weber. Dumba will be around 27-28. We still need "young veteran" in 2+ years and Dumba would be that.

You don't win without a Vet #1RD except if you are Makar
We are not winning for another 3 years at least and this is if our prospect pan out and we get lucky.
Play Alzner, resign Folin and get a UFA stop gap RHD.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
They aren't drafting worth **** either, especially in the first round. With Dumba you know exactly what you're getting and he's young.
That's a whole other issue. Montreal needs a overhaul from top to bottom. Dumba isnt going to do much to help this team if more major changes are made.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
We are not winning for another 3 years at least and this is if our prospect pan out and we get lucky.
Play Alzner, resign Folin and get a UFA stop gap RHD.

Not many top 4 RHD UFA available this year... Altough I agree Pietrangelo would be a decent "stop gap". ;)

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If Bergy received an offer for Petry he liked, I can see him going for Dumba as a replacement for Petry and then pulling the trigger on the Petry trade.

That would be smart asset management.

But as of now, Petry is going nowhere!

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Can’t see us acquiring both. Dumba for Domi is a deal I would make and looks like it make sense for both teams

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Watch Bergevin trade Domi for f***ing 2-goal Brodin. Just watch.

Reactions: HabsQC

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Watch Bergevin trade Domi for ****ing 2-goal Brodin. Just watch.

Were I more informed about the players I was talking about, I probably wouldn’t judge them by their goal totals.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I would do Domi for Dumba.

And trade Petry to the highest bidder.
I'd trade Domi in a hearbeat and even for less. But Petry?? If he's gone, we got an oft-injured Weber, then a barely top 4 Chiarot and the rest of the bunch. Dumba doesn't replace Petry. These guys are difficult to replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad