Mr. Irrelevant: Honor or Blame?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'd still consider it an honor. Hell, some UDFA go on to terrific careers and get paid, yet Mr. Irrelevant was still chosen over all of them each year.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Does it have any advantage? Financially?

To be clear, im from Europe and im not very familiar with NFL rules.
I know that the NFL has embraced the gimmick of it, so Mr. Irrelevant is awarded with a trip to Disney World and some other stupid prizes or something

Not sure if a 7th rounder is guaranteed any contract status vs an undrafted guy.

but I don't feel like looking any of the details up

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
"Mr. Irrelevant" and "Irrelevant Week" arose in 1976, when former Southern California and NFL receiver Paul Salata founded the event in Newport Beach, California. He continued to announce the final pick of the NFL draft until 2013; from 2014 his daughter took over in announcing the pick. During the summer after the draft, the new Mr. Irrelevant and his family are invited to spend a week in Newport Beach, California, where they enjoy a golf tournament, a regatta, a roast giving advice to the new draftee, and a ceremony awarding him the Lowsman Trophy. The trophy mimics the Heisman, but depicts a player fumbling a football.[1]

Honestly not a bad deal IMO

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's a honor to be drafted, but I think at that point, you're probably better off being undrafted and picking a team that gives you the best chance of catching on.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It's a honor to be drafted, but I think at that point, you're probably better off being undrafted and picking a team that gives you the best chance of catching on.

You do but you get a lot less money and face more of a challenge sticking on the roster.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
in rare cases, like la'el collins, UDFA is better. get to pick your team and make more money, total and guaranteed. leary also got better deal by going undrafted, instead of being mr irrelevant. i'm sure there have been couple of more but they are rare.

UDFA become restricted free agents after year 3. so they have a chance to earn more money in those first 4 years if they end up being a good player compared to a late round pick. either because of an extension or high tender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad