Proposal: MTL & ARIZONA

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
An existing NHL player coming in with an 8.5M$ contract for 6 more years.

I'd prob give more if the Yotes retained 2.5/3M$/ years on OEL contract (which would bring his contract value to the level he's playing right now), but they won,t retain that much on a contract.

I'd prob give somethign along the lines of

1st 2021
Strubble / Teasdale / McShane / Harris
Poehling
+
Chiarot

for OEL @ 5.5/6M$

at 8.5M$? no way
You listed the exact same untouchable prospects in the Palmieri thread, the Granlund thread and I'm sure several others, so this isn't about cap, you just seem very confident the habs are super deep with impact prospects and I'm not as confident that they will all work out.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You listed the exact same untouchable prospects in the Palmieri thread, the Granlund thread and I'm sure several others, so this isn't about cap, you just seem very confident the habs are super deep with impact prospects and I'm not as confident that they will all work out.

I'm down to trade a prospect like Caufield oe Guhle of the return is a 24-25Yo impact player, not 2nd/3rd liner futur UFA. Why trade away good futur assets for players that aren't making the team any better? Habs have more rhan enough 2nd/3rd line tweener, they need an impact player

Oel, ekholm, granlund, palmieri aren't impact players

Reactions: HabsAddict

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'm down to trade a prospect like Caufield oe Guhle of the return is a 24-25Yo impact player, not 2nd/3rd liner futur UFA. Why trade away good futur assets for players that aren't making the team any better? Habs have more rhan enough 2nd/3rd line tweener, they need an impact player

Oel, ekholm, granlund, palmieri aren't impact players
I just don't see all those prospects being impact players either, so to name them as untouchables in a Forsberg trade seems like you are think those players will be impact NHLers and I think that 2 of that list will be good players eventually, 2 will be middling, and 2 will probably never really have much of an NHL career.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I just don't see all those prospects being impact players either, so to name them as untouchables in a Forsberg trade seems like you are think those players will be impact NHLers and I think that 2 of that list will be good players eventually, 2 will be middling, and 2 will probably never really have much of an NHL career.

Again, Forsberg has 1.5years of control, than can go on and sign for 8/9M$ a year. For a 60pts guy?? Who may noy resign here? Nope. If Forsberg had 5years left at 6M, sign me in, but he's not worth the money he'll get next year.

Reactions: HabsAddict

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Then they wouldn’t get him. Would have to aim lower. Tatar has zero value to a franchise like Arizona. His value becomes deeply negative the moment he signs a 5 year $5mm AAV contract as the OP suggests. Let me counter that terribad suggestion by preeminently calling that the worst contract signed this up coming offseason.

ask yourself this, would you be excited to see Montreal sign Tatar to that deal today? Exactly. So why would Arizona? Also... exactly.

so the entire premise is flawed in that it actually values Tatar (he has zero to Arizona) and makes it substantially worse with the 5 year contract.

so if Byron has to be attached as well (negative value) but makes the cap math work, then all the value for OEL has to come in other pieces. So one of Caufield or Guhle. A unprotected 1st in 2022. 2nd rounders in 2021 and 2023. Mete (toss in) and another good prospect b+ makes the deal happen.
Huh? Tatar has a ton of value with that kind of a contract. That's fantastic value for what he brings, and the term isn't bad. To suggest he has negative value is just insane.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Huh? Tatar has a ton of value with that kind of a contract. That's fantastic value for what he brings, and the term isn't bad. To suggest he has negative value is just insane.
You’d have Tatar from age 31-36. He’s playing a 4th line role with diminished ice time. He’s been a healthy scratch this season. And you’d want to sign him for 5 years of his age 30+ seasons? Give him $5mm per. Lol.

Sounds like a total Sharks move anyway so good fit. Make your team older and worse than it already is with no cap flexibility and a boatload of untradable contracts. The Sharks are already locked in to be awful for the next five seasons. Why not just make a horrible cap and contract situation a lot worse by adding Tatar long term. Great idea!

It’s amusing to me a Sharks fan would call that a good contract. Your team has, by far, the most bad contracts in the league. Between your defense and your goalie, it’s a fiasco of bad long term deals. One of which cost you Stutzel.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
OEL has a full NMC and was only willing to waive for Boston or Vancouver. If he were to expand that to Montreal, then an extended Tatar, Chairot, and a 1st is quite a good offer. Having said that, I’d probably insist on Kaiden Guhle instead of that 1st. Otherwise I’d look to see if someone else could do better on an offer including a D prospect.

How has OEL looked this year? I know he was really poor the last few years but obviously still young enough to bounce back.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You’d have Tatar from age 31-36. He’s playing a 4th line role with diminished ice time. He’s been a healthy scratch this season. And you’d want to sign him for 5 years of his age 30+ seasons? Give him $5mm per. Lol.

Sounds like a total Sharks move anyway so good fit. Make your team older and worse than it already is with no cap flexibility and a boatload of untradable contracts. The Sharks are already locked in to be awful for the next five seasons. Why not just make a horrible cap and contract situation a lot worse by adding Tatar long term. Great idea!

It’s amusing to me a Sharks fan would call that a good contract. Your team has, by far, the most bad contracts in the league. Between your defense and your goalie, it’s a fiasco of bad long term deals. One of which cost you Stutzel.
:laugh:

Why are you rambling about the Sharks? You really went off the rails with this post.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
:laugh:

Why are you rambling about the Sharks? You really went off the rails with this post.

You’re avatar is literally the Sharks.

but if you’re a Habs fan using that avatar, then ask yourself this. Would you want Montreal to sign Tatar to a 5 year $5mm AAV? If so, do it. Go and do it. Habs give Tatar a 5 year extension. By all means.

but we both know Montreal wouldn’t want that contract on your books so it’s horse crap to push it on another team as valuable.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You’re avatar is literally the Sharks.

but if you’re a Habs fan using that avatar, then ask yourself this. Would you want Montreal to sign Tatar to a 5 year $5mm AAV? If so, do it. Go and do it.

but we both know Montreal wouldn’t want that contract on your books so it’s horse crap to push it on another team as valuable.
Who cares what my avatar is? That's irrelevant to Tatar's value. You just wanted to bring up some weird personal attack.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How has OEL looked this year? I know he was really poor the last few years but obviously still young enough to bounce back.
He hasn’t been really poor the last few years. He hasn’t been himself but he’s still better than the vast majority of defenseman in the league.

He’s not the guy who’s going to score 20+ goals per season anymore. He’s playing a more solid, quiet, efficient game these days. I think disagreements with his terrible coach about play style, along with gaining the captaincy and having some ideas of what that should mean for his game, have caused him to mute his more colorful qualities on the ice.

I preferred his old approach and hope he moves back in that direction. It would be a great thing for the Coyotes to fire Rick Tocchet and Phil Housley. I would love to see OEL and others play for more competent coaches.

To address your question specifically, this season has been the best he’s played in the Tocchet era, I think.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I have no idea how OEL has played but Tatar and Chariot have been dreadful most of the season. There is a reason they are being offered up. This is classic take my trash for a good player. Only value is if that first is top 10.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Who cares what my avatar is? That's irrelevant to Tatar's value. You just wanted to bring up some weird personal attack.
Or just make it obvious that Tatar is negative value at 5 years x 5mm AAV. The entire basis of this trade makes no sense as a result. If the Habs won’t pay Tatar that. No idea why another team would trade for a rental, offer up big value to get Tatar and then cut that dreadful contract with him. It makes no sense.

you guys may get a 2nd for Tatar. More likely he just walks in UFA and you’ll have him for a playoff run this season.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Or just make it obvious that Tatar is negative value at 5 years x 5mm AAV. The entire basis of this trade makes no sense as a result. If the Habs won’t pay Tatar that. No idea why another team would trade for a rental, offer up big value to get Tatar and then cut that dreadful contract with him. It makes no sense.

you guys may get a 2nd for Tatar. More likely he just walks in UFA and you’ll have him for a playoff run this season.

Remind me again how a winger that's been scoring at a 65pts pace over the pas 2 season only gets a 2nd when Guys like Coleman got a 1st +?

He'll net us far more than just a 2nd, but thing is, Habs won't trade him cause they are in a playoff spot

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If I’m Arizona, I’m a hard pass on Tatar but I snag Danault, Mete and Caufield in this deal. Doesn’t matter if you resign Danault. It’s about getting younger.

if Habs have an expiring contract to add, by all means, but I put a zero value on it. It’s just filler.

Tatar at $5Mm for 5 years all in his 30s sounds like a nightmare contract. Woof. That’s the worst part of your proposal by far.

There is no way in hades I give a 31 year old a Tatar a 5 year deal. The North is playing no defense (other than the Leafs) and Tatar is trending in the wrong direction.

So humm... are we just gonna ignore that OEL is 29 and signed 6 more years at 8.25M/year???

Don't get me wrong, he's a superior player to Tatar, but his contract's pretty hefty too. Tatar is not currently resigned so why get so pissy about the non-existent contract?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Remind me again how a winger that's been scoring at a 65pts pace over the pas 2 season only gets a 2nd when Guys like Coleman got a 1st +?

He'll net us far more than just a 2nd, but thing is, Habs won't trade him cause they are in a playoff spot
Coleman had a better contract and it was prior to C19. Different era bro. And you know this too. And Tatar ain’t a 65 point anything this year. He’s a struggling bottom six forward in a contract year where he’s playing poorly. Danault playing as poorly as he has is another guy watching his trade value crater at the same time as his AAV and term of his next deal.

you’re probably right that you’ll keep Tatar and watch him walk in the offseason. Or resign him for five years at $5mm per. I like that idea.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So humm... are we just gonna ignore that OEL is 29 and signed 6 more years at 8.25M/year???

Don't get me wrong, he's a superior player to Tatar, but his contract's pretty hefty too. Tatar is not currently resigned so why get so pissy about the non-existent contract?
That extension was the value basis of the OPs offer. As if a 5 year $5mm AAV Tatar was actually valuable to Arizona as to why this trade should happen. Lol. The OP missed the mark so so so bad with this proposal.

Reactions: abo9

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Arizona can keep OEL. I’d offer a 2021 1st , 2022 2nd , Chariot , Tatar (can be moved for another pick ) and mete for chychrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad