Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
COUNTERPOINT:

56f928b8db993ab764917224e3efbdee--ric-flair-wisdom.jpg

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
For the love of God, can we please just move on from Cam Ward? We cannot solve our issues with a franchise icon looking over anyone's shoulder.

We'll move on when someone other than him looks like a halfway decent goaltender while wearing the Canes uniform.

Until then, we should probably keep him around in case whoever our next goaltending solution is pulls a "Lack/Darling'.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Why the hell are there 30 other team that can figure out how to get a goaltender that isn't just god f***ing awful, but year after endless year this one cannot. I mean there are many teams with TWO good goalies- why can we not just have one?

This whole business with Grubauer for a 2nd round pick is revolting. They already have a really good goalie and they only have to spend a 2nd round pick to get ANOTHER solid tender. Can you imagine?

Dundon should have been on the horn with the Avs the second that trade went down and offered them something they couldnt refuse to flip him immediately.

Reactions: Unsustainable

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Lets face it. One of these years we're gonna have to blow a 1st rounder on the #1 rated G prospect. There is no other way to solve this problem long term.
Ned is just OK, everyone else is a 3-7 round pick. Hoping for a bullseye on a mid-late round dart throw may be the best way to build a deep goaltending pool, but not the best way to land a future #1.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I don't mind if we target Carter Hutton, he's been a pretty solid backup goalie the past few years...but I don't want him as a starter OR to be the other half of a Darling tandem. OR to give him a big multi-year contract. Guessing Colorado wants Grubs and Varly to tandem (or to have a good goalie for when Varly gets injured). I'm not sure DeSmith is really ready for full-time NHL duties (50/50 starter split), nor do I see any incentive for **itsburgh to send him our way (he's been better than Jarry). Speaking of Jarry, I've seen nothing from him to indicate NHL starter (nominally better than Cam Ward). I might have been interested in Schneider last year, saying 16-17 was just a down year for him, but now it's 2 down years in a row...are they a fluke or a trend? And is NJ ready to commit to Kinkaid? Lehner had decent stats for a bad team, but hearing Buffalo fans it sounds like he was a lot like Darling, but maybe quick enough to be a bit luckier? Do we want to gamble on a guy like Garret Sparks? I mean, he has no NHL games the past 2 year, but was dominant in the AHL, is he ready to make the jump? And if he is, I'm guessing Toronto would probably work him in behind Andersen and get rid of McBackup. Harri Sateri could be ready, but Florida likely keeps him to platoon with Reimer.

Just not a lot of options out there that are realistically available, or would be worth the assets to acquire.

Best case may be Hutton/Schneider? Might be passable for a couple years. Or some combo of Hutton/Lehner/Sparks?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Best case may be Hutton/Schneider? Might be passable for a couple years. Or some combo of Hutton/Lehner/Sparks?
You will need to work Darling into your proposed tandems. Both Waddell and Dundon have been pumping the brakes on moving him all offseason, so my guess is we should listen and expect him to at least be the backup next year.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Wasting a 1st on a 30 year old with a history of nagging injuries or a 35 year old is an awful idea unless we already know that the 1st we have is a late 1st.

It's better than the status quo, wasting a 1st on a goalie who hasn't proven they can compete at the NHL level, or continuing to cycle through backups as starters.

We don't have to *win* a trade for it to be the right move. We have the depth to withstand the loss of the pick and solves a major problem for us for a few years. At the same time, we need to work a succession plan in net.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Lets face it. One of these years we're gonna have to blow a 1st rounder on the #1 rated G prospect. There is no other way to solve this problem long term.
Ned is just OK, everyone else is a 3-7 round pick. Hoping for a bullseye on a mid-late round dart throw may be the best way to build a deep goaltending pool, but not the best way to land a future #1.

Our best bet with any 1st rounder is to try to land a #1 center.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's better than the status quo, wasting a 1st on a goalie who hasn't proven they can compete at the NHL level, or continuing to cycle through backups as starters.

We don't have to *win* a trade for it to be the right move. We have the depth to withstand the loss of the pick and solves a major problem for us for a few years. At the same time, we need to work a succession plan in net.
I mean, I'll gladly give a 1st for some proven starters, but those guys you mentioned likely put us in the same position, and possibly as soon as next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad