Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ANA] Nic Deslauriers for 2020 4th round pick

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Seems like an overpayment, but then again, how many 4th rounders end up being NHLers?

But at the same time - Anaheim could've probably signed a similar/better player for free.

Reactions: Duck Off

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
considering the Habs history in drafting in the 4th round or later rounds in general, they should probably avoid that bet.
You gave up a lottery ticket for a rusty dirty penny. Sure, it's likely that lottery ticket won't hit, but odds are you could've found another penny that was even shinier and not had to give up the lottery tickey.

Considering the Ducks history of signing guys like Luke Schenn, Chase De Leo, Andrej Sustr, Reto Berra, and Jared Boll.... maybe they may want to keep some of those 4ths and roll the dice that they can get someone as good as those all stars they like to pick up in July. At least those ones they didn't actually give anything up to get.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I get it now. When the Leafs make a move its a terrible move but all Habs moves are excellent. Yea, ok.

Is Montreal going to be able to ice a team this year? They are shipping out all their players.

Is Montreal rebuilding now?
:skeptic:

They only have 23 players under contract who played in the NHL last season + 4 RFAs + a few prime prospects.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling !

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The thing is... you could've had Deslauriers on waivers for nothing AND the 4th.

You are right that the odds are against a 4th making the NHL. Therefor I'm sure you're fine with dealing Henry Thurn, Jack Kopacka and Alex Dostie for 13th Fs and 7th dmen.
Deslauriers was waived?

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Seems like an overpayment, but then again, how many 4th rounders end up being NHLers?

But at the same time - Anaheim could've probably signed a similar/better player for free.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Don’t like it because of what you just said, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

In the last 20 years, 4th round pick :

Montreal has had :
‘16 - Victor Mete - 120 NHL Games played.
‘10 - Morgan Ellis - 3 NHL Games played.
‘04 - HT Wyman - 44 NHL Games played.
‘03 - Cory Locke - 9 NHL Games played.
‘01 - Marti Javentie - 1 NHL Games played.

Anaheim has had :
‘12 - Kevin Roy - 12 NHL Games played.
‘09 - Sami Vatanen - 387 NHL Games played.
‘07 - Steven Kampfer - 201 NHL Games played.
‘06 - Matt beleskey - 477 NHL Games played.
‘01 - Timo Parssinen - 17 NHL Games played.
‘00 - Jonas Ronnqvist - 38 NHL Games played.

So, 4 NHL players, between 2 teams, over 20 years. The chances are far higher that Anaheim gets the better player out of the deal, sad as that is. Deslauriers at 317 is doing pretty well there.

Anaheim potentially could have gotten a similar UFA player. But they likely would have had to pay more than 950K to make up for the obscene cost of living here. So....this is really a “meh” thing.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
This rumor litterally came from a reader of DLCoulisses. They don't say if this reader has any credibility (my guess is he doesn't). It could be anyone just making stuff up. If I ran DLC, I would not have made anything public with this. Don't believe it for now.

Wonder how you feel now.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
You gave up a lottery ticket for a rusty dirty penny. Sure, it's likely that lottery ticket won't hit, but odds are you could've found another penny that was even shinier and not had to give up the lottery tickey.

Considering the Ducks history of signing guys like Luke Schenn, Chase De Leo, Andrej Sustr, Reto Berra, and Jared Boll.... maybe they may want to keep some of those 4ths and roll the dice that they can get someone as good as those all stars they like to pick up in July. At least those ones they didn't actually give anything up to get.
Our prospect pool is well stocked. Losing a 4th round pick is worth it if they feel it addresses a need. It has little impact on the team's future.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Deslauriers isn’t an NHL player though. I mean not if you want to have a good team.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Was a beast his first year here, sucked last year.

If he can find that spark again he will surprise, but he may not have the fire anymore. Last year was tough for him with the facial injury and I am sure it really effected his overall game and messed with his head a lot. A summer off might give him the chance to get over it.

Habs weren't going to use him so getting a pick in the draft in Montreal is good return for us.

All the best to DLO out west. Glad he isn't in the east.

Reactions: Edgy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

In this day and age 3rd and 4th rounders are valuable, it's usually where good organizations find their gems. You cannot fill your roster with only trades and 1st and 2nd rounders. If it's the case you are not doing your job and your drafting should be overhauled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->