Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] 1st round pick Poehling signs ELC with Canadiens

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Does Poehling count as "firepower"?

Well he's a first round talent that won Juniors' MVP, he's got good size too. A bit better pedigree and potential than Matthew Peca and Nicolas Deslauriers to say the least.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Didn’t know he had two brothers that played on the same team that is pretty interesting. My opinion is he has a high floor (very good 3C) and a lowish ceiling (decent 2C). Not a bad pick and should be a solid player for years to come.

Reactions: OB5 and jayhabsvgk

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That's fair. Though from what I've seen Poehling has low hockey IQ. He's like a 3C at max.

Low Hockey IQ?

Clearly you know nothing about the kid, thats his biggest assets. Big two-way Center.

His weakness at the draft was:
His top end speed. Wich he has realy worked on, not the fastest but above average with very good edge.
His shot. it's still very poor.
His Puck skill was mehh in his first NCAA year but realy picked it up big time.

Best assets:
Defensive play
vision, his cross-ice pass are out of this world.
Board play.

3C is basicly his floor, his ceilling is probably a great two-way 2C. Will probably settle for a average 2C.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Most Habs fans don't really care because he still won't need protection in the expansion draft. I believe he would need to play 11(?) games in order to be unprotected

Is this so? NHL.com says any third year professional is eligible to need protection.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I've watched a few games with him and he HAS good Hockey IQ he just needs more seasoning. I think the Habs have an up and coming franchise player on their hands.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad