Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Joel Edmundson signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I was expecting like 2 million. Did I missed something?

First they're willing to pay Jake Allen's full salary to be a backup, now this for a 3rd pair guy?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Well I'd say he fit with the other defenceman winning around 3,5 M in the league

upload_2020-9-16_20-3-24.png

Some of them are better (Sanheim, Zadorov, Montour, Hamonic, Nurse, Butcher, Dillon) some of them are worse (Hainsey, Gudbransson, Scandella, Johnson, Gudas). If he can be as good as Chiarot, Braun, Dillon it's a decent enough deal.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
And to add,

Wednesday. Here's a look at his career in numbers.
20 - In his first year with the Hurricanes this past season, Edmundson set a new career high in points with 20. His 13 assists in 2019-20 were also a personal best, and his seven goals matched the career high he had reached in 2017-18 with the St. Louis Blues.
337 - The 27-year-old boasts 337 games of NHL experience with the Blues and Hurricanes. Over that five-season span, Edmundson has amassed 20 goals and 52 assists for 72 career points to go along with a plus-25 differential, 649 hits, and 504 blocked shots while averaging 18:15 of ice time.
42 - Edmundson owns a Stanley Cup ring after capturing the League title with the Blues in 2019. The native of Brandon, MB led all St. Louis defensemen in hits during their Cup run with 42, and also contributed seven points (1G, 6A) in 22 contests to help the Blues to their first-ever title.
53 - Speaking of the playoffs, Edmundson has 53 games of postseason experience on his NHL resume, notching six goals for 15 points, a plus-10 differential, 103 hits, and 73 blocked shots in 16:20 of average ice time.
46 - Edmundson was the Blues' second-round pick (46th overall) at the 2011 NHL Draft.
On top of that it take him long to go after Manson picking up for a teammate

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Hopefully this didn't set the market for similar caliber of players (DeMelo, Gudas ect ect).
If so, probably better of just forking up a bit more cash for guys like Brodie, Tanev ect ect.
Better value IMO

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Well I'd say he fit with the other defenceman winning around 3,5 M in the league

View attachment 367767
Some of them are better (Sanheim, Zadorov, Montour, Hamonic, Nurse, Butcher, Dillon) some of them are worse (Hainsey, Gudbransson, Scandella, Johnson, Gudas). If he can be as good as Chiarot, Braun, Dillon it's a decent enough deal.

His salary is on par with other #4/#5 Ds around the league. People are just overreacting because A) It's the Habs. B) People here are batshit insane about advanced stats.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Good deal imo. The defense is pretty much set for the next few years now. Bergevin locked down good goaltending for next year.

I expect with the remaining 10mill in cap he will upgrade the offense now. Also still have to decide on Domi. If dealt it’ll be interesting on a return as the main thing most Habs fans on here were stating upgrade on the LD. Edmundson signing kind of eliminates that.

I’m really interested in what Bergevin will be up to. Allen and Edmundson signings are great starts and just with those two moves the Habs have started the climb now in the right direction. Which at the mid season point most Habs fans felt there was literally no direction for the team as they were sellers at the deadline. I really think the playoffs showed Bergevin a lot more of the team and the youth. It’s not even October 9th(Free Agency) yet and he’s got me excited for about the future and next season which hasn’t been the case for a bit.

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
On Carolina defence( aka the best defence in the NHL):

2nd in goal
4th in pts
3rd for pts at even strengh
3rd in +-
4th in icetime
4th for shots on net
1st for hits
2nd in block shots

But I guess HF posters are right, he's an awful bottom pairing defenceman......
Finished top 50 in defense scoring, is big and physical, I love the signing.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
they must see something like they saw in chiarot. He just turned 27 and has some upside. They probably felt other teams would be in on a mid-pairing LD - with size. Maybe an upgrade on Kulak. No one is under 6'3 in their top 4 and with the Allen signing Bergevin is finally learning to build through D and C - ass opposed to on the wing and in nets (too late there)
Yeah, Edmundson is not too old and he has been a decent soldier in the past when playing in a proper role and a proper system, so I can see him being worth the contract if things go well.

But even in that best case scenario he's still a weak puck mover and play maker, things that Habs are sorely missing on the blueline.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
MB when us Habs fans begged you to spend to the cap this year it’s not really what we had in mind

300% upgrade over having Ouellet in the line up but we still have nobody to score goals or with size on the wings and no PMD besides Petry

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
As it sits right now I could see the pairs being
Chariot Weber
Kulak Petry
Edmundson Romanov

romanov has a knack for blowing guys up coming over the blue line . Will need a bit of protection for the young lad when the retaliation starts . An upgrade for a left shot power play quarterback will remove kulak from this group . Perhaps from a team desperate to unload a bit of salary .

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Mtl are going to protect only 3 defenceman with the draft ;

Weber
Petry---he will get sign
Chariot

Seattle might really be intetested on a good number 4 defenceman if he have a good season, don't you think ?

If he gets claimed then it’s no harm no foul. Get a solid year out of him and don’t lose anyone else to expansion. We’ll see how the year goes

Reactions: w e l o s t b o y s

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

View attachment 367767

Scandella is significantly better at hockey than Joel Edmundson is.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I wanna say one year to long, but I guess that helped lower the hit. Good for MB for being active and doing what he can to improve his team

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
And to add,

Wednesday. Here's a look at his career in numbers.
20 - In his first year with the Hurricanes this past season, Edmundson set a new career high in points with 20. His 13 assists in 2019-20 were also a personal best, and his seven goals matched the career high he had reached in 2017-18 with the St. Louis Blues.
337 - The 27-year-old boasts 337 games of NHL experience with the Blues and Hurricanes. Over that five-season span, Edmundson has amassed 20 goals and 52 assists for 72 career points to go along with a plus-25 differential, 649 hits, and 504 blocked shots while averaging 18:15 of ice time.
42 - Edmundson owns a Stanley Cup ring after capturing the League title with the Blues in 2019. The native of Brandon, MB led all St. Louis defensemen in hits during their Cup run with 42, and also contributed seven points (1G, 6A) in 22 contests to help the Blues to their first-ever title.
53 - Speaking of the playoffs, Edmundson has 53 games of postseason experience on his NHL resume, notching six goals for 15 points, a plus-10 differential, 103 hits, and 73 blocked shots in 16:20 of average ice time.
46 - Edmundson was the Blues' second-round pick (46th overall) at the 2011 NHL Draft.

His time on ice drops by two full minutes in the playoffs? Concerning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad