Mrazek/Bernier or other?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not Mrazek.

Bernier kicks the can down the road (certainly won’t be our starter for the next 3-5 years), but if that’s all we can manage that’s fine.

I’m curious if we are actually looking to solve the goaltending problem this offseason, or just find an acceptable, below league average but not league-worst stopgap. The market would suggest we are going for the latter. Grubauer would’ve been an attempt at the former, other than that I see a lot of guys that would be the latter.

That said, coming off of 11 years of the same goalie, maybe I need to change my expectations. Not every franchise does the whole “find your goalie for the next 5 years” thing. Maybe we are the next franchise in the Philadelphia, Winnipeg, St Louis, Calgary mold to just awkwardly keep trading Brian Elliott and Steve Mason to each other.

(And, compared to what we’ve gotten from our goaltending the last three years, I’ll take that.)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That said, coming off of 11 years of the same goalie, maybe I need to change my expectations. Not every franchise does the whole “find your goalie for the next 5 years” thing. Maybe we are the next franchise in the Philadelphia, Winnipeg, St Louis, Calgary mold to just awkwardly keep trading Brian Elliott and Steve Mason to each other.

(And, compared to what we’ve gotten from our goaltending the last three years, I’ll take that.)
Assuming Slavin and Pesce continue their growth, and knowing we're bringing in Hamilton to create an excellent defensive core for at least the next 3 seasons, I think we could end up being one of those franchises that makes a goalie look a lot better than he might actually be, based on the play in front of him. You know about the struggles of a team like Philly and Winnipeg over the long haul because their defense routinely hung their goalie out to dry, and with a subpar player in net, things went to shit. Its no coincidence the second that Philly shored up its D (at least for a brief time) with Pronger, they were able to ride Michael Leighton to Game 6 OT of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I think that's the angle we're taking right now. Can't fix the goalie overnight, well then time to make everything in front of him such a nightmare to get through that all you need is a goalie who can make the routine save.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Khudobin - because he can be most of a starter
Anderson - if, and only if, we can get him for super cheap asset-wise
Bernier - because he's been a bit below average starter in the past; not great but better that what we've had
Lehner - he's still young and maybe our defense will give him a bit more confidence
Hutton - only on a 2 year deal at most

I'm assuming that Ward or some other semi-reliable option is there as a back up.

I'd do exactly what Waddell said they were going to do, in that I'd bring in at least 3 tenders and let them battle royale it out for the starter and the back up position. I'd send the 3rd guy somewhere else...

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Assuming Slavin and Pesce continue their growth, and knowing we're bringing in Hamilton to create an excellent defensive core for at least the next 3 seasons, I think we could end up being one of those franchises that makes a goalie look a lot better than he might actually be, based on the play in front of him. You know about the struggles of a team like Philly and Winnipeg over the long haul because their defense routinely hung their goalie out to dry, and with a subpar player in net, things went to ****. Its no coincidence the second that Philly shored up its D (at least for a brief time) with Pronger, they were able to ride Michael Leighton to Game 6 OT of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I think that's the angle we're taking right now. Can't fix the goalie overnight, well then time to make everything in front of him such a nightmare to get through that all you need is a goalie who can make the routine save.
The addition of Hamilton has done very little to give CAR a better defensive defense. Pronger? LOL

If they keep Slavin and Pesce together, and bring in a quality defensive defenseman to play with Hamilton, then you *might* have what you're looking for. Even then, the goaltender will still need to be at least average...there's just no getting around that.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This is not the year to be in search for a starting goalie. All that's out there are 1B types, at best. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there's only one potential solution in net for this franchise next season: Nedeljkovic. On an optimistic note, I think he's the perfect stylistic fit if the defensive system is similar. I'd like to see him given a real look this time around if the goalies falter.

Keep the future books clean-ish and re-sign Ward for 1 year. He's the one solid goalie I can see doing that with this franchise.

Put Darling on a short leash and I mean short. If he's sub-.900 in mid-October, swap him out with Nedeljkovic.

Ward
Darling/Nedeljkovic

Nedeljkovic/Booth/Helvig
Darling/Booth/Helvig

Booth/Helvig
ECHL Back-up

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This is not the year to be in search for a starting goalie. All that's out there are 1B types, at best. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there's only one potential solution in net for this franchise next season: Nedeljkovic. On an optimistic note, I think he's the perfect stylistic fit if the defensive system is similar. I'd like to see him given a real look this time around if the goalies falter.

Keep the future books clean-ish and re-sign Ward for 1 year. He's the one solid goalie I can see doing that with this franchise.

Put Darling on a short leash and I mean short. If he's sub-.900 in mid-October, swap him out with Nedeljkovic.

Ward
Darling/Nedeljkovic

Nedeljkovic/Booth/Helvig
Darling/Booth/Helvig

Booth/Helvig
ECHL Back-up
Ned showed some solid improvement in the AHL last year, but was still pretty inconsistent...he was either >.920 or <.900, little in between. IMO, if there's ANY chance of him making the NHL in the future, you let him continue to develop in the AHL vs bringing him up to the NHL before he's ready and potentially destroying his confidence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad