Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Joel Edmundson signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Tricky part with the Habs is can the kids rise while Weber and Price are still effective. Not worried about Price as much as Weber. He's got 3 more years left from 35-37 before his actual salary drops to $1M heading into his age 38 season.

Some Habs fans want a bigger move to futures and rebuild but also think Primeau will replace Price and we can easily replace Weber. I don't see it that way. I see the Habs trying to win and move up in that 3 year span and then maybe after that, we have another retool/reset. Possibly trade Price in 3+ years when he has less term left and the salary cap is much higher than today. Easier to move for value then if we retain about $2M.

Cap in 23/24 will be over $90M IMO. Teams in cap hell are going to have to try to survive in the next 2/3 years.
I think MTL was more in a retool,grab some higher picks and blend them in to the heart of the actual team...I think they will look to make some headway for next season and become a solid playoff team that could make a good run...

And after guys like Weber and Price are gone ,I completely agree they will likely look to rebuild..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think MTL was more in a retool,grab some higher picks and blend them in to the heart of the actual team...I think they will look to make some headway for next season and become a solid playoff team that could make a good run...

And after guys like Weber and Price are gone ,I completely agree they will likely look to rebuild..

28 picks with 16 top 100 picks over the last 3 drafts and another 12 picks coming in the next draft (16th OA and 7 picks from 47-125 range). That's an average of 10 picks per round in the last 3 drafts plus the next one. And we have more picks on top of all our own picks in drafts after that. We can afford to use some of these futures to get players now IMO. Especially considering that we might not be able to sign all that talent (if we hit) with the 50 contract limit. Not many thinking about that

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Building it this way is just logical,when we took you guys out ...How do you think we did it lol....You guys had the puck 3/4 of the game,we would just smoke anyone that came close to the net ...Rope a dope all the way...

With Price who is far better than Andy ever was,its a complete no brainer
You barely beat a Habs team that traded away all there depth at the dead line. We were icing freaking ahlers and you guys were being out played :laugh:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As a reference. 3.5M in 2020 is like 1,675M in 2005. As a reference, relatively, it's a lesser portion of the cap than what the Canadiens signed Dandenault for in 2005.

Oof I did not actually run the numbers but that should open some eyes.

Like I said on the Habs board, I'm not expecting the moon but he's at LEAST a legit NHLer, unlike Mete and Kulak

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Oof I did not actually run the numbers but that should open some eyes.

Like I said on the Habs board, I'm not expecting the moon but he's at LEAST a legit NHLer, unlike Mete and Kulak
Think he is better suited as a speedy role defender right now,he may grow some when sheltered a little more

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Think he is better suited as a speedy role defender right now,he may grow some when sheltered a little more

He's still young enough that I'd try him in the AHL, but with 3 full years behind him he probably needs to go through waivers unfortunately?

You're right though, we were overplaying him so he might find himself in a better role now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad