Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ARI] Galchenyuk to Arizona, Domi to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I think you're inventing the fact that it's only the french media that lead these crusades. You clearly have your own agenda going.

Respectfully I have been extraordinarily pro-French in Quebec throughout my life. I understand there are people like what you suggest, I am not one of them. And you used the word "crusade" not me, but I think that means maybe we can agree that the Habs more than any other NHL team have historically been like a religion for their fans, and are perhaps rightly claimed as something of a cultural property by Québécois nationalists.

In this context the team performance metric may be downgraded, as the goal includes construction of a cultural property not simply winning the Cup. I'd like both, but then again I considered PK a Montrealer.

Qc media were cheerleaders for Bergevin through years that will be remembered as a dark period with failure upon failure, that much must be clear to everyone, no matter the excuses Habs finished 27th. And unless there's a miracle bounce next season the team is done for awhile.

Why the Habs have so much influence over the media is another issue but it imho basically comes down to Qc being a language-specific NHL market so a bit of a monopoly oportunity; and people everywhere preferring free news to traditional subscription-based media models, which means that they let an interested party pay the people who provide the content, and so in this sense yes Lavoie probably believes he's both saying what he thinks and doing his job, which seems wonderful for him and I know he has a lot of fans.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I am also a long time STH with the Coyotes. I see Montreal once a year so I know next to nothing about their team or about Chucky, so thanks for the info.

Let me say a few things about Domi. I've watched him closely since he came up. On ice, he is a playmaker more than a goal scorer. Last year was, indeed horrible for him with only 5 goals when a goalie was in the net. I expect him to pot 15 next season plus a few open net goals. Domi's vision on the ice is superior. His passing ability is superior and he makes highlight reel passes almost on a nightly basis. Match him up with a pure scoring forward and both will thrive.

Domi can't finish. He is He is plain awful on breakaways and penalty shots. Really bad, can suck the life out of the building with his attempts.

Domi is quick but not fast. I know, fast and small go together but not Domi. He's an average NHL skater, no better, no worse, but he is very quick and has excellent puck control.

Domi plays with a huge heart. He fights to protect himself or teammates. Don't let him. He broke his hand in a fight and he hasn't been the same since.

Domi is absolute gold to fans, adults and children alike. Domi personifies everything that people love aout hockey players, even those who don't know a puck from a Mallard duck.

I will miss him.

Reactions: RemoAZ and AZviaNJ

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Respectfully I have been extraordinarily pro-French in Quebec throughout my life. I understand there are people like what you suggest, I am not one of them. And you used the word "crusade" not me, but I think that means maybe we can agree that the Habs more than any other NHL team have historically been like a religion for their fans, and are perhaps rightly claimed as something of a cultural property by Québécois nationalists.

In this context the team performance metric may be downgraded, as the goal includes construction of a cultural property not simply winning the Cup. I'd like both, but then again I considered PK a Montrealer.

Qc media were cheerleaders for Bergevin through years that will be remembered as a dark period with failure upon failure, that much must be clear to everyone, no matter the excuses Habs finished 27th. And unless there's a miracle bounce next season the team is done for awhile.

Why the Habs have so much influence over the media is another issue but it imho basically comes down to Qc being a language-specific NHL market so a bit of a monopoly oportunity; and people everywhere preferring free news to traditional subscription-based media models, which means that they let an interested party pay the people who provide the content, and so in this sense yes Lavoie probably believes he's both saying what he thinks and doing his job, which seems wonderful for him and I know he has a lot of fans.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's short sighted to say that it's just a french media thing when it comes to supporting Bergevin. I can safely say most people were relatively happy with his moves until the Desharnais signing and the realization Galchenyuk wasn't going to be developing into the center we wanted. The Subban trade cemented the downfall.

But I refuse to accept that the french media was in any way the sole entity defensive of Bergevin, it's not what I saw and his moves have been criticized thoroughly just as they've been applauded when they shouldn't be - the control the team has over reporters comes across not just through language. There are a few pro-habs reporters, Renaud Lavoie comes to mind, but you can see elements of that in non-francophone writers and media faces. It's fatiguing to see people speak of the francophone population in such negative ways, like it doesn't already have to deal with that shit from the rest of Canada. As for supporting local talent, well no shit.

This forum is an echo-chamber, it's very easy to lose sight of what people are saying, regardless of language spoken.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Domi can't finish. He is He is plain awful on breakaways and penalty shots. Really bad, can suck the life out of the building with his attempts.

Domi is quick but not fast. I know, fast and small go together but not Domi. He's an average NHL skater, no better, no worse, but he is very quick and has excellent puck control.

When you say he can't finish is that only true for after he broke his hand or is it also true when he scored 18 goals in his rookie year?

Also what's the difference between quick and fast?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Galchenyuk produced when he was at center, but he doesn't have the iq, defensive awareness and faceoff strength to be a good centerman. He doesn't have the experience either. I think of his 418 nhl games, about only 100 of those he played center.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Galchenyuk produced when he was at center, but he doesn't have the iq, defensive awareness and faceoff strength to be a good centerman. He doesn't have the experience either. I think of his 418 nhl games, about only 100 of those he played center.
He wasn't ever given the experience, time or coaching to develop at center. He should have been put at center in his first season but Therrien put him on the wing because playing a one dimensional small french center was more important than developing Galchenyuk. How can you play a player on the wing then expect him to play center?

Montreal mismanaged and bumbled his development from day 1.

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
Bergevin strikes again! This clown should have been fired right after the Subban-Weber trade. Good god I hate the good ol' boys club that many Canadian teams have (Montreal, Edmonton).

This buffon of a so called GM had a cup-contending team in 2015-2016, he has traded away or let go a vast majority of those core players for mediocrity in just TWO years!

What's next? Patches for Toews? Oh god, you know its coming.

Reactions: BLONG7

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Bergevin strikes again! This clown should have been fired right after the Subban-Weber trade. Good god I hate the good ol' boys club that many Canadian teams have (Montreal, Edmonton).

This buffon of a so called GM had a cup-contending team in 2015-2016, he has traded away or let go a vast majority of those core players for mediocrity in just TWO years!

What's next? Patches for Toews? Oh god, you know its coming.

Yeah, the organization is in shambles.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I get what you're saying, but I think it's short sighted to say that it's just a french media thing when it comes to supporting Bergevin. I can safely say most people were relatively happy with his moves until the Desharnais signing and the realization Galchenyuk wasn't going to be developing into the center we wanted. The Subban trade cemented the downfall.

But I refuse to accept that the french media was in any way the sole entity defensive of Bergevin, it's not what I saw and his moves have been criticized thoroughly just as they've been applauded when they shouldn't be - the control the team has over reporters comes across not just through language. There are a few pro-habs reporters, Renaud Lavoie comes to mind, but you can see elements of that in non-francophone writers and media faces. It's fatiguing to see people speak of the francophone population in such negative ways, like it doesn't already have to deal with that **** from the rest of Canada. As for supporting local talent, well no ****.

This forum is an echo-chamber, it's very easy to lose sight of what people are saying, regardless of language spoken.

The journalists that travel with the team tend to be careful when they criticize/comment the management decisions, but many other journalists (french journalists) from the written press (journal de Montréal, LaPresse, LeDevoir) openly criticized the management, same for many on the radio both french and english 91.9 sport and tsn 690.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I like both player. Max Domi is gonna be a better player in a market like MTL. 18 goals, 52 points first season. He got a potential to be a 20-25 goal scorer with 35-45 assists. He have better hockey sens and playmaking ability than Galchenyuk.

This trade is good for both teams.

Domi like play with pressure and Galchenyuk like play with underpressure.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
When you say he can't finish is that only true for after he broke his hand or is it also true when he scored 18 goals in his rookie year?

Also what's the difference between quick and fast?
IIRC Domi couldn't finish well even before the stupid hand injury. As to quick and fast, Domi has very good acceleration and cuts and can separate himself. That's quickness. On an end to end rush, Domi can be caught. That's a lack of speed. Don't get me wrong, I like Domi and think that Habs fans will really like that he never takes a shift off, that he's a heart and soul player.

jazzhockey

Nov 7, 2016
Canada
Don't let the northern rednecks of Quebec get you down. They'll even construct some sort of lame rationalization when Galch outscores Domi this season, they embrace failure lol. Team has been hijacked it will be 10 years before the Habs can recover from Bergevin.

It's funny how you got offended quickly and assumed I was from Quebec. Just looking at your recent activities you've only been trashing Bergevin. I agree he's a bad GM, but why so salty lady?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
9 Goals, 4 of which empty net. Can't hit, can't fight, 5'10, not a center that will get consideration at center, list goes on...

2cj0gi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->