Mrazek traded to the Flyers

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
With some of the posts in here, you'd think Holland just traded prime Steve Yzerman for Brett Ledba instead of getting rid of a goalie who mostly played like he belonged in the ECHL up until a few weeks ago....

Reactions: Oddbob

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I didn't say anything about being able to afford him. The fact is, he was out of town in April no matter what. It was pretty clear that the Wings soured on him before the year even started.

Also, I really don't think this is selling low on Mrazek. I just think he's more the guy he's been for two years than the guy we saw in late 14-15 and early 15-16. That he's more Jim Carey than Carey Price. Frankly, I think it's silly that Philly could potentially be giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for him when they literally could have waited two months and gotten him for free when we didn't qualify him.

Nope, but that's the post you were responding to. Bin Cookin was saying it was because we had to cut salary, and I'm saying the salary doesn't matter because we have the space for him and the RFAs. I agree, Holland had made up his mind about moving him last spring.

I don't know what Mrazek will end up being. I know what he's shown flashes of. Compared to that, we sold low when we didn't have to. I mean, if we keep him and he keeps sucking...so what? If we keep him and he finds and maintains that previous form, great. I think Philly needs a goalie and they are putting a very cheap bet on the table with the possibility of a huge payoff. Considering where this team is, I'd rather put that bet on Mrazek ourselves than deal him for a fourth.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I feel like I'm the only person who's watched Mrazek the past two years. He's statistically one of the worst goalies in the league.
Actually, this year there are 34 goalies who don't have as good a GAA as Mrazek and 38 who don't haver as good a SP and I doubt any of them have a coach who is as stupid as Mrazek's and one of the worst Ds in the league.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
A lot of people here either really don't care if the team is good, Holland has done nothing but run people out of the front office hand out complete bull**** contracts, Lied his ass off about what his plans where for the **** D he has built, He has no clue what he is doing, where our team is headed, or what to do too right the wrongs he has made. He keeps digging a deeper and deeper hole in hopes of getting back to the teams he was handed. He is with out a doubt the single biggest threat to our team and needs to go now. I have no trust in him to make any good picks with any picks he gets.

He keeps digging a bigger hole... but the players that everyone is excited about right now (Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA) were all drafted by him. The guy that you're having a damn panic attack about trading for likely a 3rd round pick was a Holland draft pick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kicking ourselves because we just have a top 5-10 goalie away for peanuts. Kids gonna be great for philly

Lets not get crazy. I woulda rathered Howard was moved but were gonna start calling Mrazek a top 5 goalie??? Have you seen him play hockey the last two years, or basically his entire career except half a season and a couple series against Tampa?

He has just enough ability to steal a few games and hurt the wings tank. Coreau comes up and hopefully loses some games, maybe Howard gets a sore groin and misses some time. Its all about draft picks now. Mrazek is gonna be 30 before the wings are competitive again and will likely hurt their draft chances if he ever hits his stride again

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Hmm seems like a good deal for both teams. Hope the Flyers go deep in the playoffs with him and we get the better pick(s). Something to keep in mind is that while Philly doesn't have the best defense, overall they're extremely competitive regardless of matchup. Mrazek has been given a second golden opportunity here. It'll be very interesting to see what he does with it.

As for Howard, I still think they'll shop him around when his NTC expires.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
With some of the posts in here, you'd think Holland just traded prime Steve Yzerman for Brett Ledba instead of getting rid of a goalie who mostly played like he belonged in the ECHL up until a few weeks ago....
It's more of a culmination of shit inept moves by the guy. I think people are finally sick and tired of his shit and no longer trust him to handle a rebuild.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Actually, this year there are 34 goalies who don't have as good a GAA as Mrazek and 38 who don't haver as good a SP and I doubt any of them have a coach who is as stupid as Mrazek's and one of the worst Ds in the league.

Ok... now include everything going back to 2/19/16 like Claypool originally alluded to.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Nope, but that's the post you were responding to. Bin Cookin was saying it was because we had to cut salary, and I'm saying the salary doesn't matter because we have the space for him and the RFAs. I agree, Holland had made up his mind about moving him last spring.

I don't know what Mrazek will end up being. I know what he's shown flashes of. Compared to that, we sold low when we didn't have to. I mean, if we keep him and he keeps sucking...so what? If we keep him and he finds and maintains that previous form, great. I think Philly needs a goalie and they are putting a very cheap bet on the table with the possibility of a huge payoff. Considering where this team is, I'd rather put that bet on Mrazek ourselves than deal him for a fourth.

And that's something where we just differ. I just can't see Mrazek doing anything more than just showing flashes. I don't think he'll ever truly put it together and be an elite or even above average goaltender for a sustainable period of time.

I mean, I just see enough things in his goaltending that raise red flags to me. Also, I think we did have to if Jimmy wasn't drawing any trade interest. It was a difference between getting a pick for a guy they'd clearly given up on or not getting anything if they waited past Monday.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Lets not get crazy. I woulda rathered Howard was moved but were gonna start calling Mrazek a top 5 goalie??? Have you seen him play hockey the last two years, or basically his entire career except half a season and a couple series against Tampa?

He has just enough ability to steal a few games and hurt the wings tank. Coreau comes up and hopefully loses some games, maybe Howard gets a sore groin and misses some time. Its all about draft picks now. Mrazek is gonna be 30 before the wings are competitive again and will likely hurt their draft chances if he ever hits his stride again

Sorry should have clarified I’m not saying he is that right now, but you put a solid team in front of him and actually play him as a starter I bet you he has top 5-10 stats in the league. When he’s gotten consistent playing time this year he’s been very good. He’s started to look like the old petr mrazek lately and I could easily see him leading the flyers to a 2nd or 3rd round series this year. You can disagree, but I just don’t see what we are accomplishing by keeping Howard over him for a 3rd/4th. And I could honestly see that becoming a 2nd and 3rd but still that’s not enough for a top 10 goalie. Again my opinion

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ok... now include everything going back to 2/19/16 like Claypool originally alluded to.

Why pick the last 15 games he played that season and not include the first thirty where he racked up something like a .930 sv% other than to try to cast shade on Mrazek's 15/16 season.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

People put way too much stock in the "Blash is an idiot" camp.

Blash has good talent for the level he's at, he's a really good coach. He has an undertalented team compared to the league he's in, he looks bad.

Jeff Blashill is a completely average hockey coach that is dealing with a below average roster.

Reactions: Winger98

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
And that's something where we just differ. I just can't see Mrazek doing anything more than just showing flashes. I don't think he'll ever truly put it together and be an elite or even above average goaltender for a sustainable period of time.

I mean, I just see enough things in his goaltending that raise red flags to me. Also, I think we did have to if Jimmy wasn't drawing any trade interest. It was a difference between getting a pick for a guy they'd clearly given up on or not getting anything if they waited past Monday.

2012-13Grand Rapids GriffinsAHL42217249897412.332316210530.9162402
2012-13Detroit Red WingsNHL2001194002.02110470.922---
2013-14Detroit Red WingsNHL90044913021.742401650.927---
2013-14Grand Rapids GriffinsAHL3222183064332.1022917740.9241000
2014-15Grand Rapids GriffinsAHL131675726132.069213310.927---
2014-15Detroit Red WingsNHL2900158563232.3816927050.918700
2015-16Detroit Red WingsNHL54222942115642.332716613330.921
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Petruzzelli, Larsson or van Pottelberghe are the future.

We don't even know if these guys will ever even play a single NHL game. You can't call them the future. In a perfect world, one of those 3 is ready to go in about 4 years. So what do we do until then? I fear that we will go with Jared Coreau as the starter. What scares me even more is the extension on the way to Jimmy next offseason. I can already see a 3 year, 15 million dollar deal being offered to Howard.

I hate Ken Holland so much. I just wish he would go away. He's similar to that annoying mosquito that continually pisses you off and never seems to leave you alone. Ken Holland is an annoying mosquito.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I didn't like him as a rookie? Never liked Howard, always claimed he was never good enough to win. Looks like I was spot on with this one.

It would be more accurate to say the teams Howard played for were never good enough to win. Goaltending has hardly been the reason why any Wings team in the past 25 years has failed to win.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
People put way too much stock in the "Blash is an idiot" camp.

Blash has good talent for the level he's at, he's a really good coach. He has an undertalented team compared to the league he's in, he looks bad.

Jeff Blashill is a completely average hockey coach that is dealing with a below average roster.

He's a f***ing imbecile.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Howard is bad enough to tank without Coreau
Look at his numbers since Mid November.
8-18
3.20 GAA

If Howard keeps up that pace we'll be in 29th by the end of the season.

Howard should be ready to start for Blash in the World Championships again.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
He keeps digging a bigger hole... but the players that everyone is excited about right now (Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA) were all drafted by him. The guy that you're having a damn panic attack about trading for likely a 3rd round pick was a Holland draft pick.
Lets talk real here!! Larkin is not now or ever going to be what we all hope he would be. Hes a good a 2nd line center, Mantha looks like Fraz light comes and goes only when hes here he is not take over a game player like the Mule, AA is fast and again a good 2nd line player. Little Bert is at best a tougher Malts. A hand full of good roll players does not make a winning team! And if that is your big defense of all the shit moves he has made then you have made my point for me lol. The guy is one of the worst GM's in hockey at this point sorry not sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad