Proposal: MTL - BUF blockbuster

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I know there's a Eichel mega thread, but because this involves way more than just Eichel, I thought it would make more sense to make a thread out of it.

Anyway, I see both the Sabres and the Habs are struggling as of late. There have been rumors that players like Danault, Gallagher, and Weber were really not happy with the coaching lately, and that they contributed to getting Julien fired. Danault also turned down an extension with the Habs as he's not happy to be slotted in a defensive role.

I believe a change of scenery is needed - and I think this goes both ways (as I've read rumors that Eichel isn't too happy either). It helps that Eichel was a Habs fan growing up - so I'm sure he'd be happy to play for the Habs, who desperately need a star forward.

Either way, here is my proposal (the cap hit is practically flush - only 38k change in favor to the Habs). Please don't kill me :/

:habs
Eichel
Hall
Montour
Lazar
Hutton

:sabres
Suzuki
Danault
Tatar
Gallagher
Weber
Mete
Allen
1st 2021 (unprotected)

New Habs line-up:
Drouin - Eichel - Anderson
Hall - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Byron - Lazar - Perry

Romanov - Petry
Chiarot - Montour
Edmundson - Kulak/Fleury

Price/Hutton

New Sabres line-up:
Olofsson - Suzuki - Reinhart
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Reider - Staal - Cozens
Skinner - Eakin - Okposo

Dahlin - Weber
McCabe - Jokiharju
Mete - Miller

Allen/Ullmark

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant see this ,Suzuki is a nice piece as is the 1st for what would be a rebuilding Buffalo...But there isnt enough of these types in this proposal...

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Clearly Sabres need more ufa/rfa's to go full implosion and be worse than expansion caps.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Not one prospect in that deal?
I added Tatar with the thought that he can later be traded for a 1st + possibly a prospect at the Trade Deadline. Danault can also fetch a 1st+ at the Trade Deadline (that is unless he's a good fit in Buffalo, and they'd like to extend him).

There's also an unprotected 1st from the Habs. And Suzuki + Mete are only 21 and 22.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Danault and Tatar (with some retention) can later be traded for a 1st each + possibly a prospect (trade deadline). There's also an unprotected 1st from the Habs. And Suzuki + Mete are only 21 and 22.

You misspelled Romanov.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Habs #1 need - LH PMD...
Montreal gets...no LH PMD...
Montreal moves out...one of only 2 LH PMD...

thumbsdown.gif

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
You misspelled Romanov.
Lol.. That would just be way too lopsided in Buffalo's favor. But I love the Rangers proposal for Eichel that has a whole lot of magic beans (Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Chytil). At least with my proposal the Sabres actually get quality pieces in return, and vets to hopefully right the ship. Going for prospects-only (where you don't know if they'll ever pan out) will burn you eventually. Habs have too many good, but not great, pieces, and with this they get a quality, young 1C they can build around. Buffalo gets multiple pieces that vastly improve their team in all positions.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Why are half of the pieces 30+?
Well, let's look at it both ways.
Buffalo trades Hall (who turns 30 this year) who has been largely ineffective for their team. I see rumors/reports where a 50% retained Hall fetches a 2nd (which I personally don't buy). They trade Montour who they don't like, Lazar who is worthless, and Hutton (35 years old) who is not the best either. In return they get Tatar who is 30 (but just hit 61 points in 68 games last season) who they can flip at Trade Deadline for a 1st (+). Weber is aging like fine wine - people still consider him one of the best (I don't, but some do). Regardless, he's a great vet to have to a rebuilding franchise. Allen just turned 30 and has a 0.929 SV% this season (0.927% last season, and 0.935% in the playoffs).

I know some Hab fans will think it's generally lopsided in Buffalo's favor, but for a star 1C, I think it's what gets it done... I mean, it's either the Habs trade Suzuki + Romanov + whatever it takes to make cap fit for Eichel, or a complete revamp which is what I proposed. Regardless, for Eichel, I'm fine with either or. I'm not afraid to trade Suzuki + Romanov + for Eichel - and this coming from someone who believes in Suzuki.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Only if Buffalo takes Price instead of Allen
If Buffalo wants Price (and Price is willing to move his NMC), I would gladly offer something along the lines of Suzuki + Romanov + Price+ for Eichel. That said, with his recent play... it's tough to want Price lol. We all know what he's capable of (he just recently showed it during the play-ins/playoffs), but still... He sucks this season. And his contract :eek:.

Reactions: VernonForrest

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You could have simplified by specifying:

Sabres get: Habs team + Youppi
Habs get: Sabres team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad