MSG from the CEO/President/Owner/Governor

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Ehh... we were MORE respected than we are now, sure, but let's not forget context:

1) Hasek was 40 years old when he signed with us.
2) he was coming off a major groin surgery, and there was a lot of doubt both about how a 40 year old body would respond to that surgery, as well as how lingering effects might affect his unique style (hmm... I wonder how that worked out...)
3) we were the only cup contender who offered him an opportunity to start. All other contenders at the time already had a starting goalie. He was chasing a cup. We were the only game in town if Hasek wanted to chase one more cup.
4) we didn't pay him the league minimum, we paid him $2 mil with a $4mil bonus if we won the cup that year, plus we held a $2.5 (ish)mil option on a 2nd year... but if we won the Cup the previous year, it became a mandatory $7mil option that Hasek could hold us to. Both parties agreed that we were Cup-or-Bust that year, and the contract reflected it.

So... I mean, yay Hasek? But also: context matters.

Also Ottawa would have a Cup by now if they had taken up Hasek's offer to play for 500k in 2006-07 instead of being sulky and petty about the Olympics injury

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Have they removed the cast from Christian Jaros's broken foot yet?
He was projected to make his return around this time or a bit later in march from what I heard earlierthis month, so presumably if not, he's close. Hard to get updates on these things for guys in the AHL.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also Ottawa would have a Cup by now if they had taken up Hasek's offer to play for 500k in 2006-07 instead of being sulky and petty about the Olympics injury

No they wouldn't have. Like, 100% would not have. You are not accounting for the Human factor.

The locker room turned on Hasek. There's no way we win a cup with a locker room that doesn't trust or want the starting goalie to be there.

Reactions: MarkStone

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No they wouldn't have. Like, 100% would not have. You are not accounting for the Human factor.

The locker room turned on Hasek. There's no way we win a cup with a locker room that doesn't trust or want the starting goalie to be there.
Isn't that part of the caveat "instead of being sulky..."?

He'd also have a full reg season to regain their trust, but even then, better teams have missed out on winning the cup, so it's still a big stretch to say had we signed him (and everybody was cool about it) we'd have won.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ehh... we were MORE respected than we are now, sure, but let's not forget context:

1) Hasek was 40 years old when he signed with us.
2) he was coming off a major groin surgery, and there was a lot of doubt both about how a 40 year old body would respond to that surgery, as well as how lingering effects might affect his unique style (hmm... I wonder how that worked out...)
3) we were the only cup contender who offered him an opportunity to start. All other contenders at the time already had a starting goalie. He was chasing a cup. We were the only game in town if Hasek wanted to chase one more cup.
4) we didn't pay him the league minimum, we paid him $2 mil with a $4mil bonus if we won the cup that year, plus we held a $2.5 (ish)mil option on a 2nd year... but if we won the Cup the previous year, it became a mandatory $7mil option that Hasek could hold us to. Both parties agreed that we were Cup-or-Bust that year, and the contract reflected it.

So... I mean, yay Hasek? But also: context matters.

Ah, still two million was a steal. I just distinctly remember the part where Hasek said he would play for 500k for the season.

It truly was a bad decision to not re-sign him for that.

I think we would have won the cup with a healthy Hasek 05 and 06.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Isn't that part of the caveat "instead of being sulky..."?

I guess so? I think at the end of the day, I just dislike a lot of "what if" scenarios that sports fans like to propose.

Like, what if Hasek had broken his leg in 2006, and knowing that we'd need a goalie for the playoffs, we traded for a goalie like Roloson or Theodore at the deadline instead of wasting assets on Tyler Arnason? And then that goalie was reliable enough (we didn't need our goalie to win games back in those days, just play consistent enough to not let in bad goals) in nets to lead a powerhouse team in front of him to a Cup? I mean, that would have been pretty cool! But... it didn't happen! So it's not a real thing. It's just one of an infinite number of cool scenarios that could have happened in one of an infinite number of cool alternate realities that exist in a multi-dimensional universe, but didn't.

It's like... what happened, happened. If it didn't happen, then it wouldn't have happened. There are literally, LITERALLY an infinite number of possible things that could have happened to the team in the 2005-06 season, or any season, but didn't. Worrying about one "what if" while ignoring the other 9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999+inf "what if"s seems utterly pointless to me. Like, mathematically pointless, because of the sheer mathematical insignificance of focusing on one potential alternate scenario among a selection of literal, mathematically infinite possible alternate scenarios.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I guess so? I think at the end of the day, I just dislike a lot of "what if" scenarios that sports fans like to propose.

Like, what if Hasek had broken his leg in 2006, and knowing that we'd need a goalie for the playoffs, we traded for a goalie like Roloson or Theodore at the deadline instead of wasting assets on Tyler Arnason? And then that goalie was reliable enough (we didn't need our goalie to win games back in those days, just play consistent enough to not let in bad goals) in nets to lead a powerhouse team in front of him to a Cup? I mean, that would have been pretty cool! But... it didn't happen! So it's not a real thing. It's just one of an infinite number of cool scenarios that could have happened in one of an infinite number of cool alternate realities that exist in a multi-dimensional universe, but didn't.

It's like... what happened, happened. If it didn't happen, then it wouldn't have happened. There are literally, LITERALLY an infinite number of possible things that could have happened to the team in the 2005-06 season, or any season, but didn't. Worrying about one "what if" while ignoring the other 9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999+inf "what if"s seems utterly pointless to me. Like, mathematically pointless, because of the sheer mathematical insignificance of focusing on one potential alternate scenario among a selection of literal, mathematically infinite possible alternate scenarios.

Tell that to Ottawa fans still obsessed with Jonathan Dahlen.

...but yeah, point taken. "What if" scenarios are a fun but ultimately useless part of being a sports fan.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is rather depressing to read.

A few of us have been saying Dorion needs help for a while. It is a very thin front office , especially when you consider the experience of Dorion and Lee in their roles. I am at dismay at some of the things going on with this team. I am convinced they are driving people away. Very unfortunate. Its like asking a sprinter to compete against the best in the world but , only providing them with 15 minutes a day to train on proper track.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Someone else on r/hockey summed it up pretty succinctly:

The Hockey Ops of the Ottawa Senators, at the highest level, is led by a tarnished pharmaceutical executive, a rookie General Manager, and a Strength & Conditioning coach.
Certainly headline worthy imo. It should be more widely discussed by the hockey media. They tend to sensationalize but to get some NHL management savy people weighing in would be good reporting and informative.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Someone else on r/hockey summed it up pretty succinctly:

The Hockey Ops of the Ottawa Senators, at the highest level, is led by a tarnished pharmaceutical executive, a rookie General Manager, and a Strength & Conditioning coach.

But I did find a photo of their analytics team:

Boulier1.JPG

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A few of us have been saying Dorion needs help for a while. It is a very thin front office , especially when you consider the experience of Dorion and Lee in their roles. I am at dismay at some of the things going on with this team. I am convinced they are driving people away. Very unfortunate. Its like asking a sprinter to compete against the best in the world but , only providing them with 15 minutes a day to train on proper track.
It kind of reminds me of the Trump WH, the front door seems to be locked while people are being thrown out the back door, never a dull moment. :laugh::popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad