Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Joel Edmundson signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
When Romanov starts this season Julien will shelter his minutes like he does with most rookies. Suzuki worked his way up from the 4th line wing last year. Having a top four of Weber, Petry, Chariot and Edmundson that can eat up big time minutes against top units. A lot of those names will hopefully help Romanov develop his shot and allow his physical game to shine knowing he's got 4 monsters in front of him as well as shelter his ice time.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Don't like it. Don't care for Edmundson. Given what they paid for him, they clearly like him enough push Mete/Kulak, both of whom I do like, down the lineup.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
When Romanov starts this season Julien will shelter his minutes like he does with most rookies. Suzuki worked his way up from the 4th line wing last year. Having a top four of Weber, Petry, Chariot and Edmundson that can eat up big time minutes against top units. A lot of those names will hopefully help Romanov develop his shot and allow his physical game to shine knowing he's got 4 monsters in front of him as well as shelter his ice time.

Edmundson has played 18 minutes in the regular season and 16 in the playoffs. What implies he will suddenly be capable of playing big minutes?

Giving him the money and the years seems like an issue. Montreal must be gambling that Claude's system will protect him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If you're a Montreal Canadiens fan.

How does seeing a top four defence of Weber, Petry, Chiarot, and Edmundson excite you?

Do you really think that's the top four that should be in front of Price to make a Stanley Cup run?

Or are you just accepting of whatever Bergevin throws at you?

Reactions: Devonator

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I mean fine I guess? Just still doesn't make sense to me as puck moving is what is desperately needed on the back end. I'm going to hold judgement because I'm seeing a lot of the same things people said about Chiarot and that worked out great

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

How does seeing a top four defence of Weber, Petry, Chiarot, and Edmundson excite you?

Do you really think that's the top four that should be in front of Price to make a Stanley Cup run?

I'm not a Habs fan, but Weber, Petry, and Chiarot looked great in the playoffs. That's not a bad top three by any means. Romanov is an absolute gamer and will step up to be that fourth guy soon.

Reactions: Gains

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Funny reading the comments, I remember what HF had to say on the Ben Chiarot signing and this is copy/paste lol. Chiarot has been really good for the Habs.

This is a 3,500,000$ AAV for 4 years. Not a 6,000,000$ AAV lol.

I understand Edmundson is nothing more than a good 3rd pairing dman, but he's serviceable on the PK, block shots, hits and won a cup. He'll ease Romanov's tasks to start as well.

Really okay with that signing. If it doesn't work well, it won't hurt. He'll be exposed at the Seattle Expansion Draft and possibly taken. If he is, Habs will have lost a 5th round pick to Seattle. Not bad.

EDIT: Oh, and Xavier Ouellet was the 3rd pair D for the Habs in their playoffs run. Having Edmundson there won't be an upgrade, I guess. ;)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The latter.
Would you care to elaborate on his play that refutes his underlying stats? What are we missing? People can lean into advanced stats pretty hard, but Edmundson's play mostly matches up with those stats. He's a little erratic, chases guys around, and takes a lot of penalties, and too many turnovers. Maybe he fits better with Montreal in a different defensive scheme, but based on what he's shown thus far, this is not a great deal.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'm not a Habs fan, but Weber, Petry, and Chiarot looked great in the playoffs. That's not a bad top three by any means. Romanov is an absolute gamer and will step up to be that fourth guy soon.

By no means saying it is a bad top four.

I'm asking if that fires anyone up to be a Cup contender.

It's a decent top four if you want to win at least 35 games and maybe win a playoff round.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
When we traded for Chiarot last year... the comments were good 4/5 guy? Same feeling with Edmundson?
I watched nearly every Blues game last several year. Edmundson is solid 3rd pairing D. Not a bad one, and sure if you put him with someone like Parayko he is fine on 2nd pairing, but you would be better not having him there.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
It's a decent contract, can't understand why every couch gm here is so upset about. 3.5mil is little money to meet a need. Also, 4 years, not mad about that.

Real shit term and money is Kevin Hayes signing for 7yr/50mil last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I watched nearly every Blues game last several year. Edmundson is solid 3rd pairing D. Not a bad one, and sure if you put him with someone like Parayko he is fine on 2nd pairing, but you would be better not having him there.

Can he play RD... thought I seen someone say he played with Slavin at times? My hunch tells me this might be a move to have someone to play with the Rookie Romanov on the last pairing.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I think it's an interesting signing. Probably paid a little more but not much to get a deal done a head of free agency. Maybe not in dollars but in the 4th year? Curious to see what Dillon gets and Braun (to a degree) gets. Not sure what the Habs had for options but an upgrade for the d unit.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

The key here you see is they are all team players . You will not find a SELFISH or MEFIRST guy in the group .

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Can he play RD... thought I seen someone say he played with Slavin at times? My hunch tells me this might be a move to have someone to play with the Rookie Romanov on the last pairing.
He can. He played some on right side with Dunn during our Cup run. He is pretty good defensively and wins puck battles. Downside is he makes too many mistakes with the puck and takes too many penalties.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Yes it is . Romanov really likes to hit guys hard coming over the blue line . There will be a lot of retaliation. This is where eddy will be great to have . It’s not a spot for mete . Keep kulak with Petry because they seem to work well . If a good left shot offensive d-man can be found kulak gets replaced

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes it is . Romanov really likes to hit guys hard coming over the blue line . There will be a lot of retaliation. This is where eddy will be great to have . It’s not a spot for mete . Keep kulak with Petry because they seem to work well . If a good left shot offensive d-man can be found kulak gets replaced

Pretty solid 3 pairings if Kulak shows up and plays to his potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He can. He played some on right side with Dunn during our Cup run. He is pretty good defensively and wins puck battles. Downside is he makes too many mistakes with the puck and takes too many penalties.

I think the Habs will get into penalty trouble if the forwards can maintain possession on the offensive end. It's nice to have D like that but when they are pinned in our own end for long periods... that's when penalties happen.

Every one of them are very physical... Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson, Kulak, Romanov. We are both going to hurt you and hurt ourselves being in the box!

Should be interesting to see how this plays out in front of Price. At least he won't be exposed as much as he was last regular season.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
By no means saying it is a bad top four.

I'm asking if that fires anyone up to be a Cup contender.

It's a decent top four if you want to win at least 35 games and maybe win a playoff round.

Habs' top 3 was probably the most efficient in these playoffs. Offense was the issue.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Edmundson has played 18 minutes in the regular season and 16 in the playoffs. What implies he will suddenly be capable of playing big minutes?

Giving him the money and the years seems like an issue. Montreal must be gambling that Claude's system will protect him.

In his four games with Carolina in this year's playoffs, he averaged 23:41 TOI, with one goal and a +4 rating. His average TOI was 3rd best on the team among defencemen, behind only Slavin and Hamilton. He played only a single game against Boston, scoring his lone goal of the playoffs and he was on the ice for 30:33.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but coaches don't usually bench defencemen they put on the ice for over 30 minutes in the previous game. So I'm guessing an injury kept Edmundson out of the lineup.

Last edited:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Morc Bargainbin handcuffs his team with 2 big contracts before UFA begins, where Habs are finally a desirable destination for guys like Hall & Krug, and most teams have an internal cap. And most importantly, the market would probably bring down Edmunson's ask on October 9th...

Big contract? 3.5 is what, 4% of the cap and he will play 18 mins a night. His partner will likely be Romanov or another rook that makes a mil. So they will have a whopping 5 mil into their third pair. And not only are they not handcuffed, they still have one of the better positions going into FA.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
The spot next to Petry his Edmundson's to lose. Recency bias has us a bit excited due to Kulak's very good playoffs but we've been to this dance before. Season will start and he'll (Kulak) be a 6/7 defenseman over the long term.

Ultimately this isn't the significant addition we wanted, but I also wouldn't say we are only getting incrementally better either. If this gives Petry a consistent partner than our defense will be that much better for it. Could see us losing him to Seattle in a year and hopefully Romonov is ready to step into his place. If not he replaces Chiarot the year after.

Barring a trade, Romonov or more likely Mete will move to the right side on the 3rd pair. All around, I'm not unhappy with this.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Big contract? 3.5 is what, 4% of the cap and he will play 18 mins a night. His partner will likely be Romanov or another rook that makes a mil. So they will have a whopping 5 mil into their third pair. And not only are they not handcuffed, they still have one of the better positions going into FA.

Which is a big contract to at least 17 teams in the league now. Serviceable players might get traded for a song.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad