Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] Nate Thompson and 2019 5th round pick for 2019 4th round pick

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Would be a good series for sure.

Only thing that scares me is if Price were to get hot. If he played like how he played on Saturday night, I’d like the Leafs chance all that more.
Difference is you have no gimmick to rely on to beat us.No 3 on 3 come playoffs. I like our chances against the Leafs.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
So how does this work exactly? When MB wins a trade, it's luck, but when he loses one, it's incompetence?

Then he might be the luckiest GM ever. The Domi trade? Luck. The Tatar/Suzuki trade? Luck. The Armia trade? Luck. The Reilly trade? Luck. The Kulak trade? Luck. The Kotkaniemi drafting? Luck. The Danault trade? Luck. The Petry trade and signing? Luck. The Shaw trade? Luck. The Drouin trade? Luck. Weber being better than Subban this year? Luck. Picking Byron off waivers? Luck. Price back at the top of his game on the first year of his contract? Luck. The hiring of Julien, Ducharme, Richardson and Bouchard? Luck.

But he traded away Eller, gave a contract to Desharnais, lost Scherback to waivers and didn't re-sign 40 years old Markov, so i guess he's incompetent. Clearly.

He's a pretty bad GM and way over his head. It only takes one year of good results to forget about the terrible season they had last year and furthermore, how he destroyed his D core and replaced it with 6th or 7th D. I also forgot to mention how the team never really had any competent center, maybe Pleks, until this year. The Domi and Tatar trades were luck wether you acknowledge it or not. He traded for the players, got rid of players that didn't want to be here. Those players he got are working hard to prove themselves because they realized this was their last chance. He doesn't have a plan and he repeatedly said it. He also said that his D was better with Schlemko and Alzner. Every GM will win a few trades but MB has done more harm than good. The future looks bright however and that's all that matters.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
He's a pretty bad GM and way over his head. It only takes one year of good results to forget about the terrible season they had last year and furthermore, how he destroyed his D core and replaced it with 6th or 7th D. I also forgot to mention how the team never really had any competent center, maybe Pleks, until this year. The Domi and Tatar trades were luck wether you acknowledge it or not. He traded for the players, got rid of players that didn't want to be here. Those players he got are working hard to prove themselves because they realized this was their last chance. He doesn't have a plan and he repeatedly said it. He also said that his D was better with Schlemko and Alzner. Every GM will win a few trades but MB has done more harm than good. The future looks bright however and that's all that matters.

So now it was Domi and Tatar's "last chance"? What the F are you talking about. Domi was a promising young player that 30 other GMs would have welcomed with open arms. Tatar has always been a consistent point producer except for his short stint with Vegas. MB should be considered lucky because he got a player that produces at his career average for cheap??? You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Oof

Oct 23, 2018
The only thing I'm really looking at as a Kings fan is that it frees up a roster spot for one of the young guys and gives us room for an extra contract if we need it, in a pointless year I'd rather have the kids playing

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Yes
Life itself is based around luck, but how can you know he "took a bet"? He was scouting domi ALOT and was interested in him since his draft...

Its funny how you think something went but you clearly have no clue.
No doubt, clearly luck makes me laugh. One of these posters went so far as to say he took what was offered (Tatar trade) by McPhee without negotiation.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
So now it was Domi and Tatar's "last chance"? What the F are you talking about. Domi was a promising young player that 30 other GMs would have welcomed with open arms. Tatar has always been a consistent point producer except for his short stint with Vegas. MB should be considered lucky because he got a player that produces at his career average for cheap??? You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.
Bang on, just more of the same BS. Love the destroyed the d core like Weber, Petry, Mete, Reilly don’t exist. Mb could acquire Sidney Crosby for a 6th round pick and somehow the usual crew would complain it should have been a 7th. Total bias and Bs because they don’t have a clue what they are talking about.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
How can anyone be upset over this? We know Weise and Thompson are 4th liners and they aren't there to be in our top 6, they're brought in to play on the 4th line, win faceoffs and provide some much needed grit, puck control, containing and limiting the opposition's time in our own end and any offense they bring will be gravy.

We have lost games because of our 4th line and our horrid pp. This addresses one of those issues and with their playoffs experience, they'll come in handy should we make it.

Or does anyone dispute that Weise > Agostino and Thompson > Chaput?

That's all there is to it. Both cost us next to nothing and they provide something we need. No one is claiming those are the missing pieces that make us a contender, but at least we won't get swept because teams took advantage of our soft 4th line.

Reactions: Godzilla

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
How can anyone be upset over this? We know Weise and Thompson are 4th liners and they aren't there to be in our top 6, they're brought in to play on the 4th line, win faceoffs and provide some much needed grit, puck control, containing and limiting the opposition's time in our own end and any offense they bring will be gravy.

We have lost games because of our 4th line and our horrid pp. This addresses one of those issues and with their playoffs experience, they'll come in handy should we make it.

Or does anyone dispute that Weise > Agostino and Thompson > Chaput?

That's all there is to it. Both cost us next to nothing and they provide something we need. No one is claiming those are the missing pieces that make us a contender, but at least we won't get swept because teams took advantage of our soft 4th line.
Excellent assessment. These two transactions don’t prove that Bergevin is the next Sam Pollock. They served to improve the team incrementally at a negligible cost. No futures were given away in a vain attempt to bolster an unrealistic expectation of winning this year. Whether the team will be better after these trades at an acceptable cost is the only consideration when assessing the rather insignificant assets involved. Any fan who thinks not is blinded by their distain for Bergevin. I have been one of Bergevin’s greatest critics on this forum. But his efforts to transform this team from hopeless mediocrity to playoff contender over the past year and half must be acknowledged. Whether it was a matter of sheer luck or acquired insightfullness, the results speak for themselves. We now have a fast, exciting team to watch and support. How Bergevin builds on these positive, if not foundational steps, will determine his ultimate legacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I never thought it looked bad myself since I don’t think Sergachev is that good.

Sergachev was appointed All Star status by the fans before he proved anything. I agree right now average defensemen. Although I am not a fan of Drouin either.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Domi's stats last year were 9 goals and 4 empty netters. Before that he never had a season with more than 52 points. That was when he entered the league and has been on the decline ever since until he came here. Nobody expected Domi to have a great season, other GMs saw him as a third liner at best. Tatar was a healthy scratch in Vegas and they paid a lot to get him from the Wings. He was his former self even in Detroit after signing that 4 year extension. When Pac was traded, Tatar was a toss up in the trade because of his bad contract. You can love MB but you can't change my views. Some fans love him and some don't. Now continuing this is beyond pointless.

The worse part of all this is that because Domi and Tatar played beyond expectations, we still have to see MB running this club. His constant retooling of the 3rd and 4th line is a cause of concern. How many 4th liners do we need?

One year of good performances does not erase MB's previous track record.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Nothing and that's why his acquisition will be useless if BargainBin doesn't fix the power play.

Complete fail. He was brought in just like Weise to make the fourth line better. Calling it useless with reference to the pp is a fail.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
in Montreals defense they cant actually think they are going to win the cup in the middle of a rebuild so getting oldies like Weise and Thompson for the 4th line while not giving up anything much is not a bad way to stop gap the 4th line this year

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Domi's stats last year were 9 goals and 4 empty netters. Before that he never had a season with more than 52 points. That was when he entered the league and has been on the decline ever since until he came here. Nobody expected Domi to have a great season, other GMs saw him as a third liner at best. Tatar was a healthy scratch in Vegas and they paid a lot to get him from the Wings. He was his former self even in Detroit after signing that 4 year extension. When Pac was traded, Tatar was a toss up in the trade because of his bad contract. You can love MB but you can't change my views. Some fans love him and some don't. Now continuing this is beyond pointless.

The worse part of all this is that because Domi and Tatar played beyond expectations, we still have to see MB running this club. His constant retooling of the 3rd and 4th line is a cause of concern. How many 4th liners do we need?

One year of good performances does not erase MB's previous track record.

Man, your player evaluation is seriously bad. Statements like "nobody expected Domi to have a good season" or "other GM saw him as a 3rd liner at best" are laughable to anybody who follow hockey. You are posing a harsh judgement on a GM while your own hockey knowledge are flawed. But it's entertaining to read at least.

Reactions: schnapshot

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Man, your player evaluation is seriously bad. Statements like "nobody expected Domi to have a good season" or "other GM saw him as a 3rd liner at best" are laughable to anybody who follow hockey. You are posing a harsh judgement on a GM while your own hockey knowledge are flawed. But it's entertaining to read at least.
It's not flawed it's called living in a make-believe world. Glad he knows what all the other GM's were thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->