News Article: MSG Gets Deal To Stream Local NHL Game Telecasts

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Nhltv and a dns masker

Pretty much forced to commit crimes to watch ur local hockey team if u don't have access to cable or are a cord cutter:shakehead

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
They'll probably restrict IP's as to prevent people like me from jumping on the account of a family member or friend and watching games from areas that are out of network. No way the NHL would allow that to happen as it would become a direct competitor to NHLTV.

It's really for what you said. You can catch games while you're out somewhere without a TV, staying somewhere where there is no MSG but is still in the area, or while you're at home and someone else is using the TV.

just FYI because I came here for some details before searching myself

MSG GO is already a thing and you can access live-streamed Knicks games. I logged on using my parent's Optimum account and was able to watch the Knicks post-game from Philadelphia, so out-of-market should be fine. Has a pretty great interface, allowed me to scroll back within the last ~24 hours and watch the Knicks game and some other programming (but not much.. mostly just the Knicks game associated programming). Has a slow motion + rewind 10 seconds option. Feed was pretty high quality. Did not see a chromecast option but they have an app that may have that.

one big caveat.. can only log-in using an optimum or comcast xfinity account. no other options.

from the website:
WATCH LIVE NY KNICKS, AS WELL AS MSG NETWORKS AWARD-WINNING PROGRAMMING ON YOUR PHONE, TABLET AND COMPUTER. MSG GO IS AVAILABLE AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO SUBSCRIBERS OF PARTICIPATING TELEVISION PROVIDERS WHO RECEIVE MSG NETWORKS AS PART OF THEIR PAY TELEVISION SUBSCRIPTION. NHL GAMES ARE COMING SOON!!

as a Devils fan who is currently out of market, this is amazing news as I can dump my NHL.tv subscription.. it's pretty inexpensive but I tend to not have to watch other teams anyways so a free option is way better (granted, you do need access to someone's cable accounts in NJ/NY). It will be kind of be a direct competitor to NHL.tv but considering it will only be for a few select teams and will not be something you can just subscribe to without an existing cable account.. not sure it will be much of a competitor. It will only be a switch for the people who are out of market but still have ties in-market. I also think Fox regional channels have something similar going on.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Was about to ask with the agreement in place the timeline for rollout, but it looks like it will indeed happen this season (granted for Optimum and Comcast users only):

In the coming weeks, MSG Networks’ unmatched lineup of exclusive local live NHL hockey games will be made available to customers of participating operators on MSG GO — MSG Networks’ live streaming and on demand product.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I just have internet with them, but their customer service has been fine. The price is good, too. I actually skipped FiOS for it. Service has been excellent with no downtime in two months so far.

The main reason I went with them is because I heard the exact opposite of you. Everyone I knew loved them since they changed ownership.

I was specifically told that they don't expect costs to be much since they have much of the infrastructure in place. According to the tech, the only real thing that will need to be done is running the fiber line itself from your home.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057700-Rate-Changes-12-1-16

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
Ugh, I have to be in the city on Saturday and dont know if theres going to be a TV with the game on. Was hoping this would be finalized.

You're going to be in the city the night of a Rangers Devils game and you're afraid there won't be a TV with the game on? :laugh:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You're going to be in the city the night of a Rangers Devils game and you're afraid there won't be a TV with the game on? :laugh:

Haha it depends on where my other half wants to the double date to take place. I told her to please keep a place with a TV in mind, she knew the Rangers were playing she had checked the schedule.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Good. Now they need to be able to offer MSGGo as a standalone service like HBONow and I won't have to pay for NHLtv

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't see how this is helpful. You still need an Optimum account (or Comcast, I think?) to use it... I guess it's good for like... people who are traveling? If you're stuck on the LIRR you can throw the game on your phone?

I don't know.

If you know someone that has an optimum account, can't you just use theirs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->