Proposal: [MTL] Max Domi vs [MIN] Mat Dumba

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Sorry if it already been proposed but I could see a fit for both teams there.

Minnesota wants a good center and Domi is one.

Montreal will have to get younger on the right side of the blue line so Dumba fits that.

What's your thoughts, Minny fans?

By the way, this would also give some leverage to Bergevin to trade Petry for a 1st+good prospect.

Next season, the blue line could look like:

Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Dumba
Mete-Fleury

Thoughts?

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Sorry if it already been proposed but I could see a fit for both teams there.

Minnesota wants a good center and Domi is one.

Montreal will have to get younger on the right side of the blue line so Dumba fits that.

What's your thoughts, Minny fans?

By the way, this would also give some leverage to Bergevin to trade Petry for a 1st+good prospect.

Next season, the blue line could look like:

Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Dumba
Mete-Fleury

Thoughts?
Good basis for a deal, I think value is close. Montreal could add a B prospect or one of their 2nd.

Not sure Domi fits that "1C" value Guerin is gunning for, but I think it is as good as it gets for Dumba.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Did i not read that Weber will return prior to the end of the season. That the injury is not nearly as bad as previously thought?

Why then are we trading for RHD Dumba?

Reactions: BLNY

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Did i not read that Weber will return prior to the end of the season. That the injury is not nearly as bad as previously thought?

Petry has a year left. Weber is often injured. Montreal has no top 4 RHD prospect as of now. Dumba is 25 (No, Brook/Fleury are not top 4 RHD IMO). He is the perfect target for Bergevin... Depending on Weber injuries/Dumba play, if they're out at the trade deadline next year, it would make moving Petry somewhat more realistic.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I'd rather do something around Brodin personally, but I think Domi's at least a viable guy to build a trade around for either defenseman.
Brodin is UFA in a year, that is a big problem.

He's also a LHD. I think Montreal needs to go for a RHD, since their top D prospects are LHD. Romanov is expected on the top 6 next year, rightly so or not.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal

Like I've said in the OP, this trade would also give leverage to Bergevin to trade Petry for a 1st+prospect. Or either a winger or a LHD.

The Habs blue line would get younger and Petry's return would be substancial. Another 1st in this years draft would be great, I think we should bank on Petry's value right now instead of waiting.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Because its probably a bad idea to do a retool/rebuild with your top 2 RHD (and top 2 D) in their 30s. Dumba and Domi are similarly aged, Dumba has a decent term and is paid around what Domi will likely get.

Also, from the OP:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not sure why Montreal would want Dumba with their RD depth. I think Brodin would be the much better target.
All of Montreal best prospects are LHDs (Romanov, Struble, Harris, Norlinder). They have nothing coming up in top 4 potential on the right side. Fleury/Brook are more bottom 6 players.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Brodin is UFA in a year, that is a big problem.

He's also a LHD. I think Montreal needs to go for a RHD, since their top D prospects are LHD. Romanov is expected on the top 6 next year, rightly so or not.
I'm not pushing the idea, just that I'm more comfortable with it than I am Dumba for Domi. Domi needs an extension this summer and, while he's an RFA, he'll probably still be more expensive than either defenseman.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I'm not pushing the idea, just that I'm more comfortable with it than I am Dumba for Domi. Domi needs an extension this summer and, while he's an RFA, he'll probably still be more expensive than either defenseman.
I don't think Domi will command more than 6 millions long term. Even better, I think he could be signed in the 5 millions range on a short term bridge.

Montreal will need term if they trade Domi. If Brodin agrees to an extension on July 1st, that deal could be done then.

I still think Montreal should target a top 4 RHD given their depth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think Domi will command more than 6 millions long term. Even better, I think he could be signed in the 5 millions range on a short term bridge.

Montreal will need term if they trade Domi.
Hmm... if he's likely to end up in the $5m-$6m range with 4+ years I'd have to agree. Just seems like his agent would push for more than that on more than a 2-3 year deal.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Not sure why Montreal would want Dumba with their RD depth. I think Brodin would be the much better target.

You get Dumba and you can trade Petry. You get a massive payment boom your D is solidified. Obviously MB or whomever is the GM needs to trade for a first pairing LHD but your in solid shape with picks and prospects.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Montreal doesnt need Dumba. Montreal needs to trade Domi for 1st round pick++.
By the time Dumba contract expires, the Habs should be on the uphill.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I'll take Dumba, especially if he goes back to wearing #55.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I would do it and given the need on D I wouldn`t mind a small over pay. Minny needs prospects I`d consider Domi plus one of the 2nd round Fins Ylonen or Ikonen (spelling probably way off) for Dumba. Also while RD is now the strength, there are way more LD prospects and the core on RD is getting up there. It allows you to trade Petry or resign him to a managable term. If he will take 3 yrs Weber/petry/Dumba would be one hell of a right side.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Good basis for a deal, I think value is close. Montreal could add a B prospect or one of their 2nd.

Not sure Domi fits that "1C" value Guerin is gunning for, but I think it is as good as it gets for Dumba.

I think Domi fits exactly what Guerin is gunning for. It was Dreger who applied the "1C" label.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad