Mrazek traded to the Flyers

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
for once it would be nice for you to explain your posts when other people respond to them rather than deflecting and insulting the poster. obviously tsweeney went too far with his post but other people have responded to your posts in the past (including me) and have received nothing but condescending and insulting replies back from you
I think we have been splitting hairs and beating a dead over 33 pages.
I apologise if I went too far.

Anyhow
1. We want Mrazek to win his games so we get the pick/s we hope for.
2. We all agree that we need more than 5 games to see how well he is doing. Obviously he had 3 great games followed by 3/4 extremely bad games

Now if Mrazek continues this bad, he will be lucky to get a backup job..

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
for once it would be nice for you to explain your posts when other people respond to them rather than deflecting and insulting the poster. obviously tsweeney went too far with his post but other people have responded to your posts in the past (including me) and have received nothing but condescending and insulting replies back from you
I apologise.
Sure. But some posters mix up or do not know the basic hockey, yet they insist to discuss.
An example in this thread was where a poster claimed GAA was the goalie’s individual stats.
When it come to the stats we have
Players:
Goals
Assists
+/- (*). This one is tricky

Goalies
SV%
GAA
Winning % (*) this one is also tricky

When it come to Mrazek and the wings, I will refer to Osgood. We went with Hasek in ‘02 and won the cup (arguably top 3 goalie in the league). Then in ‘08 with Osgood. And Osgood was one of a very few who fell short one game of winning it back to back. Do we have any goalie in the last 20 years actually doing it?

What I see now that the game has changed. Do we have any candidates for HOF among the top 10 goalies in the league? How many goalies have managed to keep their over 10+ years?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think we have been splitting hairs and beating a dead over 33 pages.
I apologise if I went too far.

Anyhow
1. We want Mrazek to win his games so we get the pick/s we hope for.
2. We all agree that we need more than 5 games to see how well he is doing. Obviously he had 3 great games followed by 3/4 extremely bad games

Mrazek has played 2 good games in a flyers uniform. The Ottawa game was a win but he was far from great.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Maybe that $900k on the UFA market I predicted wasn't so hilarious afterall... :sarcasm:

It at least seems like he certainly isn't getting that $4.15M QO now.

Reactions: 14ari13

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The funny thing is over the last two games I don't know if I can fault him for any of the goals against. The Flyers defense has been like swiss cheese lately.

The Flyers are going to have to bounce back at some point, but it will depend on if Mrazek can be consistent enough to stop the puck.

Reactions: 14ari13

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I apologise.
Sure. But some posters mix up or do not know the basic hockey, yet they insist to discuss.
An example in this thread was where a poster claimed GAA was the goalie’s individual stats.
When it come to the stats we have
Players:
Goals
Assists
+/- (*). This one is tricky

Goalies
SV%
GAA
Winning % (*) this one is also tricky

When it come to Mrazek and the wings, I will refer to Osgood. We went with Hasek in ‘02 and won the cup (arguably top 3 goalie in the league). Then in ‘08 with Osgood. And Osgood was one of a very few who fell short one game of winning it back to back. Do we have any goalie in the last 20 years actually doing it?

What I see now that the game has changed. Do we have any candidates for HOF among the top 10 goalies in the league? How many goalies have managed to keep their over 10+ years?

Yeah, this just turned into a crapfest and I definitely threw a stick of dynamite on the fire.

For goalies, the best stats that we have for comparison are sv% and GAA because both of these are, ostensibly, things within the goalies control. Obviously there are saves that have nothing to do with the goalie messing up, but in terms of a large sample size (a season, a career) these tend to balance out with saves he made that were complete luck.

And if you are a good goaltender, you will have a consistently higher sv% and a consistently lower GAA. A guy like Osgood shows the weakness of those stats, as his GAAs were actually close or superior to what Jimmy Howard's have been, but Jimmy's sv% is a good deal higher. The Wings in the late 90s gave up a ridiculously low number of shots, so a guy's sv% will be lower because he's not getting to pad that stat with unscreened point shots that realistically stand no chance of going in, but his GAA will stay low because they're also not giving up that many goals.

And on the any HOF candidates?

I think you could make some kind of argument for the following. They may not get there, but their names will definitely be mentioned.

Guys without a Cup who would probably lock up HoF spot with one.

Carey Price - among best goalies in league year in, year out. Needs team success.
Henrik Lundqvist - among best goalies in league year in, year out. Needs team success.
Sergei Bobrovsky actually has a shot. He's won two Vezinas. He'll need some team trophies to get real consideration, but he's been a top of the heap goalie.
Marc-Andre Fleury - Won 09 Cup, big part of Pitts success since drafted. If Vegas wins this year, he's a HoFer, full stop.

Guy with Cup/(s) who need more regular season numbers
Matt Murray has a shot if he continues to be an elite goalie for a decade. Has two Cups already.
Jonathan Quick - Won two cups with ludicrous playoff runs. Needs more regular season success.

Guys who have very good stats and look like they could trend to a Cup if their team gets better
Cory Schneider - If the Devils rip off a sustained string of success in the coming years with guys like Hischier and Hall leading the way.
Braden Holtby - Caps have a crazy amount of regular season success and Holtby has glittering stats in that. If they can break through and win a Cup, his candidacy gains a lot of legitimacy.

