Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Alex Radulov (1 year, $5.750M AAV)

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Rivalry aside, coming at this as a hockey fan, seeing the complete flip some of you habs fans have on PK is outright ridiculous, I hated when we did it with Seguin and I think this bothers me more given that pk is my favorite player. Your organization screwed him over not the other way around. To trash his character while praising Radulov is at best, hypocritical. Seriously the spin you guys are buying is awful. He was the habs and loved your city more than anything, and your gm and coach screwed him over for their own pride.

For the record the only people bad mouthing PK has been certain media outlets with agendas and a case of broken telephone after that. The organization had absolutely nothing bad to say about PK and decided to change the dynamic of the team be it on the ice or in the locker room. This hurts many of us as fans as we had grown fond of PK ( he is charismatic) and felt that after the horrible summer after the bridge contract debacle / long term deal that we could finally put it aside and enjoy him for the next 9 years .. The good and the bad.. And believe me there has always been a negative side to his game too. Whether it was internal or not we can't know for sure and whether the problems in the room were real or bigger then they say we can never know but what we do know is that just like in any case of a star leaving for another team a large amount of the fan base tends to try to follow.. As was the case with the whole halak price debacle... (Price was a bum) etc...

Players like PK are rare. Not his play on ice.. I mean of course theyre rare but we did get another elite dman in exchange in spite of what everyone says.

All this talk about weber being finished at 30 is nonsense.. And it comes from the same non fans that had a hard time putting PK in the top 5 just three months ago..

In the end we will see what happens but radulov is completely different.

His biggest issue was maturity and I don't know about you but I wasn't the same at 25 then I was at 30. We make mistakes and learn. Be it missing curfew on an NHL team... Or picking up and sleeping with that real funny fat waitress that you work with (hi Audrey) and then try to avoid eye contact for the next few weeks

Radulov made mistakes. So did chucky. So did many young millionaires that are fortunate enough to play hockey and get paid at such a young age and feel
Invincible.

But just because you skipped class in high school
Everyday.. Doesn't mean you won't be depended on to show up at work every day today.

The last four years Rads settled
Down in his private life( they say) getting married and having a child.time will tell if it'll work out..

But pk and radulov have nothing to do with each other.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Habs fans will have the last laugh in this signing. As a Leafs fan I'm genuinely concerned that he will put up 70 points this year. Low risk, high reward signing.

Not sure why you'd be concerned. Your team can't be expected to make the playoffs. I would imagine the goal is to finish closer to the postseason and make solid progress.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
For the record the only people bad mouthing PK has been certain media outlets with agendas and a case of broken telephone after that. The organization had absolutely nothing bad to say about PK and decided to change the dynamic of the team be it on the ice or in the locker room. This hurts many of us as fans as we had grown fond of PK ( he is charismatic) and felt that after the horrible summer after the bridge contract debacle / long term deal that we could finally put it aside and enjoy him for the next 9 years .. The good and the bad.. And believe me there has always been a negative side to his game too. Whether it was internal or not we can't know for sure and whether the problems in the room were real or bigger then they say we can never know but what we do know is that just like in any case of a star leaving for another team a large amount of the fan base tends to try to follow.. As was the case with the whole halak price debacle... (Price was a bum) etc...

Players like PK are rare. Not his play on ice.. I mean of course theyre rare but we did get another elite dman in exchange in spite of what everyone says.

All this talk about weber being finished at 30 is nonsense.. And it comes from the same non fans that had a hard time putting PK in the top 5 just three months ago..

In the end we will see what happens but radulov is completely different.

His biggest issue was maturity and I don't know about you but I wasn't the same at 25 then I was at 30. We make mistakes and learn. Be it missing curfew on an NHL team... Or picking up and sleeping with that real funny fat waitress that you work with (hi Audrey) and then try to avoid eye contact for the next few weeks

Radulov made mistakes. So did chucky. So did many young millionaires that are fortunate enough to play hockey and get paid at such a young age and feel
Invincible.

But just because you skipped class in high school
Everyday.. Doesn't mean you won't be depended on to show up at work every day today.

The last four years Rads settled
Down in his private life( they say) getting married and having a child.time will tell if it'll work out..

But pk and radulov have nothing to do with each other.

This was an amazing post, while the whole issue still upsets me, even as I bruins fan I have an immense amount of respect for you after reading this. Thanks for the insight.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We have Markov, Emelin, Galchenyuk in our roster, and we have Scherbak and Sergachev that will be nhlers in a year or two.

Hopefully, we sign Shipachev too :yo:

I am sure that Alex was born in Milwaukee. His dad played for the Admirals in the 1990s. I guess that makes him a Cheese Head Russian!

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Seems every summer Bergevin ferrets out a "low-risk, high-reward" player. This time praying the hail mary pass will make people forget one of the dumbest trades in team history.

The pieces are all in place for a catastrophic failure in Montreal this season. Radulov's $5.75m contract is actually a $2.75m contract with a $3m signing bonus that he got Friday. "He's changed" and will be an obedient soldier and respect an NHL contract for the first time, promise, just needed three mil up front that's all... :laugh:

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Seems every summer Bergevin ferrets out a "low-risk, high-reward" player. This time praying the hail mary pass will make people forget one of the dumbest trades in team history.

The pieces are all in place for a catastrophic failure in Montreal this season. Radulov's $5.75m contract is actually a $2.75m contract with a $3m signing bonus that he got Friday. "He's changed" and will be an obedient soldier and respect an NHL contract for the first time, promise, just needed three mil up front that's all... :laugh:

Just like the Habs needed to pay Shea Weber 8 mil up front to make up the difference in the trade being so lopsided. :sarcasm:

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
During the press conference Bergevin made a distinction between a maturity problem and a personality problem. You can gain maturity, personality doesn't change.

Where does being a mercenary fall in between the two?

Funny factoid, last time Radulov's maturity problems kicked in he was around the same age PK Subban was this past season.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I am sure that Alex was born in Milwaukee. His dad played for the Admirals in the 1990s. I guess that makes him a Cheese Head Russian!
Doesn't he have Russian parents and lived most of his childhood life in Russia but his family was in the states when he was born because he was playing hockey? He's probably a duel citizen but idk the states and Russian citizenship laws

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
He was making 9.2 annually on his last deal... I doubt one year in the US would make KHL teams sour on him that much, he's still a legend over there and will only be 30. Besides, if he has a good year and Montreal doesn't renew his contract, there will be plenty of other NHL teams willing to sign him.

I agree that other NHL teams, and certainly KHL teams too, will be willing to give him a look if he fails to get an extension in Montreal, but at a much lower price than what he would get if he had been patient enough to negotiate himself a better deal. In relative terms, Montreal is offering him nothing, and if he fails to get an extension, he will be labeled as "couldn't cut it," and will be devalued accordingly.

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
I find it hilarious North Americans trying to say that Radulov has "calmed down", after not having watched any KHL games.

Just look at how he played during the season with CSKA. Everything is about him, his attitude on the bench is not a good one. He hasn't matured in the slightest.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Rivalry aside, coming at this as a hockey fan, seeing the complete flip some of you habs fans have on PK is outright ridiculous, I hated when we did it with Seguin and I think this bothers me more given that pk is my favorite player. Your organization screwed him over not the other way around. To trash his character while praising Radulov is at best, hypocritical. Seriously the spin you guys are buying is awful. He was the habs and loved your city more than anything, and your gm and coach screwed him over for their own pride.

99.9% of the fans still adore Subban and are absolutely PISSED about the trade. The group of people that you see hating on Subban are just a small vocal minority thta are falling for the Hab's anti-Subban PR spin which is being regurgitated by our local (mostly french) media. Just ignore them.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

so funny to read comments like these when MB acquired the best player out of this free agency.

But I guess it's right to be mad when you're yet another PK fanboy. Look, PK was my favorite player but you arent serious if you say Weber is a worse no.1 D for a cup run.

Who else would blame our GM for low risk high rewards moves than closet Leafs or Bruins fans, haters gonna hate I guess.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Doesn't he have Russian parents and lived most of his childhood life in Russia but his family was in the states when he was born because he was playing hockey? He's probably a duel citizen but idk the states and Russian citizenship laws

His parents are both from Belarus, and he lived in Russia for six years.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
A one-year deal seems ok because it's only one year.

The question is: if he plays well, who will be so dumb to give him a Semin-like contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->