I would love to see Duncan Keith play with Weber for the next 3 years in MTL

HABS : Brett Kulak + #39 + #61 Draft 2020
for
Hawks : Duncan Keith

Keith-Weber
Chariot-Petry
Romanov/Mete-Fleury/Juulsen

That could be a decent veteran defense for the next 3 years

Keith turns 37 next season and has 3 more years in term left (37-39). I rather trade for Leddy to be honest. Less term left and younger.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

for

Keith-Weber
Chariot-Petry

Trade like that Habs be collecting quite the grey beard defense. Already with Petry and Weber.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Keith turns 37 next season and has 3 more years in term left (37-39). I rather trade for Leddy to be honest. Less term left and younger.

But Keith is still way better than Leddy and 3 years is not that bad. If the cost is about the same, i prefer Keith.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Trade like that Habs be collecting quite the grey beard defense. Already with Petry and Weber.
a mix of veteran and young talent
Veteran : Weber-Keith-Petry (3 pretty decent defense even if they are getting older)
Youngster : Mete-Juulsen-Romanov-Fleury even Chariot

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But Keith is still way better than Leddy and 3 years is not that bad. If the cost is about the same, i prefer Keith.

I prefer the better skater and puck mover in Leddy. What is the difference between a 37 year old Keith and a 29 year old Leddy? I think Keith is better at both ends but Leddy has move value moving the puck. Especially on our PP in zone entries. Keith might be the smarter player though.

Depends on who wants to retain more. Islanders or Blackhawks. Doubt the Blackhawks trade Keith to be honest. He has a NMC so does he want to come to Montreal to play with Weber? Not so sure about that.

Islanders have to move Leddy. He's the obvious one. If they are willing to retain $1M, I'd give them the Blues 2nd and the 4th's from the Jets and Ducks. If they say no, I let them try other things and they might circle back.

Another thing to note with Leddy is his salary actual goes up in the next two years. $5.5M cap hit vs $6.5M and $7M actual money. He has clearly slipped back in the last two years so I think he can be acquired for cheap but not so sure I would take that whole contract. Habs have to first explore what it takes to extend Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Petry, and Danault first.

Between Chiarot and Leddy, you can decide who to protect after next season. We would have to send Kulak down to the AHL and no so sure someone picks up his cap hit.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I prefer the better skater and puck mover in Leddy. What is the difference between a 37 year old Keith and a 29 year old Leddy? I think Keith is better at both ends but Leddy has move value moving the puck. Especially on our PP in zone entries. Keith might be the smarter player though.

Depends on who wants to retain more. Islanders or Blackhawks. Doubt the Blackhawks trade Keith to be honest. He has a NMC so does he want to come to Montreal to play with Weber? Not so sure about that.

Islanders have to move Leddy. He's the obvious one. If they are willing to retain $1M, I'd give them the Blues 2nd and the 4th's from the Jets and Ducks. If they say no, I let them try other things and they might circle back.

Another thing to note with Leddy is his salary actual goes up in the next two years. $5.5M cap hit vs $6.5M and $7M actual money. He has clearly slipped back in the last two years so I think he can be acquired for cheap but not so sure I would take that whole contract. Habs have to first explore what it takes to extend Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Petry, and Danault first.

Between Chiarot and Leddy, you can decide who to protect after next season. We would have to send Kulak down to the AHL and no so sure someone picks up his cap hit.

I agree 100% Leddy is the best candidate to get traded. Keith ends his career in Chicago imo. I wouldn't be totally against Leddy but for me, it is a patch. I want that spot (top 4 lhd) to be settled long term. If we can't do that then sure, let's try Leddy for 2 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree 100% Leddy is the best candidate to get traded. Keith ends his career in Chicago imo. I wouldn't be totally against Leddy but for me, it is a patch. I want that spot (top 4 lhd) to be settled long term. If we can't do that then sure, let's try Leddy for 2 years.

Leddy and Chiarot can be good bridges to Romanov, Harris, Struble, Norlinder.

Regardless, I would not add any contract until I find out what it takes to extend Domi, Tatar, Gallagher, Danault, Petry. Maybe not all stay, maybe they do stay. But we need to figure that out first. It appears that we can find that out before the draft right?

I'd also ask for $1M - $1.5M of retention on Leddy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
as a leafs fan i would love to see montreal skip the rebuild and go for it with 35+ yr old talent

Keith and Kovalchuk (if we re-sign him) would be the only ones above 35. However, Keith has a NMC and probably wants to stay

- Weber is the same age as Burns and 2 years younger than Giordano
- Price is the same age Rask and 2 years younger than Fleury

Habs are not as old as some say we are. Habs can easily still continue the rebuild through the draft and also add pieces to improve our team in the Price/Weber window. Mark my words... this is what Molson/Bergevin will do. The true rebuild starts after Weber retires in 3 more seasons.

Bergevin's error is not building through the draft till year 4 or his 8 years. But our prospect pool is solid today with both quality and quantity and we have a shit load of more picks in the next few drafts. If we get lucky and get Lafreniere, watch out!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ignoring that Keith has a NMC (and likely wouldn't waive it), I don't think either team does this.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Leddy and Chiarot can be good bridges to Romanov, Harris, Struble, Norlinder.

Regardless, I would not add any contract until I find out what it takes to extend Domi, Tatar, Gallagher, Danault, Petry. Maybe not all stay, maybe they do stay. But we need to figure that out first. It appears that we can find that out before the draft right?

I'd also ask for $1M - $1.5M of retention on Leddy.

Maybe but having Leddy and Chiarot as top 4 LHD should be a plan B or C. First, they are not great top 4 D. They are avarage at best. Second, what if those rookies don't step up? We will be mediocre for another 5-6 years, maybe more? I think those kids can be good, really good. But personaly, i think except for Romanov, they are long shots at being effective top 4 D. And we can't do with them what we did with Mete. The top pair lhd must be stabilized to give the kids proper time and environment to develop.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe but having Leddy and Chiarot as top 4 LHD should be a plan B or C. First, they are not great top 4 D. They are avarage at best. Second, what if those rookies don't step up? We will be mediocre for another 5-6 years, maybe more? I think those kids can be good, really good. But personaly, i think except for Romanov, they are long shots at being effective top 4 D. And we can't do with them what we did with Mete. The top pair lhd must be stabilized to give the kids proper time and environment to develop.

Plan A is what? Keith? That would not be my plan A.

It's OK if you have average LD when you have well above average RD. Plus Leddy is a great puck mover and we need his puck management and zone entries on our PP. He fits in more ways than you might think. Leddy also has struggled without Boychuck and when the Islanders put them back together, they did well. Weber is a huge upgrade on Boychuck. I think Leddy does well in Montreal.

Habs found one solid LD in Chiarot. Find another one on the opposite end (skating/puck moving) vs Chiarot and insert Romanov with Juulsen. Our D changes drastically IMO. Not dead set against Keith but man... acquiring him for his age 37-39 seasons? Risky. Don't think he waives though.

Brodin the other option. We can wait to see if they extend him this off season. If they don't, maybe he gets moved at the deadline and the price is cheaper than sign/trade today.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Keith has a NMC and he's not gonna waive it for Montreal
Why not ? the guy as been playing for one team his entire hockey life maybe he could be tempted to come on Canada soil to play with his buddy Weber ;-)

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Plan A is what? Keith? That would not be my plan A.

It's OK if you have average LD when you have well above average RD. Plus Leddy is a great puck mover and we need his puck management and zone entries on our PP. He fits in more ways than you might think. Leddy also has struggled without Boychuck and when the Islanders put them back together, they did well. Weber is a huge upgrade on Boychuck. I think Leddy does well in Montreal.

Habs found one solid LD in Chiarot. Find another one on the opposite end (skating/puck moving) vs Chiarot and insert Romanov with Juulsen. Our D changes drastically IMO. Not dead set against Keith but man... acquiring him for his age 37-39 seasons? Risky. Don't think he waives though.

Brodin the other option. We can wait to see if they extend him this off season. If they don't, maybe he gets moved at the deadline and the price is cheaper than sign/trade today.

No keith is a plan B or C like Leddy. both are average top 4 D and are short term fix. I'm tired of that. We need to fix that now.

Guys like Brodin or Lindell should be plan A. Sure shot, defensively effective and puck moving top 4 lhd that can play 22-25 minutes a game. We now have the pieces ty acquire them without emptying the farm. Do it, case closed for 7 years. And if the young guns are that good, it is case closed for 15 years.

I like Chiarot and i think fits well as a middle pairing guy before Romanov take is place in two years. His contract is great for what he brings. But let's not kid ourselves, he is an average top 4.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

for

Keith-Weber
Chariot-Petry

are you f***ing crazy? habs say no. on behalf of all hab fans, please stop making ludicrous proposals

Reactions: viceroy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Have you considered resigning Markov lol?

Ship has sailed for the General. He should have hired an agent and be more open to a base plus performance contract in the summer of 17 (like Chara has done with the Bruins). That was Bergevin's low point and it was a very very bad off season for us.

Pretty sure Markov has regrets. Bergevin as well cause he signed Alzner

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Ship has sailed for the General. He should have hired an agent and be more open to a base plus performance contract in the summer of 17 (like Chara has done with the Bruins). That was Bergevin's low point and it was a very very bad off season for us.

Pretty sure Markov has regrets. Bergevin as well cause he signed Alzner

I was just joking fam. Just seemed like a good line in the MTL gets old PMD

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad