Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] Nate Thompson and 2019 5th round pick for 2019 4th round pick

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I suggested he got lucky with Tatar and Domi because they were doing nothing before they came to MTL. They were easily traded away by their respective clubs. They found their game here and MB passes like a genius now. What if they didn't find their game?

Doesnt matter "what if". What matters is the results. He made the trades and they worked out. Armia trade was great, Reilly was good. To say that it is luck is nonsense. Galchenyuk was easily traded away, and it is safe to say no one would want him back over Domi.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Not sure why everyone is complaining so much. Kings fans have been complaining about Thompson because he was playing on the second line and the second-unit powerplay over guys like Kovalchuk and some of the younger guys, but let’s not pretend like Thompson is worthless. He’s a solid veteran that can play on the third or fourth line. Good defensively. A fourth and fifth round pick is basically nothing, and Thompson isn’t signed after this year.

I can’t believe this many people are upset about this trade. He’s a guy that can help Montreal this season, and they got him for basically nothing.

In fact, it's not a fourth and a fifth for Thompson but a late fourth pick for an early fifth pick and N. Thompson.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Doesnt matter "what if". What matters is the results. He made the trades and they worked out. Armia trade was great, Reilly was good. To say that it is luck is nonsense. Galchenyuk was easily traded away, and it is safe to say no one would want him back over Domi.

Wait another year before you draw conclusions. Right now, we see results but Vegas used the same strategy last year and it's not really working for them right now. You also under-rate Julien who has done great things with not so good players even when he was in Boston.

Montreal was spared severe injuries this year too. One good year does not make up for all the wrong MB did in the past and another owner would have sending him packing. Mtl is filled with gaps in the lineup. There are only 2 top D, the rest are 6 or 7th D at best. There is no sniper to finish plays and the powerplay is dead last. The 4th line is made up of fringe NHLers. He made minor moves to change that again. He keeps retooling the 4th line every year or so.

Even if they make the playoffs, they are looking at a first round exit. Molson will make some extra cash and MB will get a mid first round pick who will not be another KK.

Will end this here and hopefully Suzuki, Poehling, Juulsen, Romanov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Primeau and KK lead this team to greatness in the years to come with a competent GM. Apart from these prospects, there is not much hope.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Thats funny. He's a scrapper, not a skill guy. Still very slow, no matter how hard you argue the point. He won't battle or do better than our entire 4th line. He will not battle harder than Hyman, Brown, or Kadri for that matter. The league has gone away from fighting and is a skill/speed game. The NT's of this game are a dying breed. Even our smallest player Ennis battles harder than him. Hell, I'd argue Marner battles harder than him.

Deal with it.

You think Nate Thompson is a fighter?

What the hell are you talking about? You don't have a clue.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Dwight King had far worse effects on us than a useless 4th rd pick that would probably turn into nothing...the guy was devastatingly bad and single handedly cost us goals

The difference is that Dwight King was a terrible hockey player at the time of the trade, while Nate Thompson is a good bottom-six player. He was averaging third line minutes and was a positive player on this horrible LA team, even though he was routinely deployed against opposing teams’ top lines. Good luck in Montreal, Nate - we’re all rooting for you. Say hi to Muzzin in the playoffs for us.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thats funny. He's a scrapper, not a skill guy. Still very slow, no matter how hard you argue the point. He won't battle or do better than our entire 4th line. He will not battle harder than Hyman, Brown, or Kadri for that matter. The league has gone away from fighting and is a skill/speed game. The NT's of this game are a dying breed. Even our smallest player Ennis battles harder than him. Hell, I'd argue Marner battles harder than him.

Deal with it.

Not even close to correct. Thompson’s an energy player, not a fighter. He’s got more heart than skill and isn’t afraid to go to the hard areas. He doesn’t take shifts off and will sometimes show a surprising amount of skill. You couldn’t be more off in your assessment.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Wait another year before you draw conclusions. Right now, we see results but Vegas used the same strategy last year and it's not really working for them right now. You also under-rate Julien who has done great things with not so good players even when he was in Boston.

Montreal was spared severe injuries this year too. One good year does not make up for all the wrong MB did in the past and another owner would have sending him packing. Mtl is filled with gaps in the lineup. There are only 2 top D, the rest are 6 or 7th D at best. There is no sniper to finish plays and the powerplay is dead last. The 4th line is made up of fringe NHLers. He made minor moves to change that again. He keeps retooling the 4th line every year or so.

Even if they make the playoffs, they are looking at a first round exit. Molson will make some extra cash and MB will get a mid first round pick who will not be another KK.

Will end this here and hopefully Suzuki, Poehling, Juulsen, Romanov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Primeau and KK lead this team to greatness in the years to come with a competent GM. Apart from these prospects, there is not much hope.

Nope, VGK is doing just fine this year. Injuries, not correct either, Weber missed months, Price has been out, Byron for stretches & Shaw similar. Team has had injuries but are much more resilient and compete each night. This year MB & Julien deserve a lot of credit. Let’s face it, people were calling Julien a crap coach last year. I’m not underrating julien but others are overlooking MB. Of course they have holes but they are on the right track and yes there is hope with respect to prospects. People just need to complain. Define all the wrong and put his home runs in as well and it is not the doom and gloom that is repeating every move that is made

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Would be a good series for sure.

Only thing that scares me is if Price were to get hot. If he played like how he played on Saturday night, I’d like the Leafs chance all that more.

For sure, would be a fantastic series. I wouldn't be too disappointed in a habs loss either as long as the games were good

Reactions: Eb

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Kind of like a minor draft day deal, Kings just trying to move up a few spots, in the later rounds, not a bad idea.
Thomspon an adequate depth guy for contender.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Oof. Still salty from the loss I see.

Let’s wait and see. Hopefully we play your team in the first round.

Habs weren’t expected to do much and the leafs time is now. I expect to lose if we faced each other but somehow even with the discrepancy in talent I think it would be a good series win or lose.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Officially the Habs slowest player now. Barely and NHLer and will not contribute much. Didnt cost much though.

According to king fans, Thompson has average speed, so no.
Furthermore, he replaces Agostino/Chaput who are both not good skaters.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I suggested he got lucky with Tatar and Domi because they were doing nothing before they came to MTL. They were easily traded away by their respective clubs. They found their game here and MB passes like a genius now. What if they didn't find their game?

So how does this work exactly? When MB wins a trade, it's luck, but when he loses one, it's incompetence?

Then he might be the luckiest GM ever. The Domi trade? Luck. The Tatar/Suzuki trade? Luck. The Armia trade? Luck. The Reilly trade? Luck. The Kulak trade? Luck. The Kotkaniemi drafting? Luck. The Danault trade? Luck. The Petry trade and signing? Luck. The Shaw trade? Luck. The Drouin trade? Luck. Weber being better than Subban this year? Luck. Picking Byron off waivers? Luck. Price back at the top of his game on the first year of his contract? Luck. The hiring of Julien, Ducharme, Richardson and Bouchard? Luck.

But he traded away Eller, gave a contract to Desharnais, lost Scherback to waivers and didn't re-sign 40 years old Markov, so i guess he's incompetent. Clearly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad