Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ANA] Nic Deslauriers for 2020 4th round pick

CaptCrunch

Apr 25, 2006
To be honest, 2017-2018 DLo had his moments for a 4th liner. He even became a borderline 3rd liner for a few weeks.

Lost his groove when he got hurt and found himself in the doghouse this year.

If he stays healthy next year I could still see him as an NHL player ‍(maybe?)

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
In this day and age 3rd and 4th rounders are valuable, it's usually where good organizations find their gems. You cannot fill your roster with only trades and 1st and 2nd rounders. If it's the case you are not doing your job and your drafting should be overhauled.
I never said i liked the trade. I think they overpaid for a meh player.

Cogsfordogs7

May 20, 2017
That future fourth round pick was going to be a locker room cancer so good thing Ducks made this trade.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I like him, but the Habs are stacked with depth. He didn't have a chance to go on the top 12.
Pretty ok with the pick.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
In this day and age 3rd and 4th rounders are valuable, it's usually where good organizations find their gems. You cannot fill your roster with only trades and 1st and 2nd rounders. If it's the case you are not doing your job and your drafting should be overhauled.
3rd round sorta, 4th round not so much. There are 52 active players in the NHL with 100+ games in the NHL who are 4th round picks. Korbinian Holzer is 42 in games played, to get a little perspective. 25 have 100+ points.

There are 41 players with 100+ games who are 5th rounders. 36 who are 6th. 25 who are 7th. Using your logic, it would make sense to trade your 4th for a 6th and 7th every year - there are 62 Active NHL players with 28mhqving 100+ points.

Even 3rd rounders are a crapshoot. 65 100+ game active NHL players with 29 having 100+ points. Just because there are some gems out there doesn’t mean that there still aren’t 10-12 players who literally never see NHL ice, and (as I posted above) even teams who are good at it miss a lot. Most teams have a very small number of 4-7th round players.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
considering the Habs history in drafting in the 4th round or later rounds in general, they should probably avoid that bet.

It does not matter. We got an asset that usually fetches a far better player than DLO. That pick can be flipped again at the deadline if needed. DLO is more or less a useless hustler.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yeah bro, itd suck to get Gallagher for Deslauriers...

It does not matter. We got an asset that usually fetches a far better player than DLO. That pick can be flipped again at the deadline if needed. DLO is more or less a useless hustler.

I like that both of you missed the point. Congrats on the 4th round pick, you sure “won” the trade I guess.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
This trade is so minor I don’t know why people are making such a deal about it.

Deslauriers isn’t great but can certainly be a serviceable fourth-line player at times. Or you put him in the press box. I actually liked him in Buffalo. He plays with a lot of grit but unfortunately can’t do much else. Still, he can be an effective grinder that at least bangs the body every shift and can drop the gloves with the best. He wasn’t bad when he was first traded to Montréal but had a rough season last year. Habs have plenty of other better forwards to take that spot. Good for them to get something for him, although just a mid pick. He was probably worth more like a sixth. Ducks give up nothing significant anyway for a forward they can have on the fourth line most nights.

Picks in the fourth round are most valuable when used to trade up it seems. Odds of finding an NHL player by making the pick are slim.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
This trade is so minor I don’t know why people are making such a deal about it.

Deslauriers isn’t great but can certainly be a serviceable fourth-line player at times. Or you put him in the press box. I actually liked him in Buffalo. He plays with a lot of grit but unfortunately can’t do much else. Still, he can be an effective grinder that at least bangs the body every shift and can drop the gloves with the best. He wasn’t bad when he was first traded to Montréal but had a rough season last year. Habs have plenty of other better forwards to take that spot. Good for them to get something for him, although just a mid pick. He was probably worth more like a sixth. Ducks give up nothing significant anyway for a forward they can have on the fourth line most nights.

Picks in the fourth round are most valuable when used to trade up it seems. Odds of finding an NHL player by making the pick are slim.

We did find Manson Terry Kase in fourth round or later hence the anger from ducks fans

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Don’t like this one bit. No matter how unlikely it’d have been to find a useful player in the fourth round, it’s still poor asset management to relinquish the pick for a player who clearly blows. And as others have said, some of the better players on our roster and one of our best prospects were drafted late.

Oh well, nothing to lose sleep over. It’s consistent with Bob Murray’s penchant for making spit-for-spit type deals and his annual binge of fringe NHLer FA signings.

Reactions: Duck Off

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Getting a 4th for a guy who probably isn't an NHL player other than how big he is, is a good return.

The Habs can now put together a pretty good forward group

Domi-Duchene-Drouin
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Byron-Poehling-Weal
--------------------------
N. Thompson

Mete-Weber
Gardiner-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen
-------------------
Reilly, Folin

Habs have draft picks galore, maybe they can move 2nd and 4th to Ottawa, with Karl Alzner, for essentially no one.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
Getting a 4th for a guy who probably isn't an NHL player other than how big he is, is a good return.

The Habs can now put together a pretty good forward group

Domi-Duchene-Drouin
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Byron-Poehling-Weal
--------------------------
N. Thompson

Mete-Weber
Gardiner-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen
-------------------
Reilly, Folin

Habs have draft picks galore, maybe they can move 2nd and 4th to Ottawa, with Karl Alzner, for essentially no one.

Bro where do you live did you not hear the Duchene to the Preds is confirmed lol

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bro where do you live did you not hear the Duchene to the Preds is confirmed lol

Away from the internet tonight, just read it. Too bad. But that opens up other players too. Marc Bergevin is still in a good spot to move with Cap space, and draft picks to sacrifice.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
The kid was tough as nails and showed decent hustle his first year. His second year, he got injured and didn't show the same drive. If the Ducks can get him back to his first year form, the 4th would be a decent price to have paid.

There are no losers in this trade, the 4th isn't guaranteed to amount to more than what D-Lo is and D-Lo is redundant in our system so we got something for him instead of losing an asset for free.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Our prospect pool is well stocked. Losing a 4th round pick is worth it if they feel it addresses a need. It has little impact on the team's future.
It's the fact that they think it addresses a need that's the problem. Nick Deslauriers has little impact on the team's future.

It works both ways.

Nobody is saying that this is going to ruin another team. But another poster saying the Canadiens always suck in the 4th rd and thus it's dumb, is just a troll take.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
wanna guess how many 4th rounders the blues have on their roster?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Funny,
i just moved deslauries today too for a pick in NHL 18.
might be the 2020 5th round pick ^^.

I needed to make space for an elite winger ;D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->