MSG Camera Angle

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Watching some other teams around the league on their various networks, it seems that often times the camera angle is considerably higher and more zoomed out then the one we see on the MSG broadcast. That said, I think it makes for a much better viewing experience to be able to see more of the ice.

Just kinda curious as to everyone's take on this. Would you prefer a higher camera angle or do you think the MSG feed is suitable to your viewing needs? And, of course, if it's not.... how do we complain about it? Is there any hope that they'll ever move it higher up so us folks that want to watch sabres' games on MSG can enjoy the sport we love in an optimal way?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I've never had an issue with the MSG angles.

A few arenas, namely the Islanders, make for a generally bad viewing experience.

My only criticism of the MSG broadcasts is replays and between-the-whistle graphics/cutaways seem to extend into live play for a couple seconds pretty often.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I like the rinks where the camera is a little lower as it makes the games seem much faster.
ha, this is exactly why I hate the lower angles. It makes the game too fast. If I go to a game, for instance, it is never as fast as it seems on the msg feed, so I feel a get a better sense of what is actually going on, why the game is going how it is, etc. Makes evaluating players much easier in my book

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just pointing out MSG doesn't run the production, the Sabres do. Beyond that I don't know how much is a production decision and how much is practical due to the arena layout, though obviously they could change things a lot of they wanted to.

Reactions: Jim Bob

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Just pointing out MSG doesn't run the production, the Sabres do. Beyond that I don't know how much is a production decision and how much is practical due to the arena layout, though obviously they could change things a lot of they wanted to.
I think it is based off of the layout of the arena. It seems that some arenas have cameras set up in the 200 level while others keep them up near the press boxes. My favorites are the ones that are real high up. Montreal, Tampa, Ottawa, San Jose, etc come to mind. From the games I've watched today it seems about 50/50, but who knows

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The camera angles are largely driven by where in the arena they placed the spots where the cameras can be placed.

MSG the arena has one of the worst ones for me because the cameras are like two miles away from the ice.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I'm a fan of lower camera angles.

San Jose, Anaheim, St Louis are my three least favorite arenas to watch games from and I think they might be the three highest camera positions in the NHL.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I like low camera angles.

I hate when they show the power play from behind the net. Saw this on the NJ Devil's broadcast.

I don't mind the behind the net angle as a secondary view, but not the primary. Also, if you haven't sat in the end zone at a hockey game you are doing yourself a disservice. You see way more X's and O's from this vantage point.

Reactions: sabresfan65

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I like low camera angles.

I hate when they show the power play from behind the net. Saw this on the NJ Devil's broadcast.

Behind the net is the worst angle. Like, maybe you could use it for a replay if it shows something cool, like if a guy just made a sweet pass from behind the net through a tiny lane or something, but for regular gameplay, it's terrible.

I don't mind the behind the net angle as a secondary view, but not the primary. Also, if you haven't sat in the end zone at a hockey game you are doing yourself a disservice. You see way more X's and O's from this vantage point.

That's an interesting point. I've always opted for 2nd or 3rd tier center ice because I like having an equally good view of everything that happens in the game. Never tried the ends of the rink.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I must be the only one who likes the behind the net view

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad