Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Another situation where we overrate our own players and we think he is worth more than that.

Look at all the guys that weren't traded and that might be lost for nothing at the ED... It's not easy to get good value on trades because there aren't many teams with protection spots available for a guy like Beaulieu.

Moot point, since we did have a spot to protect Beaulieu. Ridiculous to trade him for a 3rd right after moving Sergachev, and for what, protecting Benn or Emelin? Sigh...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He wasn't worth more than a 3rd rounder otherwise Bergevin would have had more for him. I don't know if the timing of the trade made a huge difference but seems to me the market got a reading of player with off ice issues who projects more as a bottom pairing D than he does as a 4th D. The writing was on the wall with the way Julien used him, especially on the most meaningful game of the playoffs when he was taken out of the lineup.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He wasn't worth more than a 3rd rounder otherwise Bergevin would have had more for him. I don't know if the timing of the trade made a huge difference but seems to me the market got a reading of player with off ice issues who projects more as a bottom pairing D than he does as a 4th D. The writing was on the wall with the way Julien used him, especially on the most meaningful game of the playoffs when he was taken out of the lineup.

That's precisely why we should have kept him...

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
beaulieu is just the latest of therriens victim; worse coach in recent habs history;
his rookie habs victims is felt even after hes gone...with galy next victim of the foxhole legend

as of now just a horrible defense and trading galy for one is steps in mud

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's precisely why we should have kept him...

If they had an inkling Vegas would take him, based on what they traded him for, they should have let Vegas have at him. Now who knows what Vegas will take.

As an aside, props for producing a post that that doesn't contain the usual "could of" and "should of" of this forum.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Look at all the guys that weren't traded and that might be lost for nothing at the ED... It's not easy to get good value on trades because there aren't many teams with protection spots available for a guy like Beaulieu.

Moot point, since we did have a spot to protect Beaulieu. Ridiculous to trade him for a 3rd right after moving Sergachev, and for what, protecting Benn or Emelin? Sigh...

Rules say that 20 of Vegas' picks must already be under contract so MB may have thought that Vegas would use one of the possible 10 slots for unsigned players on Markov and felt the need to protect him.

He knows Benn and Emelin won't be touched (unless he makes a deal forcing Vegas to take them) but Beaulieu would have been a possibility and that would have meant losing him for nothing and while he was not particularly good, it did make sense to get something back instead of nothing.

Also, it is possible that it was down between Plekanec (Gallant is a big fan) and Beaulieu and in an effort to remove temptation from Vegas should MB not be able to strike a deal to guarantee Vegas takes the player he wants, it may have been easier (and simpler) to pass him along to another team for something in return.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Rules say that 20 of Vegas' picks must already be under contract so MB may have thought that Vegas would use one of the possible 10 slots for unsigned players on Markov and felt the need to protect him.

He knows Benn and Emelin won't be touched (unless he makes a deal forcing Vegas to take them) but Beaulieu would have been a possibility and that would have meant losing him for nothing and while he was not particularly good, it did make sense to get something back instead of nothing.

Also, it is possible that it was down between Plekanec (Gallant is a big fan) and Beaulieu and in an effort to remove temptation from Vegas should MB not be able to strike a deal to guarantee Vegas takes the player he wants, it may have been easier (and simpler) to pass him along to another team for something in return.

What would be the odds of Markov signing with Vegas? What would be the odds of Markov signing with anyone but us this summer? To me he's irrelevant as far as the ED goes.

Also, he knows Benn and Emelin won't be touched? And yet, I'm pretty sure he'll protect one of the two, most likely Benn.

All I'm saying is, given our current predicament and the value he got for Beaulieu... Just keep the guy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I totally agree with you.

Let's say we move Galchenyuk for Scandella or Brodin, and refuse to give Radulov 3 years and thus lose him. These are both very plausible scenarios if I believe what I read around here.

In that case, here is the before and after:

1. Galchenyuk ---> Drouin
  2. Sergachev ----> 3rd round pick
  3. Radulov -------> Hudon
  4. Beaulieu ------> Scandella
  5. Plekanec ------> Plekanec (need to keep him now)

No significant upgrade in lines 1 or 4

Massive downgrade in line 2 prospect/draft pick

Massive downgrade in line 3 scoring winger

Due to big money spent on Drouin and Scandella (or Brodin), Radulov savings mostly squandered.

Now let's look at keeping Galchenyuk and giving Radulov his 3 year deal:

• Galchenyuk ---> Galchenyuk
  • Sergachev ----> 3rd round pick
  • Radulov -------> Radulov
  • Beaulieu ------> Davidson or Jerabek
  • Plekanec ------> Drouin

Still have big drop in prospect calibre from a #9 overall to #68 pick, but from a win-now perspective, we have a Massive offensive upgrade moving on from Plekanec, without major cap hit worries.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
What would be the odds of Markov signing with Vegas? What would be the odds of Markov signing with anyone but us this summer? To me he's irrelevant as far as the ED goes.

Also, he knows Benn and Emelin won't be touched? And yet, I'm pretty sure he'll protect one of the two, most likely Benn.

All I'm saying is, given our current predicament and the value he got for Beaulieu... Just keep the guy.

Vegas would have the cap room to make Markov a hell of a 1 year offer. A team that has a lot of youth could use a veteran leader. Vegas also signed Shipashyov and a guy like Markov could potentially go a long way towards making the new signing comfortable in North America. I would personally be surprised if he would sign elsewhere but at the same time, everyone has their price and Vegas may just have enough to find Markov's.

That's why I'm thinking that his 3 protected d-men will be Weber, Petry, and Markov.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Vegas would have the cap room to make Markov a hell of a 1 year offer. A team that has a lot of youth could use a veteran leader. Vegas also signed Shipashyov and a guy like Markov could potentially go a long way towards making the new signing comfortable in North America. I would personally be surprised if he would sign elsewhere but at the same time, everyone has their price and Vegas may just have enough to find Markov's.

That's why I'm thinking that his 3 protected d-men will be Weber, Petry, and Markov.
Omg Markov already has a deal in place with Habs, they are waiting for July to announce.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If I had a chance to pick between losing Hudon, DLR or Beaulieu I would of rather have lost Beaulieu, unless MB use the 3rd to have LV pick Plekanec I don't see any point in trading him right now, he didn't have a future with the team, fine. I would have waited till after the expansion draft, maybe is value would have been a bit higher this draft isn't consider to be very strong so a 3rd round pick is nothing.

We are weak at center, Pleks maybe needed. He's our best defensive center. Why give up 3th pick? Not much in UFA pool this year.

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
I totally agree with you.

Let's say we move Galchenyuk for Scandella or Brodin, and refuse to give Radulov 3 years and thus lose him. These are both very plausible scenarios if I believe what I read around here.

In that case, here is the before and after:

1. Galchenyuk ---> Drouin
  2. Sergachev ----> 3rd round pick
  3. Radulov -------> Hudon
  4. Beaulieu ------> Scandella
  5. Plekanec ------> Plekanec (need to keep him now)

No significant upgrade in lines 1 or 4

Massive downgrade in line 2 prospect/draft pick

Massive downgrade in line 3 scoring winger

Due to big money spent on Drouin and Scandella (or Brodin), Radulov savings mostly squandered.

Now let's look at keeping Galchenyuk and giving Radulov his 3 year deal:

• Galchenyuk ---> Galchenyuk
  • Sergachev ----> 3rd round pick
  • Radulov -------> Radulov
  • Beaulieu ------> Davidson or Jerabek
  • Plekanec ------> Drouin

Still have big drop in prospect calibre from a #9 overall to #68 pick, but from a win-now perspective, we have a Massive offensive upgrade moving on from Plekanec, without major cap hit worries.

Why don't we all wait and see what next week brings before we make too must judgement.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Happy for the kid to get a chance to move on and play under a coach who has a good track record of helping dmen develop. Housley should be able to help him.

With the Habs track record recently with young dmen (and in the past too, Hainsey, Streit, Beauchemin, Weber, etc )probably good for Sergachev's career too.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Happy for the kid to get a chance to move on and play under a coach who has a good track record of helping dmen develop. Housley should be able to help him.

With the Habs track record recently with young dmen (and in the past too, Hainsey, Streit, Beauchemin, Weber, etc )probably good for Sergachev's career too.

I don't trust the Habs to develop anyone.

I would draft exclusively from Europe and leave my prospects over there until they are NHL ready.

Bypass the awful AHL staff.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't trust the Habs to develop anyone.

I would draft exclusively from Europe and leave my prospects over there until they are NHL ready.

Bypass the awful AHL staff.

With Beaulieu and Galchenyuk (among others) I would question their approach to young players at the NHL level as well.

Claude Ruel set the standard here years ago, helping young players.

The Habs could learn from their past.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
With Beaulieu and Galchenyuk (among others) I would question their approach to young players at the NHL level as well.

Claude Ruel set the standard here years ago, helping young players.

The Habs could learn from their past.

You can add a whole lot more, but it would just look like our Trade Threads from the last 5 years.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I took a day off from posting yesterday, can someone summarize the logic of this trade for me?

If a third rounder is the best available trade for the depreciated Beaulieu, why not hold onto him until three weeks into the season when his value might rise due to injuries throughout the NHL?

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I took a day off from posting yesterday, can someone summarize the logic of this trade for me?

If a third rounder is the best available trade for the depreciated Beaulieu, why not hold onto him until three weeks into the season when his value might rise due to injuries throughout the NHL?

Because if we didn't take the 3rd for him Vegas would have taken him for free. If not for the expansion draft we might have been able to get a 2nd from some sucker or maybe a 3rd and a 5th. Ah well

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Because if we didn't take the 3rd for him Vegas would have taken him for free

A 3rd rounder over the possibility of Vegas taking him for free?

Did Bergevin confirm this worrying reasoning?

This actually incentivizes Vegas to take Hudon or De La Rose now.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
A 3rd rounder over the possibility of Vegas taking him for free?

Did Bergevin confirm this worrying reasoning?

This actually incentivizes Vegas to take Hudon or De La Rose now.

Meh. Beaulieu despite being terrible still has more value than both of those guys, so at least we got something for him. I'm hoping they protect Hudon but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad