News Article: MSG Gets Deal To Stream Local NHL Game Telecasts

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't see how this is helpful. You still need an Optimum account (or Comcast, I think?) to use it... I guess it's good for like... people who are traveling? If you're stuck on the LIRR you can throw the game on your phone?

I don't know.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
They were about 5 years behind on the concept and still couldn't get it right.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't see how this is helpful. You still need an Optimum account (or Comcast, I think?) to use it... I guess it's good for like... people who are traveling? If you're stuck on the LIRR you can throw the game on your phone?

I don't know.

They'll probably restrict IP's as to prevent people like me from jumping on the account of a family member or friend and watching games from areas that are out of network. No way the NHL would allow that to happen as it would become a direct competitor to NHLTV.

It's really for what you said. You can catch games while you're out somewhere without a TV, staying somewhere where there is no MSG but is still in the area, or while you're at home and someone else is using the TV.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Verizon had no interest in an agreement like this so it was never going anywhere imo. Obvi it makes sense to do but only for the few people that use Optimum.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
They'll probably restrict IP's as to prevent people like me from jumping on the account of a family member or friend and watching games from areas that are out of network. No way the NHL would allow that to happen as it would become a direct competitor to NHLTV.

It's really for what you said. You can catch games while you're out somewhere without a TV, staying somewhere where there is no MSG but is still in the area, or while you're at home and someone else is using the TV.

This service has been provided for the Knicks via MSG GO for a year or two now. I'd imagine it follows the same blackout rules as that. Have you tried watching a Knick game through the app?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I wonder if I can use my parents optimum account credentials to stream the games...

would certainly save me some money on Gamecenter.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
fantastic news for me, personally.

I moved to southeast CT from southwest CT for work, but my family back home still has Comcast. I've only watched a handful of games this year due to borderline Rhode Island still being an "in-market" blackout area

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
This service has been provided for the Knicks via MSG GO for a year or two now. I'd imagine it follows the same blackout rules as that. Have you tried watching a Knick game through the app?

Only problem is you can't use airplay or the android equivalent to watch the games on your tv. At least I haven't seen a way to do it.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Only problem is you can't use airplay or the android equivalent to watch the games on your tv. At least I haven't seen a way to do it.

Google Chromecast + Localcast app is able to stream just about anything to your TV from an Android device.

I was able to stream HBO GO to my TV just fine, which isn't possible using the standard Chromecast app.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Google Chromecast + Localcast app is able to stream just about anything to your TV from an Android device.

I was able to stream HBO GO to my TV just fine, which isn't possible using the standard Chromecast app.

Well I have an apple tv which already has an hbo go app. Wouldn't chromecast also have that? Most streaming apps on ios devices allow airplay (eg sling player) but msg go does not.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Well I have an apple tv which already has an hbo go app. Wouldn't chromecast also have that? Most streaming apps on ios devices allow airplay (eg sling player) but msg go does not.

Chromecast doesn't have any resident apps - the app is your phone or laptop. All Chromecast does it allow you to stream whatever is on your phone/laptop to the TV.

Which can be pretty powerful if you use the right apps on your phone/laptop.

The Chromecast app is somewhat limited as to what it will stream - but third party streaming apps like LocalCast let you stream just about anything.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Verizon had no interest in an agreement like this so it was never going anywhere imo. Obvi it makes sense to do but only for the few people that use Optimum.

That's going to change once they start with their 10 gigabit fiber rollout. Makes sense that a Euro-owned company would realize how ****ing ****** American internet is.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

Not the most elegant, but you can AirPlay any app if you hook your iPhone/iPad directly to a MacBook/Mac. If you connect it via a cable and use Quicktime, you can live capture the iOS screen. Then just AirPlay from the Mac to the AppleTV.

Again, only a solution in a pinch if you want to use an app that has an AirPlay restriction (most don't).

Extra Note: MSGGo can be streamed via MSGGo.com, so you could AirPlay the entire screen from a Mac to an AppleTV. The above instructions are a way around AirPlay restrictions on certain iOS apps when a webstream is not available.

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Not the most elegant, but you can AirPlay any app if you hook your iPhone/iPad directly to a MacBook/Mac. If you connect it via a cable and use Quicktime, you can live capture the iOS screen. Then just AirPlay from the Mac to the AppleTV.

Again, only a solution in a pinch if you want to use an app that has an AirPlay restriction (most don't).

Extra Note: MSGGo can be streamed via MSGGo.com, so you could AirPlay the entire screen from a Mac to an AppleTV. The above instructions are a way around AirPlay restrictions on certain iOS apps when a webstream is not available.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
That's going to change once they start with their 10 gigabit fiber rollout. Makes sense that a Euro-owned company would realize how ****ing ****** American internet is.

Some family members have told me that there have been several price hikes already under the new ownership plus customer service is worse.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
available to MSG Networks subscribers via MSG Go

Still doesn't help those of us who want to cut the cord. :( I'd pay $20/month to watch NYR games (in HD) without cable.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Some family members have told me that there have been several price hikes already under the new ownership plus customer service is worse.

I just have internet with them, but their customer service has been fine. The price is good, too. I actually skipped FiOS for it. Service has been excellent with no downtime in two months so far.

The main reason I went with them is because I heard the exact opposite of you. Everyone I knew loved them since they changed ownership.

Until they see the American construction costs for laying down the lines. Yowza!

I would love me some giga-fiber though.

I was specifically told that they don't expect costs to be much since they have much of the infrastructure in place. According to the tech, the only real thing that will need to be done is running the fiber line itself from your home.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I just have internet with them, but their customer service has been fine. The price is good, too. I actually skipped FiOS for it. Service has been excellent with no downtime in two months so far.

The main reason I went with them is because I heard the exact opposite of you. Everyone I knew loved them since they changed ownership.

I was specifically told that they don't expect costs to be much since they have much of the infrastructure in place. According to the tech, the only real thing that will need to be done is running the fiber line itself from your home.

Really? Nice!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad