Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I took a day off from posting yesterday, can someone summarize the logic of this trade for me?

If a third rounder is the best available trade for the depreciated Beaulieu, why not hold onto him until three weeks into the season when his value might rise due to injuries throughout the NHL?

I think more of us should try intermittent HF-fasting. Evidence suggests it's good for our mental health.

To your point, the only potential logic is if the Beaulieu move is part of a strategy to make Plekanec the desirable pick by Vegas. Or that this is part-one of a coordinated agreement for a follow-up deal.

On the face of it, I agree it seems like lousy asset management.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I took a day off from posting yesterday, can someone summarize the logic of this trade for me?

If a third rounder is the best available trade for the depreciated Beaulieu, why not hold onto him until three weeks into the season when his value might rise due to injuries throughout the NHL?

Benn needs to be protected, we might lose Nate for nothing( but of course we wouldn't lose any other good prospect like Hudon if that happened) The best part is the pretzel logic of "this guy sucks, barely NHL calibre Dman, off ice issues etc-BUT LV will SURELY take him from us and we get nothing in return. :shakehead

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I think more of us should try intermittent HF-fasting. Evidence suggests it's good for our mental health.

To your point, the only potential logic is if the Beaulieu move is part of a strategy to make Plekanec the desirable pick by Vegas. Or that this is part-one of a coordinated agreement for a follow-up deal.

On the face of it, I agree it seems like lousy asset management.

That is the only thing I am hoping for, however if LV does not take Emelin or Pleks then this trade is a bust, if the do take one of those two and we threw something else at them like our wash 2nd from this year, it is even worse.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Benn needs to be protected, we might lose Nate for nothing( but of course we wouldn't lose any other good prospect like Hudon if that happened) The best part is the pretzel logic of "this guy sucks, barely NHL calibre Dman, off ice issues etc-BUT LV will SURELY take him from us and we get nothing in return. :shakehead

Benn doesn't need to be protected. He's a dime a dozen defenseman who had a hot streak following a trade. He was garbage in the playoffs and has turned back into the pumpkin he's been his entire career.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A 3rd rounder over the possibility of Vegas taking him for free?

Did Bergevin confirm this worrying reasoning?

This actually incentivizes Vegas to take Hudon or De La Rose now.

Again, the smart move is to protect Hudon and leave Shaw, Emelin and Plekanec exposed.

Dare LV to take a bad contract.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Benn doesn't need to be protected. He's a dime a dozen defenseman who had a hot streak following a trade. He was garbage in the playoffs and has turned back into the pumpkin he's been his entire career.

Beaulieu had more value, better trade him since both are marginal players.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
beaulieu is just the latest of therriens victim; worse coach in recent habs history;
his rookie habs victims is felt even after hes gone...with galy next victim of the foxhole legend

as of now just a horrible defense and trading galy for one is steps in mud

If Beaulieu is that mentally weak to where he was ruined by Therrien and unable to bounce back under Julien, then give me a reason to keep him with Julien still the coach.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Beaulieu is that mentally weak to where he was ruined by Therrien and unable to bounce back under Julien, then give me a reason to keep him with Julien still the coach.

If that is the case, there would be no such thing as ruining young players development.

Simply put, development happens most at certain ages and if during those critical player development years they are messed with and ****ed with, not brought along properly, then they can't recuperate the lost potential simply because circumstances have suddenly changed.

If I give my high school kid a terrible math teacher for three years, chances of that kid becoming suddenly amazing at math after having three bad developmental years, is very slim. Even if I give them the best math tutor in the world the following year.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If that is the case, there would be no such thing as ruining young players development.

Simply put, development happens most at certain ages and if during those critical player development years they are messed with and ****ed with, not brought along properly, then they can't recuperate the lost potential simply because circumstances have suddenly changed.

If I give my high school kid a terrible math teacher for three years, chances of that kid becoming suddenly amazing at math after having three bad developmental years, is very slim. Even if I give them the best math tutor in the world the following year.

Everybody who's ever been good at anything knows that development matters.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Yes, right now this trade appears inane.

The Habs got a third rounder instead of losing Nate, but now Vegas has more incentive to pick Hudon or De La Rose.

I agree that there is no need to protect Benn, as he would not be taken.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm okay with this trade. I wasn't big on Beaulieu as this past season progressed. I started high on him because I felt that being on the top pair with Weber would help him. I also recall him having a real good camp. But things went downhill after that.

I was hoping for him to be in a package to bring a player back. But I'm okay with the pick, even if it's a third rounder. This year, as things stand now, Habs have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Not too shabby.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
I remember Timmins saying that Beaulieau was the steal of the draft... And look what happened with him... Bad coaching in AHL and then NHL made him the player he is today. He probably should of played AHL longer.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Maybe Beau's money is part of what's needed to sign Radulov?

If we get stuck with Pleks & Emelin, I'd rather have Radulov than Beaulieu. We're already low on funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->