Basically, there are a bunch of really good goalies who need one thing on their resume to have a very strong HoF candidacy.

And to end, winning % for a goalie is a worthless stat. It relies on way too many variables that the goalie has absolutely no control over and the results of the stat can reliably over a large sample size be borne out by the peripherals. It is exactly the same as wins in baseball. Good underlying numbers will tend to lead to good win/loss results, but due to variability in external factors sometimes do not.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The only way Mrazek was working out in Detroit is if they cleaned house of all the management and coaches that had given up on him. We saw the writing on the wall the minute the "character" pieces started coming out from the Wings media.

Given this, I'm happy they got something out of a player they were ready to move on from. I don't think ideally it's the correct move, but hell, it's better than trying to keep everyone. We've seen how that works out.

Howard is a good stopgap while the team looks to the future in net. Who knows, maybe Howard even transitions into cheap veteran mentor after his current deal expires. Howard spotting 20-30 games a year is better than most teams have as a backup plan.

Reactions: njx9

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Mrazek has played 2 good games in a flyers uniform. The Ottawa game was a win but he was far from great.

It’s not a dead horse, it’s a dead parrot.

Everyone agreed that beating a dead horse is beyond pointless, but you have to keep it going.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Maybe that $900k on the UFA market I predicted wasn't so hilarious afterall... :sarcasm:

It at least seems like he certainly isn't getting that $4.15M QO now.
Mrazek never earned that 4M. I have no idea why Holland gave him that much. I think he has a chance to turn his game around. We will see how both he and the team respond, but Mrazek had 3-4 brutal games.
Yeah, this just turned into a crapfest and I definitely threw a stick of dynamite on the fire.

For goalies, the best stats that we have for comparison are sv% and GAA because both of these are, ostensibly, things within the goalies control. Obviously there are saves that have nothing to do with the goalie messing up, but in terms of a large sample size (a season, a career) these tend to balance out with saves he made that were complete luck.

And if you are a good goaltender, you will have a consistently higher sv% and a consistently lower GAA. A guy like Osgood shows the weakness of those stats, as his GAAs were actually close or superior to what Jimmy Howard's have been, but Jimmy's sv% is a good deal higher. The Wings in the late 90s gave up a ridiculously low number of shots, so a guy's sv% will be lower because he's not getting to pad that stat with unscreened point shots that realistically stand no chance of going in, but his GAA will stay low because they're also not giving up that many goals.

And on the any HOF candidates?

I think you could make some kind of argument for the following. They may not get there, but their names will definitely be mentioned.

Guys without a Cup who would probably lock up HoF spot with one.

Carey Price - among best goalies in league year in, year out. Needs team success.
Henrik Lundqvist - among best goalies in league year in, year out. Needs team success.
Sergei Bobrovsky actually has a shot. He's won two Vezinas. He'll need some team trophies to get real consideration, but he's been a top of the heap goalie.
Marc-Andre Fleury - Won 09 Cup, big part of Pitts success since drafted. If Vegas wins this year, he's a HoFer, full stop.

Guy with Cup/(s) who need more regular season numbers
Matt Murray has a shot if he continues to be an elite goalie for a decade. Has two Cups already.
Jonathan Quick - Won two cups with ludicrous playoff runs. Needs more regular season success.

Guys who have very good stats and look like they could trend to a Cup if their team gets better
Cory Schneider - If the Devils rip off a sustained string of success in the coming years with guys like Hischier and Hall leading the way.
Braden Holtby - Caps have a crazy amount of regular season success and Holtby has glittering stats in that. If they can break through and win a Cup, his candidacy gains a lot of legitimacy.

Basically, there are a bunch of really good goalies who need one thing on their resume to have a very strong HoF candidacy.

And to end, winning % for a goalie is a worthless stat. It relies on way too many variables that the goalie has absolutely no control over and the results of the stat can reliably over a large sample size be borne out by the peripherals. It is exactly the same as wins in baseball. Good underlying numbers will tend to lead to good win/loss results, but due to variability in external factors sometimes do not.

IF

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I can speak for last weekend's disaster for Mrazek. But the loss this week? I only saw the first four goals.
Breakaway. 2 on 1. Backdoor pass. deflection on a screen.

You provide him with decent defense and he'll be a solid goalie.
But if you play amateur hour defense, nobody is going to save you.
Not Mrazek. Not Howard. Not Price. Not Rinne.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I can speak for last weekend's disaster for Mrazek. But the loss this week? I only saw the first four goals.
Breakaway. 2 on 1. Backdoor pass. deflection on a screen.

You provide him with decent defense and he'll be a solid goalie.
But if you play amateur hour defense, nobody is going to save you.
Not Mrazek. Not Howard. Not Price. Not Rinne.

Wow... that sounds like literally every goalie that's ever played in the NHL. Not exactly a glowing review of a goaltender.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
They have 13 games left, so he should Get another win.
I think the sample size is too small to compare his wings vs Phylli numbers. But we are getting closer, maybe next 5 games.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
He played pretty solidly against a really good team. Hopefully we see more of this Petr then the bad Petr.

He was awesome, easily the number one star. He made a glove save on Laine in the first that was unreal. Love watching Petr when he plays like that, he had that swagger and cockiness going from the get go, could feel it was going to be a great game for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->