Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Why would anyone crap on this move. MB still has to ice a roster. With the injuries, he had to sign someone as our AHL roster is also depleted. There is no downside to this move.
The issue is there is no upside. he unfortunately is not the cure for the illness

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Price wanting to contend is NOT the same thing as you claiming that I said the moves make the team into a contender.

YOU extrapolated what you wanted to read INTO my post.

Grammer is a straw argument which is not going to pull your foot out of your mouth.

So it appears that you are either uselessly argumentive or not very bright. Either way....waste of my time.

Yep

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
why don't we see more of that? Can't more teams figure out how to "mutually terminate" contracts?
It does happen on a semi-regular basis, especially with players signed from European leagues on 2-way contracts during the off-season who want to go back to Europe if they're sent to the minors.

Just have a quick look at the "Waivers" thread.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No, it’s spelled Ковальчук
So... I'm right? Kovalchuk is the latin alphabet version of that. That's pretty straightforward. It gets confusing with people like me whose names start with J. My old Russian visa has my name spelled with "dzh" in place of "j".

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
So... I'm right? Kovalchuk is the latin alphabet version of that. That's pretty straightforward. It gets confusing with people like me whose names start with J. My old Russian visa has my name spelled with "dzh" in place of "j".

i was just joking around, but if we want to discuss language, technically theres no wrong or right answer. Why? There’s no one standard for transcribing Cyrillic into Latin alphabet.

The biggest example is Ё in Cyrillic. It is either transcribed as either “e” or “yo” depending on the person that does the transcribing. So, two big examples in hockey are Фёдоров (Fedorov) and Семён (Semyon). If you were to write it as Fyodorov and Semen (lol), you wouldnt be wrong.

Taking your case for example, the way j is pronounced in english is approximately equivalent to the letter ж. Transcribing it into latin, you’ll most often see it as “zh”. But it’s also possible you’ll see it as j or even dzh which all approximately sound the same in english (there’s one very famous georgian whose Ж is popularly transcribed as dzh).

It’s pretty confusing. I mean the NHL doesnt even stick to one standard when they transcribe Cyrillic! I’d personally spell it as Kovalchuk which is the common version, but Kovalchuck is not exactly “wrong” either because, in the end, an English person is gonna pronounce both versions the same regardless. The goal of transcription is to transcribe the foreign language in such a way that the person can approximately sound it out.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

two way deal, 700k NHL and 70k AHL

What happened in LA, exactly? Did he suck that bad, or did something happen behind the scenes that made both parties cancel the contract ?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
What happened in LA, exactly? Did he suck that bad, or did something happen behind the scenes that made both parties cancel the contract ?

he was a great teammate and all the guys really liked him. the problem was the team sucked and couldn't get him the puck to save his life. He wasn't the best defensively, but neither was the team. then WILLIE d was brought in to coach, and pretty much benched him. This year is played ok, but still there wasn't a fit and they decided to go younger. He was a total pro about it, and both parties moved on. If you guy can pass with beer league accuracy on the pp, he'll score from the dot.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
he was a great teammate and all the guys really liked him. the problem was the team sucked and couldn't get him the puck to save his life. He wasn't the best defensively, but neither was the team. then WILLIE d was brought in to coach, and pretty much benched him. This year is played ok, but still there wasn't a fit and they decided to go younger. He was a total pro about it, and both parties moved on. If you guy can pass with beer league accuracy on the pp, he'll score from the dot.

That's what i thought - if he can compete on the PP and play 3rd line minutes, thats good enough for me. Anything more is candy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->