Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Joel Edmundson signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
On Carolina defence( aka the best defence in the NHL):

2nd in goal
4th in pts
3rd for pts at even strengh
3rd in +-
4th in icetime
4th for shots on net
1st for hits
2nd in block shots

But I guess HF posters are right, he's an awful bottom pairing defenceman......
And to add,

Wednesday. Here's a look at his career in numbers.
20 - In his first year with the Hurricanes this past season, Edmundson set a new career high in points with 20. His 13 assists in 2019-20 were also a personal best, and his seven goals matched the career high he had reached in 2017-18 with the St. Louis Blues.
337 - The 27-year-old boasts 337 games of NHL experience with the Blues and Hurricanes. Over that five-season span, Edmundson has amassed 20 goals and 52 assists for 72 career points to go along with a plus-25 differential, 649 hits, and 504 blocked shots while averaging 18:15 of ice time.
42 - Edmundson owns a Stanley Cup ring after capturing the League title with the Blues in 2019. The native of Brandon, MB led all St. Louis defensemen in hits during their Cup run with 42, and also contributed seven points (1G, 6A) in 22 contests to help the Blues to their first-ever title.
53 - Speaking of the playoffs, Edmundson has 53 games of postseason experience on his NHL resume, notching six goals for 15 points, a plus-10 differential, 103 hits, and 73 blocked shots in 16:20 of average ice time.
46 - Edmundson was the Blues' second-round pick (46th overall) at the 2011 NHL Draft.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He’s going to make the team better than they were last year there’s no doubt about that. However, I feel that they could have allocated their cap in a better way. Romanov should easily pass Edmundson within 12 months and now you’re stuck with 3.5M on the bottom pair. I think he will be very good on the third pair and still get a good amount of minutes on the PK, but when it comes time for the kids to get a raise BurgerVan is going to look at this signing and think maybe he should gotta a guy with two years term

Reactions: dukeofjive

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I wonder why Habs went so hard after him. For such a whatever player, seems a little weird. You'd think a similar type of player would've been available at some point for cheaper. And it's not like the Habs needed another weak puck moving and play making defender anyway. It's probably not going to be quite another Alzner but still, I'm not sure if this is the best use of money.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
On Carolina defence( aka the best defence in the NHL):

2nd in goal
4th in pts
3rd for pts at even strengh
3rd in +-
4th in icetime
4th for shots on net
1st for hits
2nd in block shots

But I guess HF posters are right, he's an awful bottom pairing defenceman......
Carolina didn't have the best defense in the NHL. Far from that. They were average at best. Without Edmundson dragging down his teammates like he did, they might have been top half, though.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
He’s going to make the team better than they were last year there’s no doubt about that. However, I feel that they could have allocated their cap in a better way. Romanov should easily pass Edmundson within 12 months and now you’re stuck with 3.5M on the bottom pair. I think he will be very good on the third pair and still get a good amount of minutes on the PK, but when it comes time for the kids to get a raise BurgerVan is going to look at this signing and think maybe he should gotta a guy with two years term

Mtl are going to protect only 3 defenceman with the draft ;

Weber
Petry---he will get sign
Chariot

Seattle might really be intetested on a good number 4 defenceman if he have a good season, don't you think ?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
MTL struggles to attract free agent and reach the cap, better have a slightly overpaid 5th D and bumping players like Mete down than having players like Folin, Ouellet or Fleury in your 7D group next season. Factoring MTL tax rate I think it is pretty fair net salary for Edmundson anyway.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Carolina didn't have the best defense in the NHL. Far from that. They were average at best. Without Edmundson dragging down his teammates like he did, they might have been top half, though.

So you're telling me that HF posters got something wrong?
I heard all the time that Carolina top6 defenceman are what's best in the NHL.

I'm in shock mate, I was using HF as my bible, all those years......lost.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I wonder why Habs went so hard after him. For such a whatever player, seems a little weird. You'd think a similar type of player would've been available at some point for cheaper. And it's not like the Habs needed another weak puck moving and play making defender anyway. It's probably not going to be quite another Alzner but still, I'm not sure if this is the best use of money.
they must see something like they saw in chiarot. He just turned 27 and has some upside. They probably felt other teams would be in on a mid-pairing LD - with size. Maybe an upgrade on Kulak. No one is under 6'3 in their top 4 and with the Allen signing Bergevin is finally learning to build through D and C - as opposed to on the wing and in nets (too late there)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->