Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Canadiens sign Alexander Romanov to ELC (3 years, $894,167 AAV)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Why did they sign him now if he's ineligible to play and it burns a year of contract? Or was it a negotiating tactic by him to get more freedom?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Why did they sign him now if he's ineligible to play and it burns a year of contract? Or was it a negotiating tactic by him to get more freedom?

Although he can't play, the NHL agreed to let Romanov join the team and practice with them. So they thought that it would help him familiarize himself with the team, the teammates, and staff. And next year, when it gets started again, he will already be familiar. It won't be like starting from scratch.

Bergevin explained it that usually a player's second camp is night and day from their first camp. So they're hoping the whole night and day comparison will be within a few months and not an entire year.

Also, he will get one year of his contract just to practice, so that is also a sign of good faith by the organization. This way, he can sign his next contract in two years instead of three. But from the organization's POV, he will not become a UFA sooner. So he will be an RFA and under team control the same as if he signed his contract for next year.

Reactions: jetsforever

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Great prospect, I am quite interested to see how his game will translate to the NHL. I have really enjoyed watching him at the WJC the past 2 years.

Should translate well based on how his KHL team was grooming him. There was lots of conversations about his lack of offense playing KHL and how he showed offensive ability at the WJC for two years in a row. He said his coach wanted him to learn how to play D before he focuses on offense.

Habs can't thank that KHL team enough on how they developed him. I tried to be picky, very picky on his games and it's hard to find a flaw. His skating is NHL quality. He has great mobility and gap closure. Solid shot from the point. Great vision/passing ability. And plays physical.

Question is will he take a year or two or will he look dynamic right away.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Should translate well based on how his KHL team was grooming him. There was lots of conversations about his lack of offense playing KHL and how he showed offensive ability at the WJC for two years in a row. He said his coach wanted him to learn how to play D before he focuses on offense.

Habs can't thank that KHL team enough on how they developed him. I tried to be picky, very picky on his games and it's hard to find a flaw. His skating is NHL quality. He has great mobility and gap closure. Solid shot from the point. Great vision/passing ability. And plays physical.

Question is will he take a year or two or will he look dynamic right away.

I would expect him to be a good NHL regular from the get-go, possibly even a bit more than that, but not much more. I don't expect him to bust out of the gate from the beginning and be dominant, defense is a really hard position to play well, and usually requires more time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would expect him to be a good NHL regular from the get-go, possibly even a bit more than that, but not much more. I don't expect him to bust out of the gate from the beginning and be dominant, defense is a really hard position to play well, and usually requires more time.

Hope they play him with Juulsen on the 3rd pairing and shelter him. Putting him with Weber like we did with Mete right away sets up the roller coaster ride. Like how we inserted KK at 18 when we drafted him as a long term prospects a few months before

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
It was predictable that he'd directly go to Toronto after he failed to get his accelerated visa on time. Still awesome to see him in Canada even if only for practices and hanging around with the team.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad