Mrazek traded to the Flyers

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
New GM.
You start at the top. You hire a new GM.
The new GM should bring in his own coach and try to bring in his own trusted scouts.

Wright's career history is nothing special in the scouting department.
The Larkin pick was nothing special. He was the best center on the charts when Detroit picked and Detroit obviously needed centers (Most of the draft was about drafting centers).

Alex Tuch was more of a winger than a center. Larkin was rated higher than Schmaltz and Fabbri (who didn't really project as a center).

Probably the only question was Larkin or McCann.
And you go with the speedy hometown kid who's going to Michigan. Duh.

The Larkin pick is probably the easiest, most common sense and supported first round pick the Red Wings have made in years.

Interesting take, that is certainly not how it was received at all at the time.

Helm with hands......... This is the worst thing ever... You don't remember that?

On the current topic, I will be very surprised if Petr is in the NHL at all next year at this point.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
New GM.
You start at the top. You hire a new GM.
The new GM should bring in his own coach and try to bring in his own trusted scouts.

Wright's career history is nothing special in the scouting department.
The Larkin pick was nothing special. He was the best center on the charts when Detroit picked and Detroit obviously needed centers (Most of the draft was about drafting centers).

Alex Tuch was more of a winger than a center. Larkin was rated higher than Schmaltz and Fabbri (who didn't really project as a center).

Probably the only question was Larkin or McCann.
And you go with the speedy hometown kid who's going to Michigan. Duh.

The Larkin pick is probably the easiest, most common sense and supported first round pick the Red Wings have made in years.

And Matt Barzal was a common sense pick that the Bruins somehow managed to skip with three consecutive picks. You shouldn’t deride a good pick because it’s “easy to make”.

Wright, even if he’s nothing special in a good way, has not been the kind of failure that you want to paint him as. If, when you hire a new GM he insists on overhauling the scouting department, I don’t die on that hill. However, Tyler Wright does not deserve to be drummed out.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And Matt Barzal was a common sense pick that the Bruins somehow managed to skip with three consecutive picks. You shouldn’t deride a good pick because it’s “easy to make”.

That Barzal pick is currently best case about drafting.

Just perfect example how hard it is. Certain pick you expect to hit won't hit, but others will.

David Pastrnak (1st line sniper)
Charlie McAvoy (TOP4 D)
Brandon Carlo (TOP4 D)
Jake DeBrusk (2nd line wing)
Ryan Donato (2+2 points in 2 games, don't know how high his potential could be)
Danton Heinen (bottom 6 guy)
Anders Bjork

As I counted those amount of games from 2014-17 drafts, Boston was the best drafter in NHL. Highest pick was McAvoy #14 overall.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Interesting take, that is certainly not how it was received at all at the time.

Helm with hands......... This is the worst thing ever... You don't remember that?

On the current topic, I will be very surprised if Petr is in the NHL at all next year at this point.

The thread right here on these boards is pretty positive.
Detroit desperately needed a center. The entire draft was focused on centers.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Wright, even if he’s nothing special in a good way, has not been the kind of failure that you want to paint him as. If, when you hire a new GM he insists on overhauling the scouting department, I don’t die on that hill. However, Tyler Wright does not deserve to be drummed out.

There's no way for me to know whether a guy should be drummed out.
I'd sure love to know what was said when Vilardi was there at 8.

Does Holland turn to Wright and say, is Rasmussen still our guy? If so, what does Wright say?
To me, that's a "Barzal" type moment you reference.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Just perfect example how hard it is. Certain pick you expect to hit won't hit, but others will.

Charlie McAvoy (TOP4 D)
Brandon Carlo (TOP4 D)
Anders Bjork

As I counted those amount of games from 2014-17 drafts, Boston was the best drafter in NHL. Highest pick was McAvoy #14 overall.

I was kind of pointing it as “team who is good at drafting had three straight shots at a guy and didn’t take him”. And said guy turned out to be a fantastic player.

Tyler Wright has not performed poorly in the draft. No out and out busts and even later round guys still have intriguing futures. I can understand why a new GM would move on because they want their guy... but the bashfest on Tyler Wright because he didn’t make a splashy pick of a junior kid you like needs to stop.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I was kind of pointing it as “team who is good at drafting had three straight shots at a guy and didn’t take him”. And said guy turned out to be a fantastic player.

Tyler Wright has not performed poorly in the draft. No out and out busts and even later round guys still have intriguing futures. I can understand why a new GM would move on because they want their guy... but the bashfest on Tyler Wright because he didn’t make a splashy pick of a junior kid you like needs to stop.

Please. There is no bashfest.
Stop being dramatic.

Why don't you explain to me what Wright's credentials were?
Who were all his great victories in Columbus to get this plum job with the Red Wings?

His record in Detroit is hit and miss so far....
And no - his late round picks have not shown much promise.

The Red Wings haven't been this barren of prospects in quite awhile, despite the fact they pick more often and higher than they have since the 80s.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The thread right here on these boards is pretty positive.
Detroit desperately needed a center. The entire draft was focused on centers.

it was until that "Helm with hands" comment surfaced. I think it just confused the hell out of people more than anything, to think we got a guy the team was looking at as a glorified third line center with their highest pick in twenty years.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
They way he has played in Philly and the abundance of goaltenders and goalies prospects waiting do you guys think that anyone will offer him an NHL contract?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Charlie McAvoy (TOP4 D)
Brandon Carlo (TOP4 D)
Anders Bjork

Yeah, Boston appears to be retooling on the fly rather successfully. Pretty impressive. I thought they were done two years ago.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
it was until that "Helm with hands" comment surfaced. I think it just confused the hell out of people more than anything, to think we got a guy the team was looking at as a glorified third line center with their highest pick in twenty years.

But my goodness.
Let's remember that 2014, Helm was a super-duper, ultra speedy, and hardworking center/winger who just didn't have any hands.

So you add hands to him, and you've got a pretty good player.

Anyway... there've only been a few times in my lifetime who I wanted.
Hudler.
Larkin.

That's about it.

The Larkin one was pretty easy.
It was Larkin or McCann. And the local ties made it a pretty easy pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, the reaction prior to that comment was not really too bad. I think there were [much] better comparisons to use, but oh well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I mean... Helm with hands is one hell of a good player. And I'm not even sure it's all that wrong.

Fast as hell. Check.
Tenacious on the puck. Check.
Works hard. Check.
Plays well on both sides of the puck. Check.
Relatively simple game. Check. (Not exactly dangling people out of their jockstraps or making Datsyukian passes out there)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
But my goodness.
Let's remember that 2014, Helm was a super-duper, ultra speedy, and hardworking center/winger who just didn't have any hands.

So you add hands to him, and you've got a pretty good player.

Anyway... there've only been a few times in my lifetime who I wanted.
Hudler.
Larkin.

That's about it.

The Larkin one was pretty easy.
It was Larkin or McCann. And the local ties made it a pretty easy pick.

no it wasn't see my new post on HFBoarders draft choices.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
no it wasn't see my new post on HFBoarders draft choices.
This is why you never ever trust people's words. Even if people aren't trying to lie, their memory is incredibly faulty and brains are given to all sorts of bias.

Data always. The goal should be to take out as much of the human element as possible.

Reactions: BinCookin

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is why you never ever trust people's words. Even if people aren't trying to lie, their memory is incredibly faulty and brains are given to all sorts of bias.

Data always. The goal should be to take out as much of the human element as possible.

this is why i like running data on things, to defeat any personal opinion.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Of course he would be well received in this thread... its after we drafted him. (we are kind of locked in at that point).

the predraft threads are the key.
He wasn't even really that well received in that thread. Plenty of complaining about drafting a bottom 6 center, plenty of posts calling him a bust already. I'd imagine the draft day thread is a lot more scathing.

Edit: I guess not on my last line, thanks Frk it.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Of course he would be well received in this thread... its after we drafted him. (we are kind of locked in at that point).

It was the draft day thread, it was later re-titled.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Come on. There are dozens of pre-draft threads.
Over the course of a season, you can find people flipflopping on on potential draft picks on a regular basis.
On Vilardi, for example, I was dead set against him (if we had won a lottery pick). I watched him once as a Spitfire during the season and didn't like the scouting reports I was reading. And then I watched the Memorial Cup, when he was ridiculous and put those skating complaints to rest.
So, for someone like me, which post would you have used? The one where I said, don't draft him? Or the one where I said draft him.
Same with Klim Kostin. I changed my tune on him. I also changed my tune on Liljegren as the season went on.
Also - when you record someone's "vote," are you recording it before or after the draft position is locked in.

The only time you can really ask the question before the pick is after the team before you has just drafted.
That's when it matters. Your position is locked. The players already drafted are off the table.

So I think the draft-day thread on a player is just fine. Sure, a lot of homers will pollute the thread with their homer-tastic views.

But why don't you go look at the Rasmussen thread and compare it to the Larkin thread.

The Larkin pick was probably the most well-received first round pick I've seen. Maybe Mantha. Maybe Fischer, way back when, but fans didn't know shit about the draft in 1998 and we certainly didn't have has much opportunity to bitch about it online.
But I do remember fans on the old newsgroup loving up the Fischer pick.
Mantha was pretty well received.

But in terms of draft day popularity among the Detroit fanbase, I'd rank our firsts since Fischer like so:

Larkin
Mantha
Fischer
Svechnikov
Kindl
Smith
Sheahan
Kronwall
Cholowski
Rasmussen
McCollum

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Sorry i didnt realize the draft day thread was the one you posted. In which case, any posts before larkin is selected is likely what i reecorded in my data sheet.

And Larkin was not the top choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad