Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Joel Edmundson signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Morc Bargainbin handcuffs his team with 2 big contracts before UFA begins, where Habs are finally a desirable destination for guys like Hall & Krug, and most teams have an internal cap. And most importantly, the market would probably bring down Edmunson's ask on October 9th...
Taylor Hall wouldn't even spit on the Habs for 8 million and Krug was likely never coming here unless we offer over 8 million. Habs also have 9.5 available with only Domi needing a somewhat big contract. I also don't see everyone coming back for next year.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It’s a year too long and about 500K too much IMO. Basically this tells me MB believes that Chiarot is a first pairing LHD. Question is if he is gonna have Romanov in Laval playing 20+ mins a night.

Chiarot Weber
Edmundson Petry
Kulak Juulsen

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Contract is a year too long but the cap hit is what I expected. I am guessing Edmundson is insurance just in case Romanov doesn't work out in the NHL and needs to be sent down to the AHL. Hopefully MB's next move is to find some top 6 forwards with size and we should be set for the season. Domi/Danault are likely to be moved to fix our winger problem.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
This is garbage right? Edmundson was a replacement level player I thought. MB probably thinks he got great value out of a 5th rounder, meanwhile he's tanking his team's cap ahead of a crucial FA.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I would have expected this contract in a normal year, but seeing this contract handed out with the flat cap was a little surprising.

Have we seen a contract yet that has suggested COVID is flattening contracts? Brodin certainly wasn't affected, and this is pretty rich for Edmundson.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
How is he a quality bottom pairing D? He was horrible last season.
Because he's good on the PK, decent skater, give him a decent transition partner and he'll be fine, he's physical, blocks alot of shot. like i said i'm not a fan of the term but he brings stability. I will wait and see him play in our system before commenting, Chiarot was avertissed the same and came out good, Petry was bashed when acquired and he's been playing high level hockey.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Because he's good on the PK, decent skater, give him a decent transition partner and he'll be fine, he's physical, blocks alot of shot. like i said i'm not a fan of the term but he brings stability. I will wait and see him play in our system before commenting, Chiarot was avertissed the same and came out good, Petry was bashed when acquired and he's been playing high level hockey.

There's literally nothing that supports this, and Chiarot had quality defensive numbers prior to his signing.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I would find it f***ing hilarious if MB is just spending cap space in front of Danault/Domi sending a message to both of them that hes serious about whatever it is he told him he would do. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Pretty much the same contract as Chiarot last year, so I guess it's okay. I don't love the 4-year term, but Edmunson is a serviceable defenseman that will add depth and allow us to use Mete/Kulak in a platoon role as well as stick Ouellet to the AHL, so I'm fine with it. If he performs the same as Chiarot did last year and in the play-ins we'll be in business.

It's not a great contract, but it's far from the Alzner catastrophe that some uninformed posters think it is.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
That left is what people think the Leafs' right is.

Not at all. The leafs RD are Ceci-Barrie-Holl, and Ceci and Barrie sucks.

The habs LD are Chariot - Romanov - Edmundson.
Chariot was very solid for the habs the past season, Romanov is one of the top defenseman prospect in the league, and Edmundson is seen to be a #4 or solid#5.

Romanov and Edmundson have yet to play for the habs, so it remains to be seen how good they are, but on paper the habs LD looks way better than the leafs RD.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Pretty much the same contract as Chiarot last year, so I guess it's okay. I don't love the 4-year term, but Edmunson is a serviceable defenseman that will add depth and allow us to use Mete/Kulak in a platoon role as well as stick Ouellet to the AHL, so I'm fine with it. If he performs the same as Chiarot did last year and in the play-ins we'll be in business.

It's not a great contract, but it's far from the Alzner catastrophe that some uninformed posters think it is.
I think one of Mete/Kulak will be traded to give room for Fluery.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

If the best thing you can say about a contract is that "at least it's not Alzner", I think people have a right to sound off on it.

Maybe Joel can change his ways in Montreal, who knows. Chariot and Petry both improved in Montreal.

If it's the Joel Edmundson of the Hurricanes and Blues, there is plenty of reason to dislike the aav and the term.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Montreal immediately putting ~$8 mil in cap space for players like Edmundson and Allen seems...not great? It's not terrible but they can get back up goalies and replacement level defensemen for much cheaper and save the space for a big dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->