MSG from the CEO/President/Owner/Governor

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Also, how did he go from “I’m not blowing a lifetime of hard work on a hockey team” to “I will make sure we will have the best team and a Stanley Cup”?

This PR firm is very Orwellian.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
giphy.gif

(We're Van Damme in this scenario btw)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
‘’I remain committed to investing what is needed to identify, draft and develop the players’....so we can rid of them when they are in their prime and start over again.

...Finished your thought, and every Sens fans thought, for you Eugene, and this one was free (but you have to pay for parking)

Exactly. He forgot to finish this other sentence: Younger, faster, more skilled.....and mostly cheaper.

If he was really serious about this team he wouldn't be shopping Karlsson and Hoffman around who are both young, fast, extremely skilled BUT will cost Uncle Euge too much.

Reactions: Deku

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
#MELNYKIN :thumbu:
When I came on board, the Ottawa Senators were in deep financial trouble. Together, with your support, we brought this team back to life and we have had Canada’s most successful NHL on-ice performance over the past 15 years. , I am just as committed to the Ottawa Senators and to keeping them in the City of Ottawa as I was in 2003.

Eugene Melnyk

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm not a PR person, here's what I would have like to read:

"Guys/Gals/Non-binaries

I screwed up.

I didn't spend enough money on this team. I cheaped out on the org. We have no scouts, no analytics. The one scout I have is running the NHL team and the masseur is running the AHL team. Sure, we fluked into a good season last year, but that was unsustainable. This is entirely my fault. Lesson learned.

You guys/gals/non-binaries pissed me off for not even selling out our home playoff games (hence my cheaping out), but that was no reason for lashing out at you, and threatening to relocate. I fricking love this team and this city. I owe you my liver feggodsake! Why would I relocate? That was the emotion talking. That was stupid. I need a PR person. Lesson Learned.

This is all on me. I need to convince you that the product is good, and that this team is going in the right direction now. I will hire competent people. We will have the best scouts the NHL has seen. Our analytics department will be the envy of Brad.. I mean Billy Beane. Hell, I will hire Billy Beane.

Karlsson? Hoffman? Duchene? They're going nowhere. We need to be fast, skilled. Enough "intangibles" BS. We all know "intangibles" is the word you use when you have nothing good to say about a player *cough*Burrows*cough*.

How am I going to finance all that, you're asking? It's time I realize I cannot do this alone. This is also a letter to announce that I'm now partnering with the competing bidders for Lebreton. With their money and my charm, we will together build a sustainable organization for the long term. Buckle up!

Love,

Your Euge.

PS: Parking is free next year."

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ill buy this when Melnyk says outright he heard the fans about Karlsson+will be re-signed, and the team will remain in Win Now Mode and that team spending will increase. Then an apology and promise to be hands off.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
Melnyk said:
On a personal level, let me repeat that I have every intention of rebuilding the Senators to become the finest team in the NHL and bringing a Stanley Cup to Ottawa.

Intentions are nice and well, but it'll take a lot more than just that to actually reach such lofty goals. Like financial means and the willingness to expend them, competent staff, an overarching plan for constructing a roster that is adapted to where the NHL is going and not where it was 15 years ago, and so much more.

I appreciate that Melnyk is trying to rebuild some of those bridges he nuked with his previous behaviour, but it's gonna take quite a bit more than a letter full of empty words to get me even close to buying into it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Intentions are nice and well, but it'll take a lot more than just that to actually reach such lofty goals. Like financial means and the willingness to expend them, competent staff, an overarching plan for constructing a roster that is adapted to where the NHL is going and not where it was 15 years ago, and so much more.

I appreciate that Melnyk is trying to rebuild some of those bridges he nuked with his previous behaviour, but it's gonna take quite a bit more than a letter full of empty words to get me even close to buying into it.

Is he trying to "rebuild those bridges"? Isn't a letter to the season-ticket holders par for the course for every team?

It's just a bunch of vague, non-committal words strewn together by a PR firm.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dear Senators fans,

For the last 10 years I have handcuffed our GM, insulted our coaches, lashed out at ththe fans and media and ruined the once proud repuation of the Senators Hockey Club.

We will be trading Erik Karlsson this summer because jet fuel for my ride back and forth to Barbados is not cheap. If you don’t believe, ask Kyke Turris, Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza and Zeno Chara how cheap I am be after they’ve given their all for the franchise.

You guys are great fans and deserve better, but I’ve got nothing else to do, so I’ve decided to hang on with the hopes that a Stanley Cup will put me back in your good graces. If that happens, we are having a party at the CTC and parking will only be $15z. If it doesn’t happen, at least the hot dogs are good.

From my desk in Toronto,
The guy who called Alfie unloyal

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well that didn't take long at all, and as an added bonus I took a few licks myself. A pack of feral dogs on fresh bone in here now, sad, I remember when you were all such nice pups.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Well that didn't take long at all, and as an added bonus I took a few licks myself. A pack of feral dogs on fresh bone in here now, sad, I remember when you were all such nice pups.
What do you expect? Rumours about our franchise player and the greatest Sen of all time getting dealt surface and you expect fans to react positively to a letter pretty much saying nothing? It sounds like he’s just preparing the damage control for when Karlsson is gone.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Man step off the ledge everything is going to be fine.

Let everyone have their opinion and you can have your own. It's okay and it's not something that will ever change. People have different opinions it's just the way life is. Some people dislike your opinion, some people like it. Let it be and bring your point of view, don't need to be so down on yourself for it.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
What's he referring to in this part:

"As a team, we need to get younger, faster and more skilled. We have already announced several key steps to making that happen."

What did they announce in this regard?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Well White and Brown would bring the average age of the team down. Adding Harpur instead of Oduya, younger. Adding a Gustavsson, younger. And then whoever our top 10 pick is. Gaborik and ANderson will be the vets.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->