Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
My guess :

MB talked with GMGM and McPhee told him they liked both Plekanec and Beaulieu but if it was a choice between the two it would be Beaulieu. So they traded Beaulieu to Buffalo so Buffalo could protect Ullmark. And so Montreal can let LV take Plekanec and Beaulieu. Everyone wins.

If I am George McPhee I am not tipping my hand until I see the unprotected rosters...or a another GM makes me an offer not to take a player. Why would McPhee tell MB who he prefers before seeing the rosters...and why would MB believe him unless there is a side deal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If I am George McPhee I am not tipping my hand until I see the unprotected rosters...or a another GM makes me an offer not to take a player. Why would McPhee tell MB who he prefers before seeing the rosters...and why would MB believe him unless there is a side deal?

Perhaps they already have a side deal ? Perhaps Beaulieu to Buffalo was part of it ?

But you may very well be right. But then it could simply be MB being convinced that Gallant would take Beaulieu, and steering LV to take one of Emelin or Plekanec by removing Beaulieu a player they didn't want to sign at 3M+ anyway. Of course they could always take Davidson, Hudon or DLR.

We'll see on Thursday !

WG

Sep 9, 2008
If Beaulieu is making the same mistakes since his first year in Hamilton, how is Weber supposed to fix that?

This is true, not Weber's job. It's JJD's job. Let us not forget the best progress NB made was when paired with Gonchar. Habs have JJ supposedly coaching up the D and about two dozen ex NHL defensemen in the foxhole and nobody could help a young D develop his game?

Take a bow, JJ. Your wise tutelage has turned a 1st round pick into a 3rd round pick after five years of development. At least we won't lose Jordie Benn in the ED draft though, so that's good. We need to send JJ out for some hair care products and lock the goddamn arena door behind him when he leaves.

This all may well be on the player himself, but until I see one shred of evidence that the current gang of cronies can help further a single young player, this failure lies at the feet of MT, JJD et cie.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Wish they would have given him a real chance like start him on the first pairing with Weber to start the year. Oh wait....

Anyone saying this was "mismanaged" horribly is out to lunch. The guy played a bunch in Hamilton and then was gifted opportunity after opportunity to prove he belonged. Unfortunately he never took the necessary steps to becoming a top 4 dman. I don't know why some people have a hard time understanding that players themselves have all the power to show their worth on the ice. He busted, plain and simple.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
You do realize that Beaulieu is arbitration eligible. That means he will get some 3M+ award and eventually would be gone anyway. We can live with Beaulieu's occasional brain cramps at 1M cap hit but not at 3-4M. We didn't have the cap room for him. We can do better with that cap space.

This way we at least got a 3rd for a player we had zero intention of keeping.

Beaulieu is easily worth 3 million. The only reason why it becomes a problem is because of the hilarious overpayments to other dmen on this team that Bergevin gave out.

Beaulieu may be a flawed player, but he has also showed visible signs of improvement every single year he's been in the league and there's no reason to suggest that will just suddenly stop. It is also worth noting that Beaulieu was our 2nd best 5 on 5 point producer on defence, and likely our top producer when ice time is factored in. I don't think that 3rd round pick is going to pick up the slack this year.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Beaulieu is easily worth 3 million. The only reason why it becomes a problem is because of the hilarious overpayments to other dmen on this team that Bergevin gave out.

Beaulieu may be a flawed player, but he has also showed visible signs of improvement every single year he's been in the league and there's no reason to suggest that will just suddenly stop. It is also worth noting that Beaulieu was our 2nd best 5 on 5 point producer on defence, and likely our top producer when ice time is factored in. I don't think that 3rd round pick is going to pick up the slack this year.

A lot of people are forgetting how great he looked when he was playing 25 mins in Markov's absence. His confidence was rocked afterwards because he'd be benched for any small mistake and his minutes cut into the mid-teens again, but he showed a lot of improvement.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Is it so hard to understand that MB and the Habs wanted to get rid of Beaulieu at any cost ?

Then leave him open and save the rest of the player from LV. From that one quote they wanted him anyways. Or maybe its MB really really wants to get rid of pleks :sarcasm:

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
Good luck to Nathan in Buffalo. If he can work on his FOCUS he could become a solid 3-4 D

F . O . C . U . S Nate... work on it.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Wish they would have given him a real chance like start him on the first pairing with Weber to start the year. Oh wait....

Anyone saying this was "mismanaged" horribly is out to lunch. The guy played a bunch in Hamilton and then was gifted opportunity after opportunity to prove he belonged. Unfortunately he never took the necessary steps to becoming a top 4 dman. I don't know why some people have a hard time understanding that players themselves have all the power to show their worth on the ice. He busted, plain and simple.

Oh yeah those 8 minutes a game on the third pairing were gifted to him by Therrien. Nothing says opportunity like a dman playing the least minutes on the entire team when Flynn and AHL scrubs make up your 4th line.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Beaulieu will cost more than 1m$

So who will replace his 28 points and make less than 1 million? Oh right some are hoping the 5'10" Jarabek will save the day.

Oh look I just found this picture of him from last season. Maybe you guys are right

697619-detail4.jpg

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
So who will replace his 28 points and make less than 1 million? Oh right some are hoping the 5'10" Jarabek will save the day.

Oh look I just found this picture of him from last season. Maybe you guys are right

697619-detail4.jpg

Let's not act like Beaulieu(a 6-7D) is hard to replace...

There will be plenty available and cheaper than a 3rd.

Hes been sat at the expense of Davidson, the guy we had in exchange of DD, in thr most crucial game of the season. That tell alot about N8 the Gr8

Brayden McNabb and Xavier Ouellet are known to be available in the expandion draft. To me, they are both better dman than Beaulieu.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Oh yeah those 8 minutes a game on the third pairing were gifted to him by Therrien. Nothing says opportunity like a dman playing the least minutes on the entire team when Flynn and AHL scrubs make up your 4th line.

8 mins this year? He had 1 game this year when he played 8 mins, He had plenty of games playing 20+ mins. His fate was sealed in game 2 when he went -3. Problem with Nate is that he actually wasn't that good in the offensive zone, handling the puck like a grenade most of the time, and he was not good in his own zone. He never developed any part of his game to become a useful player.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
List of players with the about same number of games played (76) and less points (28)

Marc-Edouard Vlasic 75,28
Morgan Rielly 76,27
Jonas Brodin 68,25
Sami Vatanen 71,24
Jack Johnson 82,23
Mattias Ekholm 82,23
Aaron Ekblad 68,21
Hampus Lindholm 66,20
Adam Larsson 79,19

WHAT A ****ING JOKE :shakehead

Jordie ****ing Benn LOL

bergevin-e1458050022800.jpg
So now points define quality of a Dman. We should of traded him for Vlasic then and San jose should of thrown in a pick as well.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
There's no way we traded 2 LD, our biggest weakness next to #1C, without a plan in place

We have basically 3 2nd rounders this year and next and Vegas wants picks, I'll wait a few weeks to see what happens
Saying beau is a 2 LD is reaching. If he's our 2 LD we're in just as much trouble than we are now if we stand pat.

I agree though I think we get another d man in the next few weeks . Just hope it's not at the expense of chucky.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Exactly.

And for a team with no assets to acquire a LD and no actual PMLD...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Saying beau is a 2 LD is reaching. If he's our 2 LD we're in just as much trouble than we are now if we stand pat.

I agree though I think we get another d man in the next few weeks . Just hope it's not at the expense of chucky.

When he was our 1 LD in Markov's absence he was good and didn't look out of place at all. Small sample size, sure, but he was showing us what he could do and what we thought he could do when we drafted him.

It's another example of the Habs mismanagement of young players and driving their value down before shipping them off.

I fear they're about to do the same thing to Chucky.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
The starting point being the state of the Habs offense at the dead line, the list of players and teams able to provide something considered "scoring help" is long and wide.

I realize the Canadiens could have used scoring help at the deadline. I'm just curious as to what player you think the Canadiens could have acquired for Nathan Beaulieu that would have helped?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So now points define quality of a Dman. We should of traded him for Vlasic then and San jose should of thrown in a pick as well.

When you have Price and a bottom half offense in the league it's not something to ignore.

In fact points for top 4 dmen has never ever been something you ignore. Not in the 80ies. Not in the 90ies. No in the 2k. Never ever.

Only in Montreal that we are fine with 10-15 points in 82 games top 4 dmen who are not elite defensively speaking (and no Benn, Gorges and Bouillon are not elite). Winning teams try to do better than that. And it's not only about the points. I mean Emelin and Benn really don't have any offensive skills. So it's up to Jaracek or Davidson to complete the offensive top 4 (particularly on the 2nd PP unit) and let's say it's a **** big gamble. Let's hope Markov doesn't hit a wall.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Geoff taking a beating on his twitter account (see responses to this tweet):

At least he didn't use "bonnie chance" as he did with his Subban best wishes tweet last year.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Bergevin //_-
Minus Subben, Segachev, Beaulieu, Nesterov and maybe Emelin. Markov is about to retire, Shea is gettin' old... Well, the future of Canadiens' defence may rest in peace. Maybe Bergevin will play dman himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->