Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Joel Edmundson signs with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's a $15 million dollar 4 year deal for a 27 year old 4/5 dman with 337 games under his belt coming off a career high season playing on a very crowded Hurricanes blueline. I'm not sure what some of you are expecting? These players don't play for free.

Reactions: abo9 and Gamimenos

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
can anyone quickly confirm if MTL has the most expensive back end in the league? Meaning D/G?
i'm counting them @ $42.5m just on D and G... that has to be #1 in the league no?

They do, but they are also bottom 5 in the most expensive front end

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Alzner Part II?

I wish he's good.

Chiarot - Weber
Edmunson - Petry
Romanov - Kulak/Fleury

Isn't bad on paper.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It should be
Chariot Weber
Kulak Petry
Edmunson Romanov

Romanov is comfortable on the right side . Edmunson is there for the guys who jump Romanov after he crushes someone. Kulak has chemistry with Petry . If a left shot pp quarterback is found he replaces kulak . Kulak then becomes the 7th which in itself is decent depth .

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Edmundson has played 18 minutes in the regular season and 16 in the playoffs. What implies he will suddenly be capable of playing big minutes?

Giving him the money and the years seems like an issue. Montreal must be gambling that Claude's system will protect him.

18 minutes without stepping on the ice for power plays is a lot of ice time...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It should be
Chariot Weber
Kulak Petry
Edmunson Romanov

Romanov is comfortable on the right side . Edmunson is there for the guys who jump Romanov after he crushes someone. Kulak has chemistry with Petry . If a left shot pp quarterback is found he replaces kulak . Kulak then becomes the 7th which in itself is decent depth .

Agreed. Balance is better and Romanov needs to play with a more reliable partner on the last pairing. I see various options the Habs can and I'm sure will try with Romanov and Edmundson added to the mix. But that D pairings you listed is the first one I try

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
18 minutes without stepping on the ice for power plays is a lot of ice time...

Also might help us limit ice time for Weber and Petry playing both PP and PK. Chiarot, Edmundson, Romanov can take some PK time away

Not many looked into the context but this past year, our D was exhausted from our forwards turning the puck over before the blue line and the puck stayed in. I noticed a different strategy in the playoffs. They ensured the puck got out before they tried to be creative with it

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Very large blueline,in front of Price ....They are going to be very hard to score on,think their coach has an idea in mind for how they are going to play

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very large blueline,in front of Price ....They are going to be very hard to score on,think their coach has an idea in mind for how they are going to play

The Trident has been expanded with Edmundson and Romanov mixed in. We might get in penalty trouble if we are too physical but yeah... Nobody is going to get in our end without paying a price

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Trident has been expanded with Edmundson and Romanov mixed in
Building it this way is just logical,when we took you guys out ...How do you think we did it lol....You guys had the puck 3/4 of the game,we would just smoke anyone that came close to the net ...Rope a dope all the way...

With Price who is far better than Andy ever was,its a complete no brainer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Building it this way is just logical,when we took you guys out ...How do you think we did it lol....You guys had the puck 3/4 of the game,we would just smoke anyone that came close to the net ...Rope a dope all the way...

With Price who is far better than Andy ever was,its a complete no brainer

Chiarot and Edmundson are bridges to sheltering Romanov and buying time for Norlinder, Harris, Struble. I'm fine with it

Reactions: Tim Wallach

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Chiarot and Edmundson are bridges to sheltering Romanov and buying time for Norlinder, Harris, Struble. I'm fine with it
Yep add in some very quick strike players and yeah I can see that team making the playoffs...Your coach knows what he is doing,and is helping your GM put the right players into the real strength of the team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep add in some very quick strike players and yeah I can see that team making the playoffs...Your coach knows what he is doing,and is helping your GM put the right players into the real strength of the team

The only flaw with our strategy of having a top 5 or top 10 team D in front of Price is we lack snipers when we get our scoring chances. Aside from Gallagher, our forwards are pass happy which is annoying!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The only flaw with our strategy of having a top 5 or top 10 team D in front of Price is we lack snipers when we get our scoring chances. Aside from Gallagher, our forwards are pass happy which is annoying!
Adding Allen was also a very solid move,give you an actual goalie to spell Price...As for the offense,it should come as the kids learn more...At least they way team is headed you guys give yourself a chance to win every night, even if it may not be the most exciting brand of hockey to watch for awhile

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It's a $15 million dollar 4 year deal for a 27 year old 4/5 dman with 337 games under his belt coming off a career high season playing on a very crowded Hurricanes blueline. I'm not sure what some of you are expecting? These players don't play for free.

It's like people are still in 2005 thinking $3.5M is huge money. Yeah it hurts for a guy like Alzner who plays in the minor, but any legit D that's not on ELC will be paid that or more lol

Reactions: 1909

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Adding Allen was also a very solid move,give you an actual goalie to spell Price...As for the offense,it should come as the kids learn more...At least they way team is headed you guys give yourself a chance to win every night, even if it may not be the most exciting brand of hockey to watch for awhile

Don't think we are done yet. Bergevin has 2 years in term left and I think he makes a move for a winger

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Don't think we are done yet. Bergevin has 2 years in term left and I think he makes a move for a winger
Hey for sure,MTL will spend ...At least with Juilen it should be the right way this time...He obviously has a say,which is good TBH

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hey for sure,MTL will spend ...At least with Juilen it should be the right way this time...He obviously has a say,which is good TBH

Tricky part with the Habs is can the kids rise while Weber and Price are still effective. Not worried about Price as much as Weber. He's got 3 more years left from 35-37 before his actual salary drops to $1M heading into his age 38 season.

Some Habs fans want a bigger move to futures and rebuild but also think Primeau will replace Price and we can easily replace Weber. I don't see it that way. I see the Habs trying to win and move up in that 3 year span and then maybe after that, we have another retool/reset. Possibly trade Price in 3+ years when he has less term left and the salary cap is much higher than today. Easier to move for value then if we retain about $2M.

Cap in 23/24 will be over $90M IMO. Teams in cap hell are going to have to try to survive in the next 2/3 years.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's like people are still in 2005 thinking $3.5M is huge money. Yeah it hurts for a guy like Alzner who plays in the minor, but any legit D that's not on ELC will be paid that or more lol

As a reference. 3.5M in 2020 is like 1,675M in 2005. As a reference, relatively, it's a lesser portion of the cap than what the Canadiens signed Dandenault for in 2005.

Reactions: abo9

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Doesn't seem like a bad deal, for the Habs. But seems kinda confusing that they'd sign Edmunson to a deal like that...when they already have Chiarot, who is kinda the found money version of that same sort of player and role. How many of those sorta guys can you really keep in the lineup playing minutes, and for how long, if you really want to start to improve long-term?

No, Chiarot is demonstrating he can be a top 3 D man. Remains to be seen if this year can be replicated or improved but Chiarot is a better defenceman than Winnipeg allowed him to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